House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Linkein Profiles - Any Tips, Pros Or Cons?

Any one got any advice, tips, good or bad about setting up a LinkedIn profile?

Set up a fake one with a non real name. WHEN you need to network activate a real one. Otherwise stay hidden. I'm being semi stalked by an old work colleague who tracked me via the enter the email addresses of your connectees because of Linked in.

Quite a lot of recruitment agency staff use them. I imagine that can be a good and a bad thing.

Quite a lot of recruitment agency staff use them. I imagine that can be a good and a bad thing.

Yes, it is for my IT work that I am looking to join. I am told that here in the UK you get inundated by IT agents wanting to be your friend but in the US more and more companies are using it to get people.

I am worried by the stalkers and others that you do not wish to have in your life but, hey, hiding in a hole is not a good life to live.

Yes, it is for my IT work that I am looking to join. I am told that here in the UK you get inundated by IT agents wanting to be your friend but in the US more and more companies are using it to get people.

I am worried by the stalkers and others that you do not wish to have in your life but, hey, hiding in a hole is not a good life to live.

I get loads of agents trying to be friends. Nothing come of it yet. Although I have had numerous calls recently from agencies so could well be related.

As you say no harm. As for stalkers I am pretty sure you can just delete them ?

Weird, I had all of the keywords but never heard from anyone or any agents.

Binned it off in the end as got not value from it whatsoever in return for giving away all of my personal info.

The profile bit seems a tad confusing - you can list IT skills on there but then that puts you down as a spanner monkey. Listing Skill X , how many years you have done it and how much of an expert you consider yourself to be. It seems a bit formal and regulated and a tad dated... almost like a CV of 20 years ago...

Haven't quite worked out yet where you write some blurb or a paragraph about yourself. Found one place where you could type in stuff but the word limit was so little it seemed pointless.

Weird, I had all of the keywords but never heard from anyone or any agents.

Binned it off in the end as got not value from it whatsoever in return for giving away all of my personal info.

Yep, I'm personally not happy with my details available to all and sundry...at least with Facebook, you can limit access to certain groups of ppl...

Yep, I'm personally not happy with my details available to all and sundry...at least with Facebook, you can limit access to certain groups of ppl...

Yes, I tend to agree.

I have various people who I would rather not know what I am up to or where I am but I think that this is the age of the net now and you have to risk the pros and cons.

I am finding it odd with the linkedin profiles. When I click on some profiles of randomly chosen people I can view their details. When I click on others it states I need to upgrade to the premium pay service to see their details.

Admittedly, I have only glanced at linkedin - creating an online prescence these days takes an awful lot of time in setting it up let alone maintaining it.

I don't want an "on-line prescience"! :ph34r:

I have had a linked in profile for a few years, but I don't have any real info on it beyond what companies I've worked for and when.

Nevertheless I've been contacted by several recruitment agents recently - I had to laugh, one of them had only been out of university for a year and he looked about 12 in his profile picture.

I think the recruitment places just use it to gather names en masse - however I imagine it's a worthwhile thing to have if you have a particular skillset that your wanting to advertise either for a new job or consulting work of some sort.

Set up a fake one with a non real name. WHEN you need to network activate a real one. Otherwise stay hidden. I'm being semi stalked by an old work colleague who tracked me via the enter the email addresses of your connectees because of Linked in.

does he fancy you?

My advice would be don't use it.

One of our salesmen is currently searching for anyone with skills in x, checking their previous companies and then trying to sell our services to those companies.

Its proving to be a very quick way to identify target companies.