House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sarah Beeny!

Worried Saver Waiting For Hpc.

Thought I had a good grip of things but am now starting to worry badly. Can't wait for a housing crash despite owning outright a £500k (?) house/land. I am and have been stashing £3-4k a month for years in savings, ie the bank - doh! I know it's stupid but I don't know what to do next with £200k in cash.

I am as big a bear as anyone here and think Gordenron has f**ked it badly and am now worrying big time that he will steal my money. I have learnt LOADS from this site from you all but need some top-tips! I can't donate to you FTB's - sorry, been there 15 yrs ago and got burnt, badly!

Not too risk adverse (apart from endowment mortgage and got a house in 1989, bad move!), now wiser and not so stupid.

A plea to Dr Bubb and Cgnao. Should I go for shares or gold?

So confused I might get a boat!! Secondhand of course - no VAT!!

I don't trust stockbrokers. I think about 10kg or so of bullion, good move or what?

Thought I had a good grip of things but am now starting to worry badly. Can't wait for a housing crash despite owning outright a £500k (?) house/land. I am and have been stashing £3-4k a month for years in savings, ie the bank - doh! I know it's stupid but I don't know what to do next with £200k in cash.

I am as big a bear as anyone here and think Gordenron has f**ked it badly and am now worrying big time that he will steal my money. I have learnt LOADS from this site from you all but need some top-tips! I can't donate to you FTB's - sorry, been there 15 yrs ago and got burnt, badly!

Not too risk adverse (apart from endowment mortgage and got a house in 1989, bad move!), now wiser and not so stupid.

I don't trust stockbrokers. I think about 10kg or so of bullion, good move or what?

What I would do with £200k:

£20k to £50k in gold bullion (either Britannias/Sovereigns, if you can store them safely, or goldmoney or another allocated account with a respectable bullion dealer)

Up to £10k gold/resource shares (Merryl Lynch Gold&General is a decent gold fund)

The rest split equally in CHF, GPB and EUR, in at least three different unrelated banks at least one of which offshore. Channel Islands are OK, Switzerland is best.

Good Luck

Lol

mortgage paid and £200k and no clue what to do with it,

pull the other one!!

If you are serious RAOFLMAO,

Buy 10% gold, 5% platinium

spend 20% on building your self a underground bunker, 1095 tins of beans, a fork and a box of matches.

PM you address to me then go hide in your bunker with all your wealth till worst is over, I come get you when its safe :)

if you get cold, burn some cash won't be worth anything once your out.

Guest Time 2 raise Interest Rates
Thought I had a good grip of things but am now starting to worry badly. Can't wait for a housing crash despite owning outright a £500k (?)

You can't wait for a housing crash.

I think you'll find if you take the VIs spin out of the equation and do your own research, you may find there's one under way. Even Rightmove said the average house price has fallen £3,200 in the last three months. The crash is just beginning.

Edited by Time 2 raise Interest Rates

''Panorama'' Sunday 1015pm..........................seems to be about Gordy's economic smoke and mirrors act!...........and how it's going to crash soon

Ah, what to do with your money. I think a lot of people are going to be worried, not just from a tax perspective, but also from the fact the Bank of England (bunch of f*ckin' c*ck suckers that they are! :angry:) will probably be cutting IRs and sacrificing the inflation target.

It sucks, really it does. What ever you do, it's hard to recommend keeping it in a savings account.

Perhaps you should consider sending your money overseas?

Interesting interview with Sir John Templeton.

One of the wise men of the finance industry.

http://chinese-school.netfirms.com/Sir-Joh...-interview.html

thanks for the link - liked the quote below - buy to let?

: What signs helped you see that the U.S. technology bubble was about

to burst back in 2000?

John Templeton: If you want to have a better performance than the crowd, you must do

things differently from the crowd. Four years ago the crowd was piling

into tech stocks. The prices went sky-high. I sold my clients'

technology stocks, and sold a lot of them short. I have put these

philosophies into a simple statement: Help people. When people are

desperately trying to sell, help them and buy. When people are

enthusiastically trying to buy, help them and sell.

Guest Time 2 raise Interest Rates
Ah, what to do with your money.  I think a lot of people are going to be worried, not just from a tax perspective, but also from the fact the Bank of England (bunch of f*ckin' c*ck suckers that they are!  :angry:) will probably be cutting IRs and sacrificing the inflation target.

Don't hold your breath too long for rate cuts. Especially the US upping theirs again today. Not long now before sterling tanks.

