House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

Made The Switch-- Gone German

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Aldi-Lidl-increase-market-tele-2707950736.html?x=0

Aldi and Lidl increase market shares as shoppers cut back
James "Jimbo" Hall, 6:43, Wednesday 2 February 2011
Aldi and Lidl, the discount supermarkets, saw their respective market shares increase by almost 10pc over the three months to January 23, as cash-conscious shoppers tightened their purse strings.

My local German shop is about 4 miles away so we have switched our shopping to Aldi to cut down travel to Tesco (10 miles) and costs. Everything is cheaper--and they sell the same McVities choccy biscuts (£1 a pak compared with Tesco at c. £1.45). Their Rioja is wonderful--bought a £4.99 bottle of 2004 Gran Reserva and it was bad. Fruit and Veg is, if anything, better and hugely cheaper. Can't buy Glen Mornagie there but then again I get that at Costco where I shop every other month and stock up on hihg end restauarnt quality at ridiculously low prices (wait for markdowns at the end of the day).

I am not broke but there is a lot of Celtic blood running through my veins. :D

...did you mean good...?.... :rolleyes:

That's right. We live in that sort of age now--where good is bad and bad is good....

Pity Aldi/Lidl don't sell petroleum spirit. Costco sell 50 litre drums of cooking oil but my car is a petrol burner.

Been shopping there for years. We made an Xmas hamper for some snotty friends, filled entirely with Lidl products - chocolate, cakes, biscuits, wine, olive oil, etc, etc. They didn't have a clue.

I shop there because the quality is twice that of the other supermarkets and there's no BS and psychological manipulation.

Been shopping there for years. We made an Xmas hamper for some snotty friends, filled entirely with Lidl products - chocolate, cakes, biscuits, wine, olive oil, etc, etc. They didn't have a clue.

I shop there because the quality is twice that of the other supermarkets and there's no BS and psychological manipulation.

We had one of their Crimbo puds this year and it was ace (awful term?). It happened to be rated the best in some magazine and the review was right. Cheap as chips used to be too.

We had one of their Crimbo puds this year and it was ace (awful term?). It happened to be rated the best in some magazine and the review was right. Cheap as chips used to be too.

cool

That's right. We live in that sort of age now--where good is bad and bad is good....

Pity Aldi/Lidl don't sell petroleum spirit. Costco sell 50 litre drums of cooking oil but my car is a petrol burner.

How much was the cooking oil per litre RB?

Aldi even thought of the aftermath

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys2_17025.htm

Australia is "AUSTRIA" with an 'al' (al-di) :P

Thats a pretty good price. Usually over £1 a litre at least.

I highly recommend Costco--restaurant quality meat at wholesale prices.

http://www.costco.co.uk/Depts&Servs_main/departments_services.htm

Bought a massive Turkey crown for crimbo for £10--marked down from £25 in the run up to Crimbo. First class product and worked out about £1 each per meal!

I see quite a few Asian gentlemen loading up the big carts with 10 or more 50 litre drums of cooking oil that I suspect isn't being used to fry the chips.

I highly recommend Costco--restaurant quality meat at wholesale prices.

http://www.costco.co.uk/Depts&Servs_main/departments_services.htm

Bought a massive Turkey crown for crimbo for £10--marked down from £25 in the run up to Crimbo. First class product and worked out about £1 each per meal!

I see quite a few Asian gentlemen loading up the big carts with 10 or more 50 litre drums of cooking oil that I suspect isn't being used to fry the chips.

Macro is also good....but don't forget the VAT. ;)

Macro is also good....but don't forget the VAT. ;)

Not tried them. If you go through the Costco website you can see they sell mostly higfh end stuff-- DeWalt drill for example. They even sell Cartier watches! They got into trouble from jewellers for selling Omegas at cut price--case still pending.

Lifetime guarantee on most stuff too--even if you have had it years. Some bastards take advantage of them on this and it makes me cross. :angry:

Edited by Realistbear

£3.24 a litre from Tesco.

Yes but Costco sell a massively huge tin of 50 litres that the average Mum would have a challenge storing in the kitchen cupboard.

I will check the price when I go up again in a couple of weeks--it was around .85p last time I looked.

No vat on cooking oil IIRC.

Guest eight

Totally agree. I wouldn't shop there if it was just cheaper. Lidl own brand pasta, for one example, is of vastly greater quality than, say, the Sainsburys equivalent. In fact when I do go into Sainsburys now I find the prices, general air of hostility and yet popularity of the place faintly surreal.

eight

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Aldi-Lidl-increase-market-tele-2707950736.html?x=0

Aldi and Lidl increase market shares as shoppers cut back
James "Jimbo" Hall, 6:43, Wednesday 2 February 2011
Aldi and Lidl, the discount supermarkets, saw their respective market shares increase by almost 10pc over the three months to January 23, as cash-conscious shoppers tightened their purse strings.

My local German shop is about 4 miles away so we have switched our shopping to Aldi to cut down travel to Tesco (10 miles) and costs. Everything is cheaper--and they sell the same McVities choccy biscuts (£1 a pak compared with Tesco at c. £1.45).

That's a funny Aldi. There's not a single branded item in mine, and almost without exception, every one of the alternative no name brands they they do stock, that I have tried, was rubbish.

I now only buy fresh stuff in mine.

tim

COSTCO

JOINING AS AN INDIVIDUAL MEMBER

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To join as an Individual member is a little more problematic.

Firstly you must be 18 or over, and secondly you must be a current or retired member of the following professions:

Banking/Finance, Civil Servant, Education, Fire/Rescue, Local Government, Medical/Health Service, Police Force or Post Office

WTF, so I cant join but a banker can. poo

Funny old world.. exact same shops we use.

Lidl (only because closer than Aldi)

Sainsbury

Costco

Lidl is great for basic stuff.. veg is ok but I wouldn't say higher quality. The tomatoes there are pretty tasteless and I found things like the bags of spinach tend to go off quicker than the Sainsburys equivalent. Some of the "fancy" cheeses are a bit crap too in my experience (bog standard plastic style cheese is fine). Good value for most other stuff, including washing powder, dish washer tabs etc.. provided they stock the thing you are looking for.

WTF, so I cant join but a banker can. poo

We had a whip around at work and opened a traders account (have to sweet talk the accountant to give you a few bits of basic paperwork).

I think any company can open a trade account.. if there's several of you it's cheaper plus you can go in 'pre-opening' hours.

Edit to add.. oops. thought this was in off-topic.

Shouldn't it be? :unsure:

Edited by libspero