House Price Crash Forum
FaTB

Gold Vs Silver

Why would you invest in Gold rather than Silver or vice versa.

It may seem like a silly question but what's the difference ?

Why would you invest in Gold rather than Silver or vice versa.

It may seem like a silly question but what's the difference ?

Good question!

I'm no expert, of course, but I have been buying both Gold & Silver!

Silver is dead cheap right now, (about 7 Quid an Oz), whilst Gold is over 250 Quid as I am sure you are aware.

There are some people out there who state, and have indeed provided evidence, that there is now less refined above ground Silver now than Gold.

Take a look at this site: www.silver-investor.com which will give you a very clear picture of what is happening in the Silver market.

My view is that Silver is just so cheap right now and that if the prices do indeed explode upwards, why not just take a punt and wait to see?

Silver bullion coins are easy to buy, but cost considerably more that the Spot price, shop around you can get some from the US for reasonable prices.

If I were you, I'd buy both Gold & Silver.

Good luck!

I want to get my hands on some of the shinny stuff but i cant seem to find a 'nice' way of buying. The equivilant of goldmoney would be best for me.

Any suggestions guys?

I want to get my hands on some of the shinny stuff but i cant seem to find a 'nice' way of buying. The equivilant of goldmoney would be best for me.

Any suggestions guys?

I understand Barclays are looking into setting up some form of Electronic Trading of Silver:

http://news.silverseek.com/TedButler/1120048322.php

I don't think this has been established yet and it could be a while longer, still you could alway buy some Silver bullion whilst you wait.......it's cheap now remember!

Good luck.

Any suggestions guys?

Baird & Co have silver accounts. minimum investment 5K. You dont have to pay VAT on the silver as they hold it. Its 7% buying and 1% to sell.

Baird & Co.

137 High St.,

London E15 2RB.

Tel: 0208 555 5217

Any suggestions guys?

There doesn't seem to be an efficient way of buying physical silver in GB unless you order it from the USA and wait 5 - 8 weeks for it to arrive, if it ever does. I've bought some big coin and 1kg bars from Chard, not at spectacularly good prices, but the downside isn't too serious and the upside could be spectacular eventually. At the end of they day it's nice to have, if like me you are a commodity fetishist.

You have to expect physical silver to be well over spot because minting and distribution costs will be similar to gold but the value of the metal in the coin is only 1/60th as much. The bigger the coin the less the spot-plus margin, so 10oz coins are probably your best bet, but bars are better still if you can afford them. A 100 Toz bar will only cost about £500 at the moment.

"silver today is the greatest investment opportunity in the history of the world."

Maybe just a slight exaggeration.

CORN and WHEAT are good too

True!

However, you can't really hide corn or wheat under the floor boards & just leave it there for a few years in case of that 'rainy day' when you might need to spend it.

Silver is cheap, everyone seems to agree on this point, and the potential for a massive price increase remains.

That is the attraction of physical Silver!

It's a bit like the Lottery........it's cheap, it's easy & it could make you rich on day! (only you have got more chance of a winner with Silver than a lottery ticket).

Cheers.

G.,

I dont disagree with any of that.

But if Silver goes up 50%, some of my silver shares will double

Dr.B

Fair enough!

Looks like the moral of the story is ........to buy physical & stock (can't go wrong this way).

Frankly, I am somewhat concerned about how the World has 'suddenly' changed, what with Rita bearing down on Texas & the incresed oil prices (and Gold price increases too).

Just look at the news today - some serious names giving serious warnings!

The World is looking very scary this week!

Cheers.

What's the obsession with physical silver?

A hassle to buy: a hassle to store

By trading aggressively in volatile gold sharesand derivatives, I have DOUBLED the value of my most active trading account in less than two months.  You cannot do that in physical precious metals,  gentlemen

The whole concept with holding physical silver is because no-one can take it from you. Its a safe holding. If there was a financial collapse how safe are your shares or holdings in a broker ?

Theres nothing better than holding a bar of metal, putting it back, and knowing it'll be there whenever you need it.

Investments in PM shares are not a pure investment in the metal itself, you are subject to the prosperity of the company.

This is the major diffrence and why i prefer investing in physical, sure shares have a greater upside but that just means they have a greater downside as well.

ie when drbub talks of a rise in his silver share giving him twice the profit from physical he fails to tell you on the downside swing you will lose twice as much as physical.

Its realy all about risk, the sure fire safest way to have a stake in a commodity is to own the darn thing this is without question and even the share buying community will tell you this.

I see nothing wrong with owning shares in mining stocks at all and sugest you do this also.

just remember bre-x and just remember your not just betting on the rise of the commodity but on the fortunes of the company as well.Also remember mining shares are traditionaly volatile like nothing else.Most miners tend to also over exagerate there below ground stocks, as it pays them to do this there realy is no reason for them not to (remember shell and its over exagerated below ground oil a couple years ago)

You want safe then buy physical

you want some risk then buy some junior miners

personaly i suggest you dont gamble with the house money, keep it safe if your flush then perhaps the shares are for you

Does anyone know for sure how well demand for silver has held up over recent years? I remember learning in the mid-90s that silver's biggest commercial use was in photography - Kodak was the world's biggest buyer of silver, I seem to remember from an old trivial Pursuit question. In the era of digital photogarphy, I presume that demand has evaporated? Is this why the price remains historically low compared to gold?

Guest muttley
Also remember mining shares are traditionaly volatile like nothing else.Most miners tend to also over exagerate there below ground stocks, as it pays them to do this there realy is no reason for them not to ago)

Mark Twain described a mine as "A hole in the ground with a liar on top".

Baird & Co have silver accounts. minimum investment 5K. You dont have to pay VAT on the silver as they hold it. Its 7% buying and 1% to sell.

Baird & Co.

137 High St.,

London E15 2RB.

Tel: 0208 555 5217

I am pretty sure you are liable for VAT whether you take delivery of the silver or not. Baird better reconsult with the Inland Revenue.

You can open offshore accounts which do nto attract VAT but the risk is obviously that the metal is potentially thousands of miles away.

Why not just buy old 50% or 92% silver british coins on eBay? You can often get them below spot price!

Silver shares not denominated in US dollars should be accessible from a decent broker, and they can be ISA-wrapped.

Or you could trade like Dr. Bubb if you had the time and upfront risk capital.