House Price Crash Forum

Banks Are Not Lending Enough

http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-news/2011/02/01/banks-are-told-to-make-more-loans-to-house-buyers-61634-28089459/

I live in Newcastle. Conversation at work today about house prices because someone had the journal with them. Everyone else agreed with the 'analysis' in the article. Banks are not lending enough. Why are people so thick? Why do people not see that the problem is that houses are too expensive (or to be more exact, sellers' values of their own houses are too high), rather than deposits or lending? Lately, I truly feel that the whole world has gone insane. Why do I not meet HPCrs in real life???

End.

Sceptic81

I so hear this all the time. Both lots of parents "the trouble is the banks arent lending" blah blah blah......our conversation......house x or house y is so overpriced, both lots of parents, "why don't you just offer them £xxxxxxxx", you can afford it, its only a few pounds a month grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Occasionally I manage to convince people at work that high prices are bad for everyone, then the next day they are all so back to the its good for house prices to soar, so I can borrow more money for the next move..Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

Anyway banks WILL lend to people who have been sensible, infact according to the online calculators they will lend more than I would be happy borrowing, especially at this time, when a crash 'may' be round the corner, although with everyday I get less optomistic, we have even looked at a few houses!!!

People see houses, indeed some see cars, as having a price ticket on them.

negotiation is something "professionals do".

they therefore see the asking price as the price....and cant see a way to meet the price without the bankers lending the difference.

silly.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-news/2011/02/01/banks-are-told-to-make-more-loans-to-house-buyers-61634-28089459/

I live in Newcastle. Conversation at work today about house prices because someone had the journal with them. Everyone else agreed with the 'analysis' in the article. Banks are not lending enough. Why are people so thick? Why do people not see that the problem is that houses are too expensive (or to be more exact, sellers' values of their own houses are too high), rather than deposits or lending? Lately, I truly feel that the whole world has gone insane. Why do I not meet HPCrs in real life???

End.

Sceptic81

It sounds like you made no effort to educate them?

Gather them and spread the HPC word....

congregation.jpg

post-15752-0-32490000-1296591089_thumb.jpg

:angry:

Yup -- it is DEEPLY depressing. :angry:

...don't be depressed....only those that used savings and borrowed more than the property they bought is worth, can't find the rent to cover it or has to slave away to fund a depreciating and high maintenance asset has a reason to be depressed....... ;)

I so hear this all the time. Both lots of parents "the trouble is the banks arent lending" blah blah blah......our conversation......house x or house y is so overpriced, both lots of parents, "why don't you just offer them £xxxxxxxx", you can afford it, its only a few pounds a month grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Occasionally I manage to convince people at work that high prices are bad for everyone, then the next day they are all so back to the its good for house prices to soar, so I can borrow more money for the next move..Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

Anyway banks WILL lend to people who have been sensible, infact according to the online calculators they will lend more than I would be happy borrowing, especially at this time, when a crash 'may' be round the corner, although with everyday I get less optomistic, we have even looked at a few houses!!!

Ha ha ha! LOL!

Keep the faith. Take it on the chin and have a sly laugh. Most of us here know prices will not only fall back to the mean, they will undershoot. Keep building your deposit and buy in trough (2015). Dont have any sympathy for these pigs. They are just meat to be slaughtered. Buy your next house at 2.5x your income. Good things come to those who wait.

The vast majority of the population are completely incapable of making an independent value judgement.

And it's not just houses, it's everything.

I could comfortably afford a dozen iPhone contracts, but i don't have one let alond 12, because an iPhone isn't worth £50/month to me. Not for it's flashiness or it's actual utility. For someone who spends hours stuck on the tube, maybe it is. The point is - people don't make personal value judgements any more.... because translating a "want" into a "have" is so much simpler now, they don't have to.....until it's too late.

The vast majority of the population are completely incapable of making an independent value judgement.

I could comfortably afford a dozen iPhone contracts, but i don't have one let alond 12, because an iPhone isn't worth £50/month to me. Not for it's flashiness or it's actual utility. For someone who spends hours stuck on the tube, maybe it is. The point is - people don't make personal value judgements any more.... because translating a "want" into a "have" is so much simpler now, they don't have to.....until it's too late.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Price and value are two completely different things.

Credit is the mechanism by which the two can diverge for very long periods of time, but not indefinitely.

my GFs iphone contract is £15 a month - 600 mins month, unlimited data & texts....

I've been wondering for a while about the sheeple hankering after "the good old days" of HPI. The resemblance to the cargo cults that sprung up in the pacific islands in the late 1940s is striking. After the Allies left at the end of the war, the islanders built their own runways & control towers, complete with controllers in the hope that they would lure the airplanes (and the cargos) back to the island.

How many sheeple think, if only the banks would lend, the good times would come back? Is it only a matter of time before isolated communities start building their own bank branches in the hope of luring credit to the area?

I've been wondering for a while about the sheeple hankering after "the good old days" of HPI. The resemblance to the cargo cults that sprung up in the pacific islands in the late 1940s is striking. After the Allies left at the end of the war, the islanders built their own runways & control towers, complete with controllers in the hope that they would lure the airplanes (and the cargos) back to the island.

How many sheeple think, if only the banks would lend, the good times would come back? Is it only a matter of time before isolated communities start building their own bank branches in the hope of luring credit to the area?

Is it better for us to become another Japan?

I love this connection. Ritual behaviour like EA's still chanting the mantra of 'bricks and mortar'; the overpriced FOR SALE signs pointing hopefully toward the skies; the ardent prayers for the return of easy credit and liar loans. The new doctrine of shared ownership.

"If we keep faithfully ramping, the great Spring Bounce will save us all, and the holy Sibley will return".

Keep scanning the skies, lads. Help won't come....