House Price Crash Forum

Sterling Back Below $1.80

gone west

HOLA441
HOLA442

US rates are going up without stopping (lots expected a Sept pause)

UK desperately wants to drop rates (shame about inflation)

Euro is static

The pound will fall long term but expect some strong short term (3 month) moves as market makers manipulate.

I think in 3 years we'll hit 1.60. This is sharp but look long term and hitting 1.30 wouldn't be crazy over a suitable time span. We are at a high at the moment.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Does Anyone know: :blink:

Is it possible to save money in Australian or Canadian dollars?

How would I do this?

Does anyone know any "interest paying" savings accounts that can transfer my GB Pound sterling into Australian or Canadian dollars?

Can someone PLEASE POST A LINK: If they know of such a facility

Thanks in advance

HOLA448
Does Anyone know:  :blink:

Is it possible to save money in Australian or Canadian dollars?

How would I do this?

Does anyone know any "interest paying" savings accounts that can transfer my GB Pound sterling into Australian or Canadian dollars?

Can someone PLEASE POST A LINK: If they know of such a facility

Thanks in advance

http://www.barclays.com/internationalperso..._12_1_short.htm

Look for "Currency Call Deposit Account"

HOLA449

Thanks for link chnao :)

Does anyone know of any other facilitie for exchanging my GB Pound Sterling into Australian Dollar or Canadian Dollar as stated above?

Unfortunately this Barclays service only offers LOW interest rates! :(

Any idea's PLEASE for Aussie or Canadian Dollar savings accounts that offer decent rates of interest?

PLEASE POST A LINK : IF You know :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance

HOLA4410
Thanks for link chnao  :)

Does anyone know of any other facilitie for exchanging my GB Pound Sterling into Australian Dollar or Canadian Dollar as stated above?

Unfortunately this Barclays service only offers LOW interest rates!  :(

Any idea's PLEASE for Aussie or Canadian Dollar savings  accounts that offer decent rates of interest?

PLEASE POST A LINK : IF You know  :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance

CAD rates are low everywhere. Even my Canadian ING account only pays 2.4%.

HOLA4411

Yeah, my Canadian dollar account with HSBC pays about 1.75%... you won't get much interest anywhere.

On the other hand, in sterling terms I'm up a few percent already since transferring the money... but assuming the price of oil drops off over the next few months that will probably reverse.

I think in 3 years we'll hit 1.60. This is sharp but look long term and hitting 1.30 wouldn't be crazy over a suitable time span.

The pound will drop over the next few years, but I suspect the US dollar will drop at least as fast. US interest rate rises may even make it drop faster as they blow away the housing bubble and consumer spending.

HOLA4412

I think both Sterling and the Dollar are going to tank big time, although I now suspect the Dollar may go first.

Brown acts as a counter indicator for investments, he managed to sell half the UK gold reserves at a low in the gold price and the following cart shows he has been backing Blairs mate Bush buying around $60 Billion Dollars , increasing our exposure to a falling dollar. Looking at the chart no other country appears to have increase their exposure by anything like 60% over the same period.

http://www.ustreas.gov/tic/mfh.txt

UK Jan 2005 $101 Bln

UK July 2005 $160 Bln

Edited by Riser

HOLA4413

Down to $1.78 today. I'm real glad that most of my money is out of Sterling now... just wondering whether I should shift my ISA too, or whether the tax-free interest will compensate over the next year.

Maybe I'll start shifting more into gold if it goes below $450.

Edited by MarkG

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

True, but if you want to get out of sterling with a fairly low risk then a foreign currency account may be a better bet than foreign shares (and personally I have about as much money in foreign shares than foreign currency already). It's rare for the pound to rise so fast that you couldn't transfer the money back before you lost a significant amount, whereas shares can drop 50% or more in a day... also you may get more interest if the BoE cut rates again while the rest of the world is increasing.

On the other hand, you do lose about 1% every time you transfer the money so you don't want to be doing it on a regular basis.

Edited by MarkG

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I keep with my original prediction. It's falling but with some blips on the way there was a small one last week (+2cents).

The issue is that at some point the central banks will dump the dollar, so you need to guess the bottom. Personally there's a lot of vested interests both in the US and Japan/China that means the dumping will the later rather than sooner.