House Price Crash Forum
chirpy999

Equity Income Unit Trusts

Hi, a bit of advice please, I am thinking of using my £5100 isa allowance to invest in a equity income fund.

I can remember seeing adverts in theweekend paper saying that if you invested say 10 years ago, youd have had a rising income every year plus capital gains.

Does this actually happen?? Any recommendations???

Hi, a bit of advice please, I am thinking of using my £5100 isa allowance to invest in a equity income fund.

I can remember seeing adverts in theweekend paper saying that if you invested say 10 years ago, youd have had a rising income every year plus capital gains.

Does this actually happen?? Any recommendations???

£10200 allowance if you want to invest the whole of it. And yes, with the right fund you can get that performance, though you'd almost certainly have seen a big dip in capital value in 2008/9. Note that income funds in general (which doesn't mean every income fund) took a big hit when banks went down and others slashed their dividends - that kind of risk is the downside. A fund that held lots of bank stocks might've made substantial permanent losses from that.

I use Hargreaves Lansdown, and can recommend them for holding funds in or out of an ISA. They have a lot of information, including their own recommendations, and tools to compare funds. Trustnet has more extensive information and tools if you want to immerse yourself!

Hi, thanks for the reply. Ihave used £5100 in a cash isa.

I am with Hargreaves Lansdown as well and find them ok , but you get a letter every month trying to get you to put money into something. I filled in the reply asking for free financial advice had a couple of calls from them and came to the conclusion i didnt want to spend £495 +vat for a complete makeover

I am at the age where i wnat to get a bit of capital growth and income if possible. I have just found the whitelist , whitelist.co.uk and am cross referencing with HLs wealth 150 to try and come to a decision.

Merchants Trust PLC seems good. It's an investment trust.

Stock ticker is MRCH

I'm waiting for a pull back before buying into this one though.