House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Redback911

London Council Paid Celebrities £42,000 For Staff Awards

Its OK though, "The council said it no longer hired well-known speakers for staff awards."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12322579

Now for something vaguely on forum topic. It seems Tower Hamlets is one of the most deprived areas in the country. Yet the average house price was £362,373 in November 2010 (Land Registry figures):

Average house price £362,373

Semi-detached £562,915

Terrace £486,874

Flat £348,504

Annual change in house price +7.5%

Quarterly change +8.2%

Total number of sales: 851

Big salaries from the BBC to give them a high profile, and big bucks from other public sector bodies to top it up...

Believe me, a lot of BBC journos earn far more from doing corporate work than they do from their salaries... and many have very fat salaries.... Ironically, if they did not have the BBC jobs they would not be in demand for the corporate work.

Hence why I argue that you could pay BBC newsreaders ZERO wage and they would still make more money than most of us from their corporate work.

I think you will find that loads of public sector bodies of all types do this.

Your are no doubt correct. I suppose its too much to hope for altruism on the part of these "celebrities". Perhaps Councils should identify local "celebrities" to volunteer time to assist with internal and external council events. Maybe they do already.

The spending of money on "celebrities" to make appearances makes me wonder about my own Council. I plan to email them under the Freedom of Information Act and see if they will tell me IF, Who, and How Much, they spend on "celebrities" at staff events.

The spending of money on "celebrities" to make appearances makes me wonder about my own Council. I plan to email them under the Freedom of Information Act and see if they will tell me IF, Who, and How Much, they spend on "celebrities" at staff events.

It wouldn't surprise me if the so-called 'Chief Executive' of at least one council charged an celebrity appearence fee to attend one of their own events. :lol:

Believe me, a lot of BBC journos earn far more from doing corporate work than they do from their salaries... and many have very fat salaries.... Ironically, if they did not have the BBC jobs they would not be in demand for the corporate work.

Hence why I argue that you could pay BBC newsreaders ZERO wage and they would still make more money than most of us from their corporate work.

Are they still employed by the BBC?

A host of the BBC's highest-paid presenters are classing themselves as freelancers to avoid paying the new 50per cent tax levy on the rich.

The arrangement allows the corporation to avoid paying millions in National Insurance contributions which all employers are legally bound to do for members of staff.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1218027/Big-earning-BBC-stars-set-companies-escape-high-tax-bills.html

Its OK though, "The council said it no longer hired well-known speakers for staff awards."

Now for something vaguely on forum topic. It seems Tower Hamlets is one of the most deprived areas in the country. Yet the average house price was £362,373 in November 2010 (Land Registry figures):

Semi-detached £562,915

Terrace £486,874

Flat £348,504

Quarterly change +8.2%

Tower Hamlets has long been a regular in the 'Rotten Boroughs' pages of the Eye. Basically just a relocation of Bangladeshi turf wars, via local politics. Avoid at all costs.

Semi-detached £562,915

Terrace £486,874

Flat £348,504

Quarterly change +8.2%

Says it all :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

When reality hits in London there will be carnage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...london-12322579

Semi-detached £562,915

Terrace £486,874

Flat £348,504

Quarterly change +8.2%

Tower Hamlets does include a chunk of Docklands, Isle of dogs and of course bankster central, aka Canary Wharf.

Tower Hamlets does include a chunk of Docklands, Isle of dogs and of course bankster central, aka Canary Wharf.

I frequent this area, and theres a stark contrast between the rich and the poor. One road in particular, when driving, my friend pointed out that one side you had council blocks and on the other side you had newbuild city style flats going for 300k ukp and upwards.

One just needs to go visit some places like Narrow St. right on the docks to see that one side you've got a weird mix of middle class people with council people and chavs just further up the road.