House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
I_hate_Sheffield_EAs

Taking The Piss In Sheffield

http://esrch.hlc-s.co.uk/pages.asp?group=e...&page=template1

This is on for 395,000

Four years ago it sold for 127,500

Just how much exactly have house prices really gone up?

This incences me.

Greedy vendors, greedy agents and people stupid enough to believe the hype.

Crazy crazy crazy

Its no wonder I call myself.......

..... I_Hate

(Cheers)

:)

Guest Bart of Darkness
A house is worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it

Should be interesting to see if this sells and if so, for how much.

That is a joke surely :lol:

Now I don't know Sheffield very well but I have been there a few times and I am from the North West, so I know a little about house prices in this area.

That is a 'pluck a figure out of thin air and see what happens' type of evaluation.

You got to feel sorry for any poor sod that pays that.

http://esrch.hlc-s.co.uk/pages.asp?group=e...&page=template1

This is on for 395,000

Four years ago it sold for 127,500

Just how much exactly have house prices really gone up?

This incences me.

Greedy vendors, greedy agents and people stupid enough to believe the hype.

Crazy crazy crazy

Its no wonder I call myself.......

..... I_Hate

(Cheers)

:)

Seems a normal? rise for there . No. 3 was bought in Dec'01 for £158K and SOLD in Sept'04 for , wait for it , £425K . Maybe they struck oil ?Shefield.jpgShefield.jpg

post-3081-1127658676_thumb.jpg

I've just had a trawl through some house prices in Sheffield and I must say I'm gobsmacked!

These are the sort of moronic prices you'd expect to see in Oxford, but Sheffield? ....Where has all the money suddenly come from?

I was a student here in the early 90's and most of my mates rented very cheaply in Nether Edge, Broomhill, Botanical Gardens etc.....you could even buy a four bedroomed place in any of these areas for around 40k then!

I lived out in Pitsmoor with a friend who bought a three bedroomed terrace in Nottingham Street for 12K in 1991. He put it on the market in 1996 and it was up for sale for nearly six years until someone bought it for around 30K a few years ago and we thought that was a good mark-up, considering the area!

Sheffield prices need a serious hammering ....at least 70% Off to make them affordable again!

Guest Bart of Darkness
These are the sort of moronic prices you'd expect to see in Oxford, but Sheffield? ....Where has all the money suddenly come from?

Exactly the question that brought me to HPC in the first place, trying to make some sense of the skyrocketing prices in my home town.

Remember that film "the full monty" in '97, wasnt that long ago, depicted the area well.

I would have to disagree with that. It was a very uneven portrayal of the city I hardly recognised the place.

Sheffield has always had a large middle-class population (of which I am not one!) and there are many areas of the city which are worth living in (but too f****** expensive!).

Without wanting to sound like Apollo1966, here are some examples:

http://www.shef.ac.uk/postcards/sheff2.html

http://www.shef.ac.uk/postcards/build2.html

http://www.shef.ac.uk/postcards/count2.html

Bear in mind that some of these pictures are years old and that even more has changed since then.

Personally I'd like to move out of the city entirely, into one of the surrounding villages. But imagine how much housing costs there!

Hi Bart

You're certainly right about the middle class areas of Sheffield. I still think it could be one of the most beautiful cities in England, if only they could sort the city centre out a bit more!

Most people who've never spent much time in the city seem to have the idea that it's full of endless smog stained terraced streets - far from it! - OK there are a few! Pitsmoor, Bramhall Lane, London Road areas sping to mind!

I used to live in Harcourt road, right at the end of Crookes Moor Road. Wasn't some of the Full Monty stuff shot down the other side of there?... is it Philadelphia?....that area at the back of Safeways on the Penistone Road?

What villages do you have in mind then? Something in the High Peaks area? A mate of mine bought a three bedroomed cottage in Chapel en le Frith for 35k in 1995, I thought that was a lot of dosh even then and I still think that would be a fair price today. The housing madness has 'devalued' money in the eyes of too many - 100k sounds worthless doesn't it? Peoples savings have been totally devalued as regards house prices.

In 1998 I bought a three bed in Northampton for 57k, I put down a 5K deposit. To buy the same house today I would need to put down 100K deposit to have the same mortgage repayments!

Guest Bart of Darkness

Hi Trevor,

You're spot on when you say "if only they could sort the city centre out a bit more!". I think the city suffered badly from post-war development, too many ugly concrete office blocks/shops replacing much more pleasant buildings. The council did more damage than the German bombers!

Things took a turn for the better from the 1990s onwards. Some attractive new buildings emerged. Orchard Square, The Winter Gardens, the redevelopment of the canal basin. Some of the worst excesses of post-war architecture were demolished, although some of their replacements (now being constructed near the town hall) look disturbingly 1970s in design.

At least these days there seems to be a little bit more respect for older buildings (the Leopold St. education building is being refurbished rather than demolished for example).

Wouldn't mind living somewhere like Hathersage or Bamford, although Chapel en le Frith looks good. Somewhere with a smallish population (I'm amazed at the price your mate paid, I doubt we'll see prices like that again!).

Take a look at this place in Hathersage. Very nice (but at that price, it should be). I'm watching it because I'm curious to see if it will in fact sell and for how much.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-671...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

I used to know a couple of people living on Bramhall Lane (one was a Blade so he loved it). He bought his house for £28,000 in 1999 (roughly). Sold it a few years later for £70,000!

The housing madness has 'devalued' money in the eyes of too many - 100k sounds worthless doesn't it?

I know, and what's worse, even I've started to think like that. £35,000 for a house seems like loose change these days.

Must watch "The Full Monty" again and try to spot the locations used. The only one I remember off-hand is the use of West Street DHS (where I used to sign on myself).