House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Now Taxman Sends In The Heavy Mob Over Unpaid Taxes

Mhttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/article-1352634/Now-taxman-sends-heavy-mob-unpaid-taxes.html

HM Revenue & Customs is planning to set debt collectors loose on taxpayers to haul in up to £1.5 billion of unpaid taxes and other money owed.

The purge will see the collectors used to bring in an extra £1.35 billion a year for the Government - ten times more than they currently do. The deal is thought to be worth up to £70 million for the debt collecting firms.

The crackdown could see those who owe just small amounts being hunted down.

When HMRC ran a pilot scheme last year it targeted taxpayers who owed more than £10,000 through self-assessment, had not paid PAYE debts of up to £500 from before 2007, and had national Insurance bills of up to £700.

Instead of dealing with HMRC officials, some taxpayers will have their bills passed on to outside firms.

These will then be able to phone the debtors, post letters and, ultimately, send round bailiffs in order to recoup the owed tax.

Tax experts have reacted angrily to the massive contracts being awarded to the debt collection firms.

I assume that these debt collection agencies will be charging the taxpayer an extra sum on top of that owed for collecting the money.

I wonder how much people will get charged for each letter etc...

The state is starting to squeal, clearly tax revenues aren't up to projections.

Still if your a multimillionaire you'll avoid all this by hiring a clever accountant and lawyer.

The only problem with this is... if the non-payment is because the taxpayer can't afford it, all sending in debt-collectors is going to do is cost HMRC money that they don't get back.

Unless of course this is just the usual Revenue 'we're getting tough and you better watch out' press release they pop out this time (self assessment deadline) every year... ;):rolleyes:

No doubt they'll send a team of fact finders to their local council who apply the same tactic with regards to council tax arrears, via Dubai of course. I lived in a flat once upon a time 223c and paid my council tax in cash at the office on time but the moron teller applied it to 223b and got a letter from their appointed bailiff a few weeks later. nice.

The only problem with this is... if the non-payment is because the taxpayer can't afford it, all sending in debt-collectors is going to do is cost HMRC money that they don't get back.

Usually they work on a commission basis. It's a good thing to have someone incentivised to be chasing the debt, otherwise it falls between the cracks as non-job paper pushers do nothing about it.

Edited by exiges

Usually they work on a commission basis. It's a good thing to have someone incentivised to be chasing the debt, otherwise it falls between the cracks as non-job paper pushers do nothing about it.

But if you recover nothing, your commission won't be too hot will it? This is based on the premise that people are withholding their tax and/or payments to HMRC. If they aren't...

Sounds like a nice job...calling on people and discussing ways to pay their debt...cups of tea galore, expenses and a fee.

where do I apply?

They keep sending me NI bills despite that my employer pays them. They can chase all they like as my debt

isn't valid.....I winder how many people have the same problem.

I personally would love to know the numbers of BTL landlords who aren't paying tax on their rental receipts.

Bit off topic but made me think.

loads of them ! i know a few :ph34r: