House Price Crash Forum
juvenal

Money Box Live Today R4 3Pm

nice - might be worth sending/calling for some 'expert' advice.

No doubt the line will be how the nasty banks aren't lending to keep the bubble going - with not a mention of how lower prices would actually help.

If you are struggling to find a suitable mortgage or have a question about the type of product to choose, why not contact the programme?

What are the best rates for fixed, discounted or variable mortgages?

How much can you afford to borrow?

What are the associated set up and exit fees?

Are you able to overpay?

What are the options if you are self-employed?

If you are a first time buyer do you need advice about deposits or parental help?

Vincent Duggleby will be joined by:

• Melanie Bien, Private Finance

• David Hollingworth, London and Country

• Simon Tyler, Tyler Mortgage Management

You can call the programme when lines open on Wednesday at 1330 GMT. The number to call is 03700 100 444.

Or you can send an e-mail using the form below:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/moneybox/9378444.stm

fwiw, I just emailed...

It seems that banks are reluctant to lend to those with small deposits because they are anticipating further falls in house prices. Surely as this now seems inevitable it would make sense for buyers to wait until the market corrects and take on a smaller debt rather than stretch themselves with a large loan now at low rates making them vulnerable to the slightest rises in rates that are almost certain to occur.

As above

Thanks.

I've just sent them this message:

Do you really think that high housing costs are a public good?

Can I trust you/the BBC on this issue? Do you have a vested interest on house prices? Do you own a house? A mortgage?

Are you under instructions such as:

"Don't talk the economy down"?

"Don't talk house prices down"?

Does the BBC have an editorial line on house prices?

Thanks,

Emailed my view:

Hello MBL,

Regarding the issue of raising a deposit with parental help, is this really wise in many cases? Most parents of those looking to buy a property are approaching retirement, or sometimes have retired. It seems a very risky strategy for these people to pay out a chunk of savings, or worse, take on debt in order to help with a deposit for their children. They may find themselves needing the money for their own living costs if inflation stays high and savings rates remain low.

Surely the real problem is that prices are too high, and must therefore drop to historic averages. Even Cabinet Ministers are now using the term 'Housing Bubble' to describe what has happened in recent history.

Regards,

C'n'B

Emailed them my tuppence...

I am tired of the way most media in this country portray rising house prices as 'a good thing'. This mentality encourages people to stretch themselves financially to get on the property ladder. We are now reaping the consequences of this, in terms of people being up their eyeballs in debt and only able to make repayments with interest rates at a 300 year low. Those same low interes rates are letting inflation run riot and robbing prudent savers of decent returns. The financially wise and careful are effectively rescuing those who have been irresponsible with their money. This cannot continue and the UK economy will not recover properly until it ends.

House prices never entered a bubble in Germany. Having lived there I can confirm that the average citizen has much more disposable income left at the end of each month because housing costs are much lower. That is money which is going straight back into the economy rather than sitting in economically unproductive bricks and mortar. No wonder countries like Germany have moved on from the Credit Crunch much faster than the UK.

The presenter sounds like he wants everyone to be bullish, but his panel are more circumspect.

Either way, if you really want to go on and challenge them, you'd need to play the game. Tell the researcher some rubbish about whether to go fixed rate or variable, and then once on air give it the full works about Liar loans, Vested interests etc. It'd be great.

I see Melanie Bean is on the panel...

I've just found the webpage for today's show:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/moneybox/9378444.stm

------------------------------------------

" Vincent Duggleby will be joined by:

• Melanie Bien, Private Finance

• David Hollingworth, London and Country

• Simon Tyler, Tyler Mortgage Management "

The presenter sounds like he wants everyone to be bullish, but his panel are more circumspect.

Either way, if you really want to go on and challenge them, you'd need to play the game. Tell the researcher some rubbish about whether to go fixed rate or variable, and then once on air give it the full works about Liar loans, Vested interests etc. It'd be great.

I agree. This is the only way to get the message across. Pretend to be an over-indebted member of the public seeking advice and then throw them a curve ball live on air. It will be interesting to get their honest, immediate response to mentions of "reckless lending" and liar loans pushing house prices up.

Ooh, 7% deposit with Northern Rock. Oh dear.

Just emailed mine:

Myself and my wife are leaving the UK because of House Prices and the clamour to see rising house prices as a good thing.

A good thing for anyone born before the late 70s or with access to the bank of mum and dad.

We both earn above average salaries in North Yorkshire but due to the previous Government’s inclination to allow house prices to rocket at the expense of future property purchasers means that it is just not worth planning a future in this country. The continuing clamour to not let the market drop back to long term wage to salary levels and the sickening support for those who spent far too much on property and in some cases falsified mortgages with ‘liar loans’ through government mortgage support schemes is robbing those prudent enough not to want to stretch themselves.

We will take our science degrees to work in Germany where they have a saner view of the housing market – a market not afflicted with a boom and funnily enough now emerging strongly from the recession.

The property madness has ruined our country and its future. And those that want house prices to be sustained are cheering on the UK’s ultimate decline in a globalised economy.

Good to hear talk of the 'inevitable' rises in IR, talking about 5% as being 'below long term averages'

Brilliant lack of FTBs so far. Squeezed remortgagors to the fore.

Indeed, the discussion isn't focusing on "what can we do for poor FTBers to get a foot on the ladder", it's "how can we help these second-steppers get a new mortgage".

Oh dear. Ha ha.

WHAT?? 70 years old, retired and a mortgage of £0.5m. :o:o:o

Edit: ... with Northern Rock. Who'd've thunk it.

Edited by GordonBrownSpentMyFuture