HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Another Cabinet Minister ?

Not just any old cabinet minister but:

This is our Vincente de Cable, Patron saint of HPC.co.uk!!

He saw it coming in 2003 and warned Mr. Brown who responded with his infamous saying about no more boom and bust and that he would not allow house prices to do what they did.......

BTW since Vince remarked about how people would run over a bankster but swerve for a dog on the motorway has probably put him in the running for PM somehow, someway.... A man in touch with the electorate and not a career politician. All he needs to do to appeal to the sheeple is buy himself a decent syrup and keep repeating the phrase : I want to be clear...................

HOLA447
HOLA448

Yes, Cameron referred to a housing boom last week, Cable is going a step further by calling it a bubble.

Actually Cameron said bubble in Davos, but implying that it was in the past.

Cameron said "bubble", not boom. I think this is very important. The language is becoming much more clear.

He said: "We can't just flick on the switch of government spending or pump the bubble back up."

This is important people. I think we missed this very important "detail".

Besides, he said that we can't "pump the bubble back up". This is also essential, as it means that the coalition does get the core of it. That it was bubble, and that the government can't pump it.

However, there is a negative angle: He said "back up". This could mean that they think 2007 was a bubble, and we have already landed or almost landed. This part is worrying.

Remember what we started with in the UK: an economy built on the worst deficit, the most leveraged banks, the most indebted households, the biggest housing boom and unsustainable levels of public spending and immigration.

And now think of where we need to go: an economy based not on consumption and debt but on savings and investment not on government spending but on entrepreneurial dynamism not on one industry in one corner of the country but on all our businesses in all our regions, with a new emphasis on manufacturing, exports and trade.

To get there isn't easy. We can't just flick on the switch of government spending or pump the bubble back up. Making this transformation - and it is a transformation - requires painstaking work and it takes time. It involves paying down billions of pounds of debt. New plants and factories need to be built. New products designed. New innovations taken to market. New businesses nurtured.

It's going to be tough - but we must see it through. The scale of the task is immense, so we need to be bold in order to build this economy of the future.

Cameron's speech in full: http://www.politics.co.uk/features/economy-and-finance/david-cameron-s-davos-speech-in-full-$21386920.htm

Edited by Tired of Waiting

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Another Cabinet Minister ?

Not just any old cabinet minister but:

This is our Vincente de Cable, Patron saint of HPC.co.uk!!

He saw it coming in 2003 and warned Mr. Brown who responded with his infamous saying about no more boom and bust and that he would not allow house prices to do what they did.......

BTW since Vince remarked about how people would run over a bankster but swerve for a dog on the motorway has probably put him in the running for PM somehow, someway.... A man in touch with the electorate and not a career politician. All he needs to do to appeal to the sheeple is buy himself a decent syrup and keep repeating the phrase : I want to be clear...................

Haha yes great gag. Unsurprisingly David Buik got his knickers in a twist over it and called for Cable to be sacked. Just who runs Britain, the people or a handful of banksters?

Note how Boy George is treated with utter contempt by the banks even though he holds all the cards over Lloyd's and RBS, and a few others over other lenders with the SLS.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

And now George Osborne, in the commons a few minutes ago.

"Britain had the largest housing boom"

All sounds good, but as someone else mentioned upthread the use of the past tense is worrying. I won't be impressed until they admit that we're still in one, and that the current situation is that not much air has been let out of it. Some people will fall for "TLabour created a bubble, it's burst, we know that 50p off your house price hurt but don't worry, we've got it under control and it won't go down any more."

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

All sounds good, but as someone else mentioned upthread the use of the past tense is worrying. I won't be impressed until they admit that we're still in one, and that the current situation is that not much air has been let out of it. Some people will fall for "TLabour created a bubble, it's burst, we know that 50p off your house price hurt but don't worry, we've got it under control and it won't go down any more."

I think they mean that the boom/Bubble was born on Labour's watch, hence the past tense. Once everyone accepts that a housing bubble existed/exists and is the fault of Labour, they can deal with it.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Likely they won't admit it. The denial confirms the problems.

http://www.gold-eagle.com/editorials_01/seymour062001.html

"... the outlook is favorable..."

"Gentleman, you have come sixty days too late. The depression is over."

"... the present depression has about spent its force..."

At least the cartoons were honest then - once things gained momentum.

http://www.bearishnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/pigs-at-the-trough1.jpg

Edited by billybong

HOLA4424

"BBC News", the all day news channel that used to be called "BBC News 24".

Oh well. Though Radio 4 has just played a very good part of Osborne's answer, including the "biggest housing bubble" quote.

And! very good news: I've just found a VIDEO of this "Treasury Questions" on YouTube. I thought it deserved its own thread, and I've started one. Take a look.

Edit: now let's see how the BBC will edit it for the Six O'Clock News.

Edited by Tired of Waiting

HOLA4425

Oh well. Though Radio 4 has just played a very good part of Osborne's answer, including the "biggest housing bubble" quote.

And! very good news: I've just found a VIDEO of this "Treasury Questions" on YouTube. I thought it deserved its own thread, and I've started one. Take a look.

Edit: now let's see how the BBC will edit it for the Six O'Clock News.

It was at the center of a rather personal spat between Osborne and Balls and as such is newsworthy. I'd be surprised if we don't see it on the Six O'Clock News.