House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pajd

Going To New York Or Keep Adding To Our Deposit?

Our first wedding anniversary is coming up in May. My wife has always said she would love to see New York. Having looked at some flights (we are based in Northern Ireland), hotels and spending money im guessing it would cost around £3,300 for a week.

Now the thing is we have been saving for over 2 years towards a house deposit. We are currently sitting on 20%. We both want to start a family this year.

Our dilemma is that if we spend that amount of money on a weeks holiday then it will set our other plans (buying a house, starting a family) back 6 months. However if we dont go,once we do start a family, it would be years before she could see New York.

What would you do?

Our first wedding anniversary is coming up in May. My wife has always said she would love to see New York. Having looked at some flights (we are based in Northern Ireland), hotels and spending money im guessing it would cost around £3,300 for a week.

Now the thing is we have been saving for over 2 years towards a house deposit. We are currently sitting on 20%. We both want to start a family this year.

Our dilemma is that if we spend that amount of money on a weeks holiday then it will set our other plans (buying a house, starting a family) back 6 months. However if we dont go,once we do start a family, it would be years before she could see New York.

What would you do?

My and the girlfiend faced a similar dilemma last year, and chose the NY holiday. We booked a flight and hotel deal on lastinute.com that cost £1800 all-in and paid it over the next four months, paying £225 per month each.

As we booked in May for a trip over the New Year this meant after we had paid off the flight and hotel we still had four months to put away spending money. We took around £600 each, and my girlfiend spent an extra £300 when there on shopping. We were there for a week, so your costs are roughly in line with ours.

Yes, that money could have been put into a savings account instead of having the holiday, but it's still possible to save while paying off the holiday or putting money into a different account for holiday spending money. You just need to be disciplined and make sacrifices in other areas such as going out socially.

It was our only holiday of 2010, and I'd say it was well worth it, even if it meant that I don't have as much in my ISA as I would do if we hadn't went. Everyone needs a holiday now and again, and as you say, it'll be a lot more difficult once you have a kid or two...

If it was me (and I'm 35) - I would wait and keep the cash.

Saying that if you spend the money and prices continue to dip (even if slowly), it may not take that long for your to be where you are now (20% deposit).

Looking at it the other way, if you didn't go and prices continue to weaken you will have more deposit.

Your call, your priorities! :)

I would go to New York and stop fretting about house prices. In 6 months time that money will be worth even less.

On Fri night/Sat morning, or it could be Sat night/Sun morning from 1AM Fivelive have a programme on NY where a NY cab driver - the gabby cabby http://www.gabby.com/ - answers Brit questions on where to stay, where to go, etc.

A few months ago he said that the best place to stay now was in New Jersey.

He said that a new tube train had been built under the Hudson linking NY with New Jersey and the ride was just one stop and about 10 minutes.

He said that as a result loads of new hotels had been built around the new Jersey station and that they were significantly cheaper than getting a hotel room in NY yet you were only one tube stop away.

Only you can know.

What % deposit would you have if you put it in the savings...

If we put our mind to it, didn't go on holiday and kepy saving i would guess in 6 months time 28%

My and the girlfiend faced a similar dilemma last year, and chose the NY holiday. We booked a flight and hotel deal on lastinute.com that cost £1800 all-in and paid it over the next four months, paying £225 per month each.

As we booked in May for a trip over the New Year this meant after we had paid off the flight and hotel we still had four months to put away spending money. We took around £600 each, and my girlfiend spent an extra £300 when there on shopping. We were there for a week, so your costs are roughly in line with ours.

Yes, that money could have been put into a savings account instead of having the holiday, but it's still possible to save while paying off the holiday or putting money into a different account for holiday spending money. You just need to be disciplined and make sacrifices in other areas such as going out socially.

It was our only holiday of 2010, and I'd say it was well worth it, even if it meant that I don't have as much in my ISA as I would do if we hadn't went. Everyone needs a holiday now and again, and as you say, it'll be a lot more difficult once you have a kid or two...

Ideally we would go in May as thats when our anniversary is but its much cheaper in March. It would eman dipping into our savings though at the miniye because every penny we get goes in there. if we wnet in May we could save from now until May but at the same time this money could have been added to our savings. Its a tough one....we dont want to come back after a week away and regret it

Go!

We went last week. If you think you'll like New York, you'll love it. Best 3 grand we ever spent.

Better than wasting it on a few poxy bricks.

Yes its is a great city. I have been 3 times (when i was at uni)the missus would love to go

If this man is occupying the seat between you and the missus best to get off.

bin-laden.jpg

I suspect that if he was occupying the seat you would be very safe, as I suspect he only outsources his work.

I would definitely go to NY.

I would look at buying the flights seperately and contacting NY hotels/hostels directly to see if anything can be saved over a complete package.

You will never regret a good holiday.

Go to NY but steer clear of the bed bugs....seriously, they have a big problem with them and it is no fun if you are highly allergic to their bites, not fun. :blink:

Do it. Life is about experiences. And I don't mean that in some poncy new age way. Life is about doing things. If you dont do things you want to do then you are wasting your life.

Do it - spend the money - have a great time - forget about the money. It is gone. Your savings for a deposit now equal X. Take it from there.

If you're prepared to shop around, stay in not quite the best locations, eat at a mid-pojnt between upscale restaurants and McVomit's and put up with a little inconvenience, I'm sure you could do it for a lot less than that. I've just come back from 11 days in Alaska, the costs of which broke down at

£620 return flight from Teesside to Fairbanks

$340 car rental

Roughly $500 on food and other incidentals

Total expenditure around £1,200.