Don't hold your breath too long for rate cuts.  Especially the US upping theirs again today.  Not long now before sterling tanks.

Perhaps, but I think the comments made by Nickell show which direction IRs are going...down. Everything else can be sacrificed apart from Gordon, of course.

Do i smell a Troll?

Do i smell a Troll?

Don't know, but if I had a 500k house paid for, 200k in the bank, and I was able to stash 3 - 4k a month, I wouldn't have a care in the world.

I certainly wouldn't care about house prices !!

£20k to £50k in gold bullion (either Britannias/Sovereigns, if you can store them safely, or goldmoney or another allocated account with a respectable bullion dealer)

Up to £10k gold/resource shares (Merryl Lynch Gold&General is a decent gold fund)

The rest split equally in CHF, GPB and EUR, in at least three different unrelated banks at least one of which offshore.  Channel Islands are OK, Switzerland is best.

Good Luck

I had a bit of a look today at some of the usual "doom-monger" financial websites SafeHaven, Daily Reckoning, Financial Sense etc. and was shocked at the extreme gold bullishness.

There was a definite feeling of no downside - sound familiar? You know what happens next...

You've got over half a mill in assets and cash and are saving 3-4K a month? Get out there and enjoy your life and stop worrying!

The rest split equally in CHF, GPB and EUR, in at least three different unrelated banks at least one of which offshore. Channel Islands are OK, Switzerland is best.

Good Luck

Thanks for the info cgnao, I will follow it up.

For the rest of you that have flamed me I find this site an enormous source of educational information. I am seriously worried about my financial position.

You can accuse me of being a troll if you like but it matters not to me. I am probably older than most of you and have built up a pile that might offend you, so what? I have worked for it (43).

Believe me you would NOT 'worry about it' when you start to think that the government will steal it from you by hook or by crook.

Thanks to all with the positive info.

Thanks for the info cgnao, I will follow it up.

For the rest of you that have flamed me I find this site an enormous source of educational information. I am seriously worried about my financial position.

You can accuse me of being a troll if you like but it matters not to me. I am probably older than most of you and have built up a pile that might offend you, so what? I have worked for it (43).

Believe me you would NOT 'worry about it' when you start to think that the government will steal it from you by hook or by crook.

Thanks to all with the positive info.

i'd like to say what i think of you... but i would be banned again.

anyhow, i agree with the others, you are so obviously bull*****ing.

If I had a 500K house and 200K savings (and saving 3K a month) I'd downsize my house to a 300K house

bank the other 200K to make 400K savings (ISAs, Premium Bonds, Gold, and high interest savings). Let it build up and live off the 3K a month and have a bloody good time or......emmigrate!

i'd like to say what i think of you... but i would be banned again.

anyhow, i agree with the others, you are so obviously bull*****ing.

How precisely do you intend to prove your statement of my current financial situation?

You comment that I am 'so obviously bullshitting'. Your facts are?

I follow Dr Bubb, cgnao, MarkG, chuz, Red baron, Only me and a few others with fervour, you I do not sadly.

If I had a 500K house and 200K savings (and saving 3K a month) I'd downsize my house to a 300K house

bank the other 200K to make 400K savings (ISAs, Premium Bonds, Gold, and high interest savings). Let it build up and live off the 3K a month and have a bloody good time or......emmigrate!

400K @ 5% = 20K, less basic tax = 16K = 1330 a month, whoops..

400K @ 5% = 20K, less basic tax = 16K = 1330 a month, whoops..

I wouldn't put it all in the same pot.

10-20% in gold, 30K in Premium Bonds. Use up the ISA allowance.

I'd downsize so that when the housing market pops, dont take a hit

on 500K, but on less. Might even invest in China. Put rest in high interest

savings. 5.4% likely to be higher if IR's go up.

Good Luck

PM on the way, cheers.

I wouldn't put it all in the same pot.

10-20% in gold, 30K in Premium Bonds. Use up the ISA allowance.

I'd downsize so that when the housing market pops, dont take a hit

on 500K, but on less. Might even invest in China. Put rest in high interest

savings. 5.4% likely to be higher if IR's go up.

Done the £30k PB, ISA and the high int savings. How do I invest in China?!?!

I know it's where it's all at but do you trust funds?

Cheers.

Done the £30k PB, ISA and the high int savings. How do I invest in China?!?!

I know it's where it's all at but do you trust funds?

Cheers.

China, he means teapots and plates probably.