House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Grime- skint wouldbe ftb

Council Tax Revaluation/rebanding Delay

Well well. Sorry if this topic's been discussed already, but I couldn't see a thread, very surprised if it hasn't been, because it seems to me to be further evidence that the government now knows a house price crash is now inevitable.

Allright, you could infer that they don't want to push everyone up to a higher band because they'll all end up paying more council tax and therefore vote them out at the next election, OR you could infer that they know it'll be a waste of time and money as house price values are so shakey right now any attempt at valuation is currently futile.

Or perhaps its a bit of both?

Well well. Sorry if this topic's been discussed already, but I couldn't see a thread, very surprised if it hasn't been, because it seems to me to be further evidence that the government now knows a house price crash is now inevitable.

Allright, you could infer that they don't want to push everyone up to a higher band because they'll all end up paying more council tax and therefore vote them out at the next election, OR you could infer that they know it'll be a waste of time and money as house price values are so shakey right now any attempt at valuation is currently futile.

Or perhaps its a bit of both?

I really think that they know people are going to end up broke, a hike in council tax when people have no money will cause a 'poll tax' riot. There will be enough blood in the streets when it all kicks off properly as it is, no point dropping a tax bomb on folks too.

We shall see though.

What I found interesting about this was that local councils never talked about reducing the band charges so that the net tax income remained the same. They sat quietly greedily eyeing the extra money they could grab.

What I found interesting about this was that local councils never talked about reducing the band charges so that the net tax income remained the same. They sat quietly greedily eyeing the extra money they could grab.

Thats because B&Q have put the cost of white paint up, so the councills will have to pay more to put a mini round about at every single junction.

Don't forget that a proportion of local council spending is funded by central government.

Although councils might be a little innefficent..

Central Government spent several years reducing the levels of funding given to councils under the premise that they were wasting money.

Councils then had to regain that funding from local taxes.

wasting money...? pot and kettle....?

has anyone noticed a rise in council tax...? recently...?

Its the pensioners I feel sorry for..

a £400 a month pension used to mean that 1 month a year all of their money was to the council..

Now its two months..

Think about that..

2 out of 12 is council tax

Don't forget that a proportion of local council spending is funded by central government.

Although councils might be a little innefficent..

Central Government spent several years reducing the levels of funding given to councils under the premise that they were wasting money.

Councils then had to regain that funding from local taxes.

wasting money...? pot and kettle....?

has anyone noticed a rise in council tax...? recently...?

Its the pensioners I feel sorry for..

a £400 a month pension used to mean that 1 month a year all of their money was to the council..

Now its two months..

Think about that..

2 out of 12 is council tax

That is a 17% tax on the old and poor so that council officers can pay themselves huge salaries (e.g. £160K plus benefits) and enjoy solid gold pensions. The alternative is that the old people can subject themselves to a degrading process of means testing.

pensioners created this mess....... B)

what with all their new fangled wars and hanging people and that.

PLUS !! check them out playing 'Operation Wolf' - they always get shot to bits and never make the thrid section.

Edited by right_freds_dead