OK, that wasn't typical: I had no hotel costs, as I was staying with my fiancee, and a lot of the food costs was stuff bought at supermarkets we cooked ourselves. But in NY you won't need to hire a car, and basic though perfectly safe hotel rooms with public transport links to the tourist sights should be available for in the region of £500 for the week if you're prepared to go off-season. And the flights will be cheaper - you should get one for £450-500 each, especially if you're willing to take a route that involves connections. If you're clever about it, the two of you should be able to manage a week in NY for around the two grand mark.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Im starting to feel we shouldn't be putting our lives on hold due to a pile of bricks. You never know how long you have left in this world. Its about enoying every minuite of it and not just thinking about putting every penny you have into saving for a damn house!

We went for the cheap option for our honeymoon - a rubbish resort in the south of Spain

We went for the cheap option for our honeymoon - a rubbish resort in the south of Spain

:lol:

We planned to go to NY for our honeymoon 4 years ago but put it off because my wife fell pregnant (cost and health concerns over long-haul holiday) and had to settle for a week in the Canaries instead. Its taken this long to get in a position where its fair to leave our son for 4 nights with family and decided that £3K is neither here nor there in terms of UK house prices and that doesn't look like changing very soon. Planning for another baby also meant it was now or never and we're so glad we did. If you're struggling to justify the expense (you clearly have the money) here's 2 things we did.

i) We asked friends and family for US$ for birthday and Xmas e.g. your $20 (only £13) gift gets one of us up the Empire State/Statue of Liberty/Central Park carriage ride/MoMA/The Met which helped us save a few hundred quid and conveniently also stops you getting crappy gifts.

ii) Similarly my wife did a bit more work that she normally would in the run up to the trip. Of course your deposit will still be smaller than if you worked extra and saved it but it means you take less of a hit on your deposit and know you worked harder for your jollies and can be guilt free. Any sources of extra income you can tap up?

And I'm sure (someone else will confirm, oops ccc already has :D) its our experiences that mean the most to us not our savings or possessions. Making the most of this sort of trip with your wife will mean far more to you both in the future than worrying about what it costs in worthless money.

After only 1 trip, I won't patronise anyone by telling complete strangers what they should go see. I found good info from a couple of long running threads about NY in the MSE overseas travel section and also Trip Advisor forums - not just for trip advisor hotel reviews.

I suspect that if he was occupying the seat you would be very safe, as I suspect he only outsources his work.

I agree.

You could and die for your country and I will sit at home thinking how stupid you are. I think that is a Groucho Marx line.

. However if we dont go,once we do start a family, it would be years before she could see New York.

What would you do?

Buy posters of New York and start a family, whilst avoiding the bedbug epidemic that infests the big apple. If you do go, don't bring any clothes back... :ph34r:

See here: http://sharpelbowsstl.blogspot.com/2011/02/howard-stern-vs-bed-bugs-time-to-break.html

Buy posters of New York and start a family, whilst avoiding the bedbug epidemic that infests the big apple. If you do go, don't bring any clothes back... :ph34r:

See here: http://sharpelbowsstl.blogspot.com/2011/02/howard-stern-vs-bed-bugs-time-to-break.html

Man went to the moon... Climbed Everest...

But bedbugs? In Noo Yoik? ****** that for a game of toy soldiers, I'm staying home for a cup of tea and choccy hobnob.

ok so £3,300 trip would set you back 6 months and you have been saving for two years suggesting you have £13,200.

That isnt much of a deposit, plus the economy is going to get worse this year becuase the Govt cuts & layoffs havent even started yet so you dont even know how you might be affected incomewise at the end of this year or next.

The cuts will kick in in April, it will take about 3-4 months at the earliest before the economic data starts showing the effect its goiing to have.

Dont think this global problem is over yet, here in the UK it depends on how quickly the private sector can retool for exports, those doing well at the moment are your ultrahightec companies, satellite manufacturer that sort of thing.

I'd hang on to your cash for now, and maybe settle for this http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=new+york&channel=s&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=New+York,+United+States&gl=uk&sqi=2&ll=40.651471,-74.182434&spn=0.589713,1.977539&z=10&layer=c&cbll=40.718194,-74.000753&panoid=NXMkolJGJw6ph92hAyNQ1g&cbp=12,32.04,,0,14.61 :)

We have a good deal more than £13,200. A good figure by Northern Ireland standards. The 6 months was just an estimate as we planned to hopefully buy this summer.

And I'm sure (someone else will confirm, oops ccc already has :D) its our experiences that mean the most to us not our savings or possessions. Making the most of this sort of trip with your wife will mean far more to you both in the future than worrying about what it costs in worthless money.

Very true. Even if it snot NY it will be somewhere else anyway and trips abroad these days aren't cheap. So whats another grand? :ph34r:

Very true. Even if it snot NY it will be somewhere else anyway and trips abroad these days aren't cheap. So whats another grand? :ph34r:

New York is expensive though. So be prepared to spend more than you think. But then again you will have a great time so who gives a ******.

Saving up for something does make sense and if that is what is more important to a person then so be it. However you give the impression you are gagging on a holiday to NY. :D

The cheap option is staying at home.

Promise her when you pay off the mortgage 10 years early you'll take her.

...there is nothing worse, and yes they can travel home on clothes and cases....some never know if they have been bitten, others suffer like hell. :(