House Price Crash Forum
thecrashingisles

Latest Space Saving Idea - Put Your Kitchen On The Landing

Yes it seems to break every fire regulation going, and I'm not sure if you can have the wc directly accessed from the kitchen either.

You can - there used to need to be 2 doors between a WC and a kitchen - for obvious reasons.

EDIT: Just spoke to my wife who says this regulation changed - so now you can have airborne faecal bacteria floating through to land on your kitchen worktops!

Edited by What's'isname

"Newly refurbished and
architecturally designed
"

Whe EAs use that turn of phrase "architecturally designed" it is a cover for whjat would otherwise be known as a dysfunctional bodge. It was a term EAs used for flat roofs accompanied by white stucco and large incongrous windows.

No, WC off the kitchen is illegal! But you can get around the problem a sort of double-door arrangement.

(Edit: and I notice they haven't shown a picture of the kitchen...)

Edited by Nationalist

Ahh, London.

A city where you spend so much of your income on inadequate housing that you have no expendable money left, and are forced to spend all your "free" time in said inadequate housing!

And put the bathroom on the landing instead? :lol:

Or more realistically - bathroom in the study on the landing half way up the stairs, and the study in the upstairs landing.

I once viewed a place in Putney in London where the flat had a bathroom accessible only via the kitchen. The worse thing was, that the doors were half glass, so anyone in the kitchen could see (and probably hear) you taking a dump.

Even though I was a uni student back then, I wasn't that desperate. LOL

And put the bathroom on the landing instead? :lol:

Well, yes. It looks like the bathroom would take up a lot less space, so you'd have a bathroom and a corridor.

now you can have airborne faecal bacteria floating through to land on your kitchen worktops!

Hate to break it to you, but there are probably faecal bacteria all over your house, your keyboard, your mobile etc already. I wouldn't worry about it though, unless you are sick with something they should be harmless.

Notice the distinct lack of pictures of the kitchen too?

Its funny because I actually used to go to school in that area (left in 2003) and it was an absolute dive up until about 2001.

Yup and its Earls Court too (not Chelsea - a world of difference). These kind of place figure a lot in any episode of The Sweeney.

this would have been a dump in the 60/70's picked up by perhaps a teacher on £1200-1500 a year for less than £8k. Now you would need to be a hedge fund manager and cook on the landing, in ear shot of your partner taking a dump!

Yup and its Earls Court too (not Chelsea - a world of difference). These kind of place figure a lot in any episode of The Sweeney.

this would have been a dump in the 60/70's picked up by perhaps a teacher on £1200-1500 a year for less than £8k. Now you would need to be a hedge fund manager and cook on the landing, in ear shot of your partner taking a dump!

Yeah, I love watching The Sweeney for that.

Hate to break it to you, but there are probably faecal bacteria all over your house, your keyboard, your mobile etc already. I wouldn't worry about it though, unless you are sick with something they should be harmless.

There must be loads of it on your toothbrush.

No, WC off the kitchen is illegal! But you can get around the problem a sort of double-door arrangement.

(Edit: and I notice they haven't shown a picture of the kitchen...)

You can have a WC off the kitchen without 2 doors. I have just refurbished my kitchen and removed the dividing door. The law was changed. Probably to accomodate modern housing which is now just too small.

Mythbusters covered this.

The cleanest place was the toilet.

It reminds me of that episode of Extras where the girl is sitting in the Kitchen/Dining room staring into a glass of wine with a disturbed look and Steve Merchent appears from a toilet off the kitchen brandishing a toilet brush stating "another flush should do it".

It reminds me of that episode of Extras where the girl is sitting in the Kitchen/Dining room staring into a glass of wine with a disturbed look and Steve Merchent appears from a toilet off the kitchen brandishing a toilet brush stating "another flush should do it".

Now that is funny.

When I had my kitchen revamped a few months ago you can see people hesitantly going to the loo because of the noise issues....

Bloody plasterboard is hopeless.

haha! someone actually lives like that! for 795K!

I suppose it's multi-functional. With an extended ladle from the bog you could could keep an eye on the pasta. I'd say turn the study into two single bedrooms and create split level features with the bedroom....oh the wonders to push this to a mil!