House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NW11

Not-So-Grand Design

"It was supposed to be their dream home, but three years after Chris Miller and his wife called in a TV show to rejuvenate their houseboat it has been found apparently washed up on a beach.

The unfinished 100-foot long boat, known as The Medway Eco-barge, had been moored in the Thames estuary off Southend since it featured in a Grand Designs' programme in March 2007.

It is thought that the boat broke free from its mooring overnight."

article-1352749-0D000982000005DC-208_634x503.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1352749/Grand-Designs--80k-Channel-4-makeover-barge-turns-Essex-beach-vandalised.html

Now on More 4

Is this coincidence or a cynical move to get some viewers based on the boat being in the news again.

Don't know what happened, but it seems a sad story - the family were trapped in a small flat and needed a bit of space.

Y

I like it. I also read the guardian and think Roman Polanski is just great.

now come on its time for your medicine.....take it ...go on ...you don,t want to be placed in the padded room again...thats it there,s a good boy ( or girl ) :lol:

go on take your medicine theres a good boy .......you don,t want the padded cell again do you :lol:

Ha ha, I watched this at the time, it gave me a thrill so discover that there was someone on the planet even more half-arsed and incompetent than I am!

Ha ha, I watched this at the time, it gave me a thrill so discover that there was someone on the planet even more half-arsed and incompetent than I am!

hang on a minute harry your quoting my qualifacations :D

Now on More 4

Is this coincidence or a cynical move to get some viewers based on the boat being in the news again.

Don't know what happened, but it seems a sad story - the family were trapped in a small flat and needed a bit of space.

Y

Laughed like a drain at the announcement ... "this episode is not the one advertised... "

so guessed which one it was.

Didn't watch it though as have seen it before.. and it's not one of the best.

"the family were trapped in a small flat and needed a bit of space." Flats are not great for families.

How ever foolish, I can't help feel sorry for the guy. I suspect that he would never have started this debacle had there been affordable family housing available, or even land.

A pre-fab home would have been better, but where is the affordable land with planning permission to build.

"the family were trapped in a small flat and needed a bit of space." Flats are not great for families.

How ever foolish, I can't help feel sorry for the guy. I suspect that he would never have started this debacle had there been affordable family housing available, or even land.

A pre-fab home would have been better, but where is the affordable land with planning permission to build.

No sympathy here. He was reckless and irresponsible with cheap easy credit to finance his pipedream at the peak. That floating hunk of scrap belongs and will probably end up in a shanty town. He could easily have taken out a liar loan and bought a bigger flat in 2007 like everyone else. £80k offers you a choice of at least a dozen 2 bed properties in Southend on Sea today.

go on take your medicine theres a good boy .......you don,t want the padded cell again do you :lol:

Sorry, i forgot having a rusting, vacant hulk drifting around the coast is the Guardians Idea of an 'eco home'

Because if it looks 'unorthodox' then it must be good.

And here is the Guardian's marvellous take on boat

Just over four years later, I am pleased to say my fears have turned out to be completely unfounded. The houseboat is a masterpiece, the ultimate post-modern architectural salute to futility.

Seldom have I seen such a close symbiotic relationship between the man-made and the natural world, a construction whose dismal decay chimes with the drabness of the coastline. And yet it somehow remains utterly contemporary, a symbol of austerity Britain. Chris and Sze Liu Lai, I salute you.

houseboat-washed-up-on-th-007.jpg

http://www.guardian....-boat-a-triumph

Edit:

:lol:

Edited by Earthling10

I watched the grand design episode last night. While it was a good idea in principle to build your own house boat, the application and end product was a joke.

The fella who owned the boat sounded a bit of a d**k - seemed to fall out with quite a few ppl during the show: conractor, labourers and mooring manager. I have sympathy for his children but not particularly for him.

Edited by Unsafe As Houses

Is the world too complicated so that you have to categorize it?

Polanski's work is of the highest calibre regardless of what you read.

And here is the Guardian's marvellous take on boat

http://www.guardian....-boat-a-triumph

This absolutely had to be a Joke. I certainly hope so.

Has the Guardian discovered irony?

What we have, in fact, is a brilliantly realised concept where the small, totally dysfunctional, sculptural spaces on board the boat act as the perfect counterpoint to the vast emptiness that surrounds it.
Edited by Azbola

Is the world too complicated so that you have to categorize it?

Polanski's work is of the highest calibre regardless of what you read.

He didnt comment on his work. He commented on Polanski, the... ahem... person.

What we have, in fact, is a brilliantly realised concept where the small, totally dysfunctional, sculptural spaces on board the boat act as the perfect counterpoint to the vast emptiness that surrounds it.

Sounds like a critique of Vogon poetry. Have these people no cultural nous or sense of the absurd?

"Oh ... and er ... interesting rhythmic devices too which seemed to counterpoint the ... er ... er ..."

"counterpoint the surrealism of the underlying metaphor of the ... er ..."

"... humanity of the ..."

"Vogonity,"

"Ah yes, Vogonity (sorry) of the poet's compassionate soul, which contrives through the medium of the verse structure to sublimate this, transcend that, and come to terms with the fundamental dichotomies of the other, and one is left with a profound and vivid insight into ... into ... er ..."

"Into whatever it was the poem was about!" ]

Edited by General Melchett

Now on More 4

Y

Have you both lost your marbles?

These were two full time social workers with one kid (if I read the article right) so why didn't they just rent something/somewhere a bit more practical, like the rest of the proles have to. They spunked £80k on a floating tin bath, and you use emotive stuff like being 'trapped' and the like?

This was all their own making. dry.gif

In the programme, the chap had a totally slapdash approach to the project (which managed to annoy Mr McCloud who is normally very patient) and came out with things like he didn't believe in putting stuff in writing; the original boat builder eventually gave up. Unsurprisingly they had problems finding moorings for their hulk. Eventually they did after great difficulty, but smashed the dock by failing to secure the boat properly. I believe the owner's occupation is that of a social worker - the mind boggles...