House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Portent

Gold And The Effect Of Currency Changes

I'm thinking of opening a Goldmoney account. But it occured to me that if the dollar falls considerably in the future, would this not have a negative effect on the price of any gold I have previously purchased?

I'm thinking of opening a Goldmoney account. But it occured to me that if the dollar falls considerably in the future, would this not have a negative effect on the price of any gold I have previously purchased?

In the last five years the US dollar lost approximately a third of its value against the Pound, Euro and Swiss Franc. At the same time gold went up in ALL currencies.

1a-cad-usd-jpy-euro-gbp-chf-5y-Large.gif

Remember, gold is money, a universal currency that cannot be inflated at will by governments and central banks.

If the dollar collapsed there would be a mad scramble of capital into the safety of gold, which would propel its price sky high.

Ah thanks. I think my fundamental mistake was believing that gold, like oil, is priced in dollars. When in actual fact it's really just like a currency (but a very stable one).