House Price Crash Forum
fellow

Coming Soon: Compulsory Water Meters For All

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1352046/Coming-soon-Compulsory-water-meters----And-youll-pay-200-installation-price.html

Water meters are expected to be made compulsory in all homes to cut consumption.

Ministers will unveil proposals next month designed to cut average water use from 148 to 130 litres per person per day by 2030.

The cost of installing a meter will run to £200 per house, a sum likely to be passed on to consumers. It is expected that 80 per cent of households in England will pay for water using a meter by 2020.

Those who use the highest amount of water will be worst affected. This includes large families, the disabled and those who regularly water large gardens or wash their cars.However, those who tend to use less, such as the elderly and those who live alone, would see their bills greatly reduced.

The current system sees each household without a meter pay a fixed annual sum for their water based on their home’s rateable value. Those with a meter pay just for the water they use.

Environment Secretary Caroline Spelman is understood to have accepted in principle that future water charges should be based on metering, with the aim of cutting waste. Government sources said no decision had been made but proposals are expected in weeks.

Civil servant Anna Walker, who has prepared a report on the issue for ministers, is calling for legislation to enforce the installation of more meters.

‘Most of us find water and sewerage services cheap – less than a £1 per day for some households,’ Mrs Walker said. ‘But the future looks rather different.

‘A combination of significant population growth, the effects of climate change and the need to renew what is often Victorian infrastructure will put increasing pressure on both the availability and the cost of water. Charging by volume of water used is the most effective way of incentivising the efficient use of water.’

There is increasing concern that the 60 per cent of households without a water meter are being punished with hugely inflated bills, which can be more than £300 a year higher.

The water industry has been accused of using price pressure to effectively force households to switch to water meters.

Ministers are considering targeting metering in areas where water shortages are most severe, and doing more to persuade people to switch voluntarily.

Time to buy your water butts now....quick the price of oil is increasing, meaning anything made of plastic will also increase........it is a good idea to do that anyway, you can save the water drained from the roof to water your plants/veg for free. ;)

Any single person or childless couples should get a water meter installed pronto. My charges are now 25% of the amount I used to pay, with the same water consumption and you become aware of water usege as well, which is good.

The current system subsidises people with kids or houses that have lots of people living in them like HMO's i.e landlords.

Edit: Shes says houses pay £1 a day in the article, I pay less than 18p a day.

Edited by ralphmalph

'hate the idea of water meters, it just becomes a race to the bottom on water consumption- people end up flushing the bog once a day and it's foul.

the whole idea is that water companies can invest less in infrastructure to meet demand while still getting the same revenue.

stupid idea. we have a massive amount of rainfall - it's an embarrassment that we ever have water shortages.

Well, if they're going to charge £200 to install a meter in the future then just get it done now while it's free. Furthermore, you can also swap back in the first year if it's costing you too much - or at least you could, don't know if it's still the case.

In a previous rental house of mine, Thames Water tried to bully us into having a water meter when we got a new contract. They came up with some nonsense about it being a "requirement" and even got to the point where they were sending us letters telling us what day the installation man was coming and saying that we had to be there to let him in. We just ignored it all for a few months and the problem magically went away.

People would probably be less suspicious of meters if they thought that using less water might actually save them money. Of course everybody knows how privatised utilities work now, they know full well that in 5 years' time their water bills will be 20-30% higher as their reward for using 20-30% less water.

Meters are cheaper than rates. They are using that to get people on to meters.

What do you think is going to happen to the price of water once the majority have a meter?

Good. It makes people take personal responsibility.

If you think your neighbours are being super wasteful and you're having to subsidise them you're less inclined to be frugal with your own water.

When we moved into our rental we asked to have a meter installed, afterwards our water bill went down by 70%

Edited by exiges

What do you think is going to happen to the price of water once the majority have a meter?

Quite. It's all about increasing profitability while in the longer term the infrastructure crumbles. Sounds pretty much like the way most things are run in the UK. I wonder how the Germans do things? I've got a funny feeling that the charges will be less and the infrastructure sound.

If heavy users pay more than the current pricing and low users pay less, why would anything change?

