House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Chocolate Bars Getting Smaller

Probably a good thing, I'd say.

Shh.

I've got a box of fredos hidden away. (on offer at costco)

They used to be price marked at 15p now they're 17p...

mmm. chocolate.

This Autumn has been the best salmon harvest in living memory but... price of tinned salmon has basically doubled...

Before Christmas you could get a 210 gramme can of red salmon for between £1.45 and £1.99 in the supermarkets - either own brand like M&S or John West or Princes.

Have a look now - most 210 gramme cans of red salmon are now around £3.99.

Only one store has kept their salmon reasonable - a 15p increase but some of the above have almost doubled the price.

This Autumn has been the best salmon harvest in living memory but... price of tinned salmon has basically doubled...

I guess that means no more salmon brownie for you TMT :blink:

Before Christmas you could get a 210 gramme can of red salmon for between £1.45 and £1.99 in the supermarkets - either own brand like M&S or John West or Princes.

Only one store has kept their salmon reasonable - a 15p increase but some of the above have almost doubled the price.

That suggest to me that that supermarkets are riding the wave of expected high inflation. If a store can afford to sell at only 15p extra then surely it must mean that the whole sale for it hasn't doubled - tinned salmon can't be that high profiled to warrant making a loss on it to attract shoppers in your store. this is very much like utility bills going up when there has been a significant reduction in the price of gas in recent months/years. The all thing is rigged, I am sure there is strain on commodities of all kind but nowhere near as bad as reflected in shops...

I haven't bothered with Cadbury's chocolate since they started making it in Poland.

A UK taxpayer owned bank (RBS) lent Kraft the money (no-one else would) to buy an English firm (Cadbury) and outsource most of the work to Poland.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I think the largest supermarkets are trying to force through inflation by putting their prices up whilst blaming everyone and everything else for going up.

They pay their suppliers the same (or less) and increase the margin. Nice.

M&S raising prices?

The Bank of (Theft from Savers in) England letting inflation run unchecked is great news for fat cat bosses of retailers. It's a Trojan Horse to our wallets.

Marks & Spencer has struck a £15m deal with its new boss, Marc Bolland, that is thought to be one of the biggest golden hellos in corporate history.

The company was forced to get out its chequebook to lure Bolland away from Morrisons, which under his leadership has become the fastest-growing supermarket in the UK.

M&S, once seen as byword for quality on the high street, desperately needs the Dutchman to resurrect its flagging food business which is losing customers to rival chains such as Waitrose and Sainsbury's.

Bolland will earn at least £8.5m in the first year, a sum that includes £7.5m compensation for lost bonuses and shares that he would have received in his old job.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/feb/01/marks-spencer-marc-bolland-pay1

Stealth-Flation?

Check out Oxo Cubes. Used to be Square. Now an X shape. Happening everywhere.

I think a lot of supermarkets are using the opportunity to ramp prices.

I went to Sainsburys yesterday with a shopping list of stuff that I know has been on good deals for the past few weeks - got there, not one thing on my list was on discount anymore... but several looked as if the price had been ramped up above their previous pre-discount prices.

You have to keep an eye out for this kind of thing. I know loads of people who only buy goods which are discounted now.

I went to Sainsburys yesterday with a shopping list of stuff that I know has been on good deals for the past few weeks - got there, not one thing on my list was on discount anymore... but several looked as if the price had been ramped up above their previous pre-discount prices.

You have to keep an eye out for this kind of thing. I know loads of people who only buy goods which are discounted now.

I was in Iceland (the shop not the bust country) this morning and never seen it as busy. Q's at every checkout.

If they cannot increase the price any further the size goes down - hidden inflation.

Then we get super-sized bars that are not much larger than the original but almost twice the price.

This is what happens... before a price rise is forced through the branded goods usually go on promotion to make the increase less obvious when it happens. i.e. Oreos 92p went on promotion at 50p and now £1. Kitkats £1.62, promote at £1 now £1.65. Coke etc etc same drain. I lead a healthy lifestyle having stocked up on 450 twin fingered kitkats at a £1 already.

I'm avoiding cadbury now.

I have just made the switch to Aldi/Lidl

Choccy McVities £1 a pack compared with Tesco/Sainsburys at £1.40 ish.

Cut down wine consumption from about 4 to 2 bottles a week

Petrol consumption down 50% (walking more and shopping at Aldi/Lidl whihc is almost local.

BTW:

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Aldi-Lidl-increase-market-tele-2707950736.html?x=0

Aldi and Lidl increase market shares as shoppers cut back
James "Jimbo" Hall, 6:43, Wednesday 2 February 2011
Aldi and Lidl, the discount supermarkets, saw their respective market shares increase by almost 10pc over the three months to January 23, as cash-conscious shoppers tightened their purse strings.

Food is like gold - only worth buying on the dips. It is the ever shrinking tin of beans which is my yardstick. Once 440gm, today I found one can which was 405gm and I don't think it's because there's less water in them.

You're missing the point. They're doing us a favour - saving us from ourselves... there's an obesity epidemic in progress don't you know. ;)

I have to move house very soon so I'm having to put off any bulk food purchases for a few weeks. There'll be nothing left (or they'll be microscopic) by the time I can buy again

I managed to get my 50p strong bread flour......so stocked up, should last a few months now...you learn to stock up on things you use regularly when you can and when the price is right, a good investment tactic......it may never be that weight, quality or price again. ;)

You're missing the point. They're doing us a favour - saving us from ourselves... there's an obesity epidemic in progress don't you know. ;)

They may have a point with Cadburys - no person of sound mind would want to eat more of their chocolate substitute. But I suspect it is fairly difficult to over indulge in baked beans.