House Price Crash Forum
swissy_fit

Bristol Area Recommendation Sought

Didn't want to intrude on the main Bristol thread as this one won't last long.

Can anyone recommend an area of Bristol that isn't too rough(need a decent school for a 13yo and a creche for a 2yo), can access the airport fairly easily, can access the centre fairly easily, especially the hospital, and where prices aren't like in Clifton? Looking for a 3-4 bed house with a garden.

I'm assuming to get to the airport that south of the river is better. What are Totterdown, Southville, the area around Victoria Park and Bedminster like?

Have you considered towns outside Bristol?

Places like Nailsea, Backwell and Yatton have fairly fast and frequent train services to the centre of Bristol. The hospital is a 15 minute walk from Bristol Temple Meads. Driving into the centre of Bristol is also possible, though not much fun.They are as close to the airport as any part of Bristol, and probably have better schools. Cheaper than the "good" areas of Bristol as well.

Have you considered towns outside Bristol?

Places like Nailsea, Backwell and Yatton have fairly fast and frequent train services to the centre of Bristol. The hospital is a 15 minute walk from Bristol Temple Meads. Driving into the centre of Bristol is also possible, though not much fun.They are as close to the airport as any part of Bristol, and probably have better schools. Cheaper than the "good" areas of Bristol as well.

Thanks, doesn't look a bad idea, the train services look good and the airport looks close, though in my experience good trains are only useful if you live closeish to the station.

Is Backwell particularly well thought-of, or are the schools top-notch?

It looks fairly pricey to me, all things considered. Example, pleasant but bland small-bedroomed 3-bed near station, 290k.

http://www.globrix.com/property-details/29990662-longthorn-backwell-bs48-3_bed-house?from_results=1&hit=35

I'm having to review the idea anyway as Easyjet are reducing the service from Geneva to Bristol which would make it difficult.

Backwell probably has the best reputation of the 3 towns, and prices to match.

I don't have first-hand experience of schools in any of these towns, but I've heard it said that the schools are on average better than those in Bristol.

Also, it seems that the unambiguous price reductions over the last 12 months in some areas of Bristol haven't reached these 3 towns yet.

If you want to be a little closer to Bristol, Long Ashton is very nice. A stones throw from the beautiful Ashton Court estate. A short drive into the center and still good link for the airport.

This auction property could be a steal. What a view!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-17958531.html?premiumA=true

Anywhere in Bristol except Knowle West, Southmead, Broom Hill or Hartcliffe. It's mainly a very friendly city.

Broomhill? Not that bad. Have you been to Easton, Fishponds or St Pauls recently?

There are many dumps in Bristol, be very careful and learn about the area first. I suggest coming to visit for a long weekend, scope out areas you believe to be in your budget, favoured location and enjoy.

Equally, there are many beautiful parts of Bristol. It is a fantastic City.

Arrrghhhh - just lost a long reply. How frustrating. I'll try again. Note to self, alway type replies in notebook, cut and paste.

Basically, Long Ashton is great. Check out the Northern and Eastern ends - generally the higher you are, the nicer the houses and better the views. Transport links aren't up to much, there is no train station (yet) and Bristol buses require the hide of a buffalo.

It's not everybody's cup of tea but I really like Stoke Bishop/Sneyd Park. A very quiet, private and leafy suburb (Very middle class) a stone's throw from the Downs and the Avon Gorge. It is close to the Portway which will whizz you along to the Airport. Downsides would be some half-witted neighbours (although nowhere near as bad as Henleaze or Clifton) and the Massive lack of pubs, which is the areas major downfall. Check the area out by car, it may be for you.

Parts of Southville, Bedminster and Totterdown are nice, rule of thumb, the closer to the excellent parks you are, the better the properties. It's personal preference but I would do my best to avoid the Yummy Mummy crowd that is flocking to pockets of the area in their droves. North Street was once a local high street full of great little shops. Unfortunately it has become a pretentious free trade lentil ghetto.

If you want bang for your buck, Brislington isn't as hideously over priced as most of Bristol. You can pick up a good sized Victorian/Edwardian semi-detached or detached house for around the 200k mark. That even includes a decent sized garage and garden. Primary Schools are good but Brislington Enterprise College is shite. If you don't mind a bit of a School run, St Mary Redcliffe Secondary School is close.

I'll post some links to competitively priced properties in the areas I have recommended. Word of advice, in BS4 and BS3, you can quite confidently knock 20% off of asking prices and your offer could be accepted (Insider knowledge)

Good Luck and I hope you make the move. It's a great City.

Broomhill? Not that bad. Have you been to Easton, Fishponds or St Pauls recently?

moved from Easton to Barton Hill 18 months ago. Despite their (undeserved) reputations, I'd recommend either. Apart from the odd stabbing

Equally, there are many beautiful parts of Bristol. It is a fantastic City.

word

Any update Swissyfit?

Hi - no, but thanks for your replies (everyone, that is) I'm sure they'll be useful for anyone else cruising the forum considering the Bristol area.

It's not looking a likely move now, for various complicated family reasons.

Overall I'd rather stay in Switzerland tbh, the aim was to get my wife a UK passport and allow her to study more cheaply(yes, believe it or not it's even more expensive here).

Anyway thanks again.

SF

Also, it seems that the unambiguous price reductions over the last 12 months in some areas of Bristol haven't reached these 3 towns yet.

You are right with that! Nailsea is rather expensive, and has no charm whatsoever! Even the Tesco is rubbish, compared to the one in Clevedon! :huh: