House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cica

Bbc Cost Savings

The BBC say they just axed or are rethinking the Electric Proms. Just another in a long line of cost savings.

I'm anti-BBC so cutting spending is a good thing but I don't understand why they are doing it if the licence fee was guaranteed for the next 2 years.

Aren't they going to end up with a budget surplus? Or are they anticipating lower revenue from world DVD sales or something?

Thanks

They will axe whatever they know will cause a fuss, rather than trash the relentless pwoperdee pron and other rubbish.

This timeworn tactic of the public sector is known as the Washington Monument Syndrome over the pond.

World Service Cuts a true case in point. The BBC could cut all their TV* so long as they keep the UK radio and WS intact AFAIAC

*with the exception of the following, which could have made me glad I had a TV, for just one occasion

Inspirational and remarkable

They will axe whatever they know will cause a fuss, rather than trash the relentless pwoperdee pron and other rubbish.

This timeworn tactic of the public sector is known as the Washington Monument Syndrome over the pond.

Thanks for that. Makes sense. I'll remember that one.

Nah it is like the doom scenarios predicted... i.e. while you may have a stash of gold. YOu push it up your bum to hide it and then pretend to be destroyed just like everybody else.

When the real cuts come because you pretend to be as poor as everybody else you are less likely to be targetted.

The BBC say they just axed or are rethinking the Electric Proms. Just another in a long line of cost savings.

I'm anti-BBC so cutting spending is a good thing but I don't understand why they are doing it if the licence fee was guaranteed for the next 2 years.

Aren't they going to end up with a budget surplus? Or are they anticipating lower revenue from world DVD sales or something?

Thanks

The entire funding of the World Service has gone from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to the Licence feee payer, so they will need to make savings of at ;east that amount elsewhere.

Isn't the licence fee frozen for two years?

(Or rising by 2%, it's hard to tell.)

Either way, it's effectively a cut since real inflation is around 6%. You may not see that mentioned on the BBC news but their bean counters know it.

Hence the need for some sort of cutting back.

Isn't the licence fee frozen for two years?

(Or rising by 2%, it's hard to tell.)

Either way, it's effectively a cut since real inflation is around 6%. You may not see that mentioned on the BBC news but their bean counters know it.

Hence the need for some sort of cutting back.

That would also make sense if the cuts are to cover inflation. I guess we need to know how big the planned cuts are overall. Thanks

The entire funding of the World Service has gone from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to the Licence fee payer, so they will need to make savings of at least that amount elsewhere.

Not until 2014. Before then, in 2013, funding for BBC Monitoring at Caverhsam will move from the Cabinet Office to the BBC. However, the main driver for cuts is that the licence fee (television tax) has been frozen at £145.50 until 2017 which is projected to be a 16% real terms cut. The BBC's director general, Mark Thompson, has said that he intends to seek cuts of 20% over four years to meet this settlement.

Thanks

I don't like the BBC and the amount it spends/wastes but fail to understand why they seem to be making cuts in what seems to be the quailty section of its programming. Why not cut some of the crappy day-time durge it churns out rather than this? A very good suggestion could be just to close down, say, BBC2 during the day which would undoubedly save millions.