Quite. It's all about increasing profitability while in the longer term the infrastructure crumbles. Sounds pretty much like the way most things are run in the UK. I wonder how the Germans do things? I've got a funny feeling that the charges will be less and the infrastructure sound.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/2580762/German-water-is-most-expensive-on-the-planet.html

German water prices are the highest in the world. So much for Germany efficiency then.

The grass is not always greener.

Edit here is a quote from a German

"We have masses of water," wrote one reader to Die Welt newspaper. "It's just that the water companies let everything leak into the rivers. Germans are being ripped off because our politicians are useless. Everything has been run wrong for 20 years."

Edited by ralphmalph

Already got one (living in a newish build - well 2005). However we recently discovered a leak to the central heating system, I calculated at least a bath full a day was dripping into the car park below. Reported problems with the heating to the letting agent 10 months ago, but nothing down about it, so currently working out how much my "extra charges" are. Isn't a bath usually over 250 litres?

Yup, they use the early adopters (who are generally light users) to perfect the billing system, then wham bam! It's mandatory and prices go up to ensure revenue increases.

Time to buy your water butts now....quick the price of oil is increasing, meaning anything made of plastic will also increase........it is a good idea to do that anyway, you can save the water drained from the roof to water your plants/veg for free. ;)

1 waterbutt is not enough.

You need a seriously large container to save enough water for even a few plants.

If heavy users pay more than the current pricing and low users pay less, why would anything change?

because that isnt what happens. Heavy users pay more than they use on rates and low users pay for lots more than they use. It is all profit for the water companies.

This makes being on a meter attractive right now since it will save money.

Once the majority of users are on meters and water can be charged by the litre then prices will rise. They will rise to replace the profit lost from screwing those that were on rates and they will rise because they will.

Once the majority of users are on meters and water can be charged by the litre then prices will rise. They will rise to replace the profit lost from screwing those that were on rates and they will rise because they will.

Quite. They need at least the same income to keep "upgrades" and profits...

So when everyone has a meter they'll just charge you more for it.

Secret to getting it installed is to make sure your outside tap isn't included on it apparently.

And I know someone who asked for one (currently free) but they said they couldn't do it as it would mean cutting a kitchen unit base and they don't do that sort of thing.

Edited by SarahBell

1 waterbutt is not enough.

You need a seriously large container to save enough water for even a few plants.

I don't disagree, but every little helps.......I would rather pay a fixed price for my water per year then I know where I stand and can budget accordingly, not have to worry about leaks, burst pipes etc.....what was wrong with having a hosepipe ban if there is a shortage of water?.......meters is just another way of profiteering.....the price will never fall only rise and don't forget the standing charge, so don't think if you don't use any water it will be free. ;)

I'm a bit suspicious of the motives behind this.

For the last x6 quarters we (wife & I) have averaged ~30m3 water consumption (bit high I think) but anyway, estimated water bill landed for this quarter. Water company has billed for 45m3. Unduly lining their coffers methinks!

I'm a bit suspicious of the motives behind this.

For the last x6 quarters we (wife & I) have averaged ~30m3 water consumption (bit high I think) but anyway, estimated water bill landed for this quarter. Water company has billed for 45m3. Unduly lining their coffers methinks!

It is only estimated though, you could ring and give them the correct readings and get a new bill.

or, if you suspect that water will be more expensive later in the year then pay their bill now and you have paid in advance to secure 15m3 at todays cheaper rate.

I always mess with the gas readings to buy gas cheaper in advance of their winter hike.

Another revenue generating idea.

I also expect a water tax to be put on it as well.

As we are a family of 6 I'll be fooked on a meter. Especially with all the flushing and washing that goes on.

Another revenue generating idea.

I also expect a water tax to be put on it as well.

As we are a family of 6 I'll be fooked on a meter. Especially with all the flushing and washing that goes on.

I dont think you would be fooked, not at todays prices.

There are 3 of us, washing machine and dishwasher are always on and wifey/daughter have a thing for baths.

Our metered bill is a fraction of my parents rates and they live up north while we are thames water.

'hate the idea of water meters, it just becomes a race to the bottom on water consumption- people end up flushing the bog once a day and it's foul.

I predict an increase in BO as people have less showers and wash their clothes less often.

Edited by fellow