House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
or in excess of

Car Insurance Renewal

Last year £233, this year £317. Same car and circumstances.I thought like i do every year, that a quick flit across the comparison websites, and i will get it cheaper than the previous year. Not this year. The renewal invitation of £317 is actually the "cheapest" i can get.I think a lot of this increase is due to the ambulance chasing that has taken off recently (that ad with Billy Murray really p1sses me off). Surely, with huge rises in premiums, it will mean there will be more uninsured cars on the road, which apparently cost each insured driver £30 for each uninsured vehicle. Also, how much is it costing the comparison companies to advertise on the telly so regularly. Just about every ad break features one of them. Whatever the cost, it is going to be passed on to the driver.

Last year £233, this year £317. Same car and circumstances.I thought like i do every year, that a quick flit across the comparison websites, and i will get it cheaper than the previous year. Not this year. The renewal invitation of £317 is actually the "cheapest" i can get.I think a lot of this increase is due to the ambulance chasing that has taken off recently (that ad with Billy Murray really p1sses me off). Surely, with huge rises in premiums, it will mean there will be more uninsured cars on the road, which apparently cost each insured driver £30 for each uninsured vehicle. Also, how much is it costing the comparison companies to advertise on the telly so regularly. Just about every ad break features one of them. Whatever the cost, it is going to be passed on to the driver.

Makes me glad I'm scrapping my car in a couple of weeks. MoT & Tax were due and that was going to cost me over £250 if there was nothing wrong with the car and I don't have a service To add on another £300 or so for insurance will make it cheaper to rent when I need a car (especiall if I add on the £100 I will get when scrapping it).

Makes me glad I'm scrapping my car in a couple of weeks. MoT & Tax were due and that was going to cost me over £250 if there was nothing wrong with the car and I don't have a service To add on another £300 or so for insurance will make it cheaper to rent when I need a car (especiall if I add on the £100 I will get when scrapping it).

dont forget to syphon out the fuel and sell it on Ebay...£1.28 per litre.

Got mine cheaper as well, in January. Used cashback site for first time, so not sure how the £28 gets into my account. But even without that, still cheaper, still fully comp. And I did use the price comparison sites last year (aviva and direct line always too expensive).

I doubt this has anything to do with ambulance chasing. My guess - covering losses on reinsurance and the expense of accessing finance.

one aspect of insurance premiums is based on the safeness of an area, if you move to a less safe area or you have a local rise in crime your premiums will rise

I'll just get rid of my car if mine goes up, its been sat outside not used a month now so less diesel tax to the Govt and less to the insurance companies. I've cancelled my pet insurance last year becuase it jumped so much (£542) and the insurance company still had the audacity to send letters claiming I havent paid for the new insurance even though I hadnt even agreed to it to be rolled over.

Lets see who's laughing last with business and those sat on cash not spending it! :D

Interestingly enough I checked out streetcar and if they use your drive for one of their cars you get free membership with a number of rentals included. Given my car won't be taking up the space this looks like an ideal solution :-) Free driving!

When I fill up, it doubles the car value!

To be fair, at £1.30 a litre the old joke about doubling the value of a Skoda now applies to Audis.

Repeat after me "There is no reward for loyalty in the Motor Insurance Arena"...rinse then repeat until you realise that there is no reward for loyalty when it comes to car insurance.

Insurers are "driven" by direct Marketing campaigns...the success of which is measured by how many new policies they get every year...the Directors and marketing teams bonuses are based on how many new policies they can convert from quotes...as a result these Marketing people always make sure that new policies are heavily discounted...even to the point where the Insurer does NOT make any money in Y1, but instead Y2+

Its been the same practice since my first job back in 1988 working with "Norman"...and I doubt it will ever change.

Keep switching annually.

Guest eight

I doubt this has anything to do with ambulance chasing. My guess - covering losses on reinsurance and the expense of accessing finance.

My father in law crashed his 3 month old car in the snow a few weeks ago. He was only doing around 5 mph and my unqualified assessment is that the repair will involve a new bonnet and front bumper, both of which will need to be colour matched, obviously. The thing is, he's been tootling around in a hire car (at the policyholders' collective expense) for three weeks now and his hasn't even been looked at yet. Makes you wonder what's really loading the premiums.

eight

Bogus claims like whiplash every time you reverse slowly into a lamp post and more uninsured drivers than ever are much of the reason for this. The UK general insurance market hasn't made a profit in something like 20+ out of the last 25 years. We're hardly being ripped off, they're just covering the increasing risk cost.

Oh, and expect female insurance to shoot up by about 35% soon.

The EU are about to ban 'discrimination' based on gender in the insuance market.

So no company is going to bring the male prices down to match female or even meet them half way - because they know through their statistics that males are a higher risk. As soon as they drop the male prices they get every single one of the risky male drivers.. not a good business model.

My renewal went up by 35% and I have a clean record and a full NCB.

I got a quote from the insurance company endorsed by Michael Winner, and I got a price that I paid last year.

Maybe Experian et al have got into the insurance ratings market. Who knows what sort of expensive accident you might be suspectible to, you obviously don't enough of an accident record. :lol:

My father in law crashed his 3 month old car in the snow a few weeks ago. He was only doing around 5 mph and my unqualified assessment is that the repair will involve a new bonnet and front bumper, both of which will need to be colour matched, obviously. The thing is, he's been tootling around in a hire car (at the policyholders' collective expense) for three weeks now and his hasn't even been looked at yet. Makes you wonder what's really loading the premiums.

eight

If he was given the hire car by an 'Accident Management Company', tell him to hand it back ASAP, and get them to fix his. If the insurance company refuses to foot the hire car bill, he's landed with it.

http://honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/14057/crunch-credit

http://honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/14431/mental-rental

eight

My friend that works for one of the UK largest insurers says this is exactly the reason prices are going up, well that and the ambulance chasers.

My wife crashed our car last month. She crashed it on the Sunday, Esure had it picked up on the Tuesday and returned the following Monday. We used the body shops courtesy car while ours was in the garage, no need to mess around with hire cars @ 3x the market rate for extended periods of time.

If he was given the hire car by an 'Accident Management Company', tell him to hand it back ASAP, and get them to fix his. If the insurance company refuses to foot the hire car bill, he's landed with it.

http://honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/14057/crunch-credit

http://honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/14431/mental-rental

+1

Briefly, the scam is that the accident management companies organise the rental car, delay the repair as long as possible then present a hugely inflated bill for car hire (many thousands if not tens of thousands of pounds).

The insurers then refuse to pay at which point you become liable.

one aspect of insurance premiums is based on the safeness of an area, if you move to a less safe area or you have a local rise in crime your premiums will rise

A few years back i lived on an estate in east london and moved from one flat to another a few blocks along on the same estate , post code changed , phoned up the car insurance and it had dropped due to the change of address. Found it quite funny really but would have been a bit miffed if it had gone up due to that move.