House Price Crash Forum

I'm Suing Sky, Says Ex-Girlfriend Of Jamie Redknapp Called 'it' By Richard Keys

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1352018/Im-suing-Sky-says-ex-girlfriend-Jamie-Redknapp-called-Richard-Keys.html

A woman who was the subject of crude remarks by Sky Sports presenter Richard Keys plans to sue the company for breach of privacy and defamation of character.

Louise Glass, 38, said she was stunned when footage was released of Keys asking her ex-boyfriend Jamie Redknapp if he had ‘smashed it’ - slang for slept with her.

‘Richard Keys spoke of me like I was some old whore, like I was nothing,’ said the married mother of twins.

‘I’m not a prude, I’ve got a sense of humour, but the level of aggression in there was awful.

‘I wasn’t even a whore. I was an “it”. My life has turned upside down and now I’m paying the price for their slapstick.’

Keys, 53, resigned from his £500,000-a-year job over what he described as his ‘prehistoric’ comments - shortly after his colleague Andy Gray was sacked following the release of footage showing him asking presenter Charlotte Jackson to tuck a microphone down his trousers.

Sky News broadcast the ‘smash it’ exchange after it was mysteriously leaked on YouTube.

Mrs Glass’s husband Jimmy, a former goalkeeper with Carlisle United, immediately rang the broadcaster to ensure his wife’s name was bleeped out of the clip.

In the sexist conversation, which was filmed last year but not transmitted, Keys is in the studio with Redknapp and fellow ex-footballers Graeme Souness and Ruud Gullit. A friend of Souness who is off camera mentions that he knows Redknapp’s ex-girlfriend Louise. Keys asks Redknapp: ‘Did you smash it?’

An embarrassed Redknapp says: ‘I used to go out with her.’

Keys adds: ‘Mind you, that’s a stupid question. If you were anywhere near it you’d definitely smash it,’ and goes on: ‘You’d have gone round there any night of the week and found Redknapp hanging out the back of it.’

I wonder if Sky will now have to hold an inquiry into who leaked the clips? Although is Sky ultimately responsible for this? It was off air, would it Keys who's liable for his comments? If this does go to court I'm guessing it would be a complex case. Sky more willing to settle out of court and admit no liability?

It's an interesting one part of me is for FFS, but then again this woman didn't ask to be talked about in this way across the whole of the media and if she's never courted celebrity having it all splashed over the papers could be very traumatic.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1352018/Im-suing-Sky-says-ex-girlfriend-Jamie-Redknapp-called-Richard-Keys.html

I wonder if Sky will now have to hold an inquiry into who leaked the clips? Although is Sky ultimately responsible for this? It was off air, would it Keys who's liable for his comments? If this does go to court I'm guessing it would be a complex case. Sky more willing to settle out of court and admit no liability?

It's an interesting one part of me is for FFS, but then again this woman didn't ask to be talked about in this way across the whole of the media and if she's never courted celebrity having it all splashed over the papers could be very traumatic.

I agree. I don't know how far she'll get with a defamation action though. For something to be defamatory it has to be something said about the claiminat which is likely to "lower them in the estimation of right thinking people" or, "make them shun or avoid them" and I don't think that those statements meet that standard, crude as they were.

HOLA443

I agree. I don't know how far she'll get with a defamation action though. For something to be defamatory it has to be something said about the claiminat which is likely to "lower them in the estimation of right thinking people" or, "make them shun or avoid them" and I don't think that those statements meet that standard, crude as they were.

Clearly she won't be shunned as she'll probably be perpetually asked now if Redknapp smashed her by random strangers.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Isn't the problem here that this conversation was leaked and is now public - rather than it happening in the first place ? How many people talk about things like this all the time ? Male and female ? It's what makes the ******ing World go round !!

Yes it is a bit of filthy chat. However it is not exactly anything out of the ordinary. I know your ex bird. Oh aye ? Did you bang her ? Eh - I went out with her !! Aye - bet you were round there every night giving her a good smashing.

Now whilst this is perhaps not the most pleasant of conversations - not exactly the end of the World. Whether it is a bloke saying it or a bird. And yes us blokes do know the chat you ladies get up to - so dont go all shy on us :)

I wonder if Keys etc... have any stance about Sky airing a chat that they were told would not be on air ? I assume in this business you are told when you are live/recorded and then act accordingly ?

So if they have a private conversation and then it is leaked without their knowledge ? I wonder if their contract/terms of employment have been breached ?

Interesting anyway.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Personally, I think Keys is pathetic. In fact, I've never heard the term 'smash it' - and now I have, it seems very ofensive to me (IMHO more offensive than 'bang it' for example). And no, I'm not a hermit by any means!

I used to like Keys and Gray but now they seem to be nothing more than a couple of bullies high on their own self-importance and treating everyone around them (particularly women) like dirt.

And I say that as a red-blooded male.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX7noqN6SOI

HOLA448

Yes - do these bits normally get recorded ? No idea myself. And yes I agree with others who seem to think these 2 appear like a bunch of twats. However that is not what they were fired for.

HOLA449

Yes - do these bits normally get recorded ? No idea myself. And yes I agree with others who seem to think these 2 appear like a bunch of twats. However that is not what they were fired for.

This was the famous Jimmy Glass who scored for Carlisle in the 94th minuteof the last game of the season to keep them up.Watch it on U tube,it's brilliant!

HOLA4410

This was the famous Jimmy Glass who scored for Carlisle in the 94th minuteof the last game of the season to keep them up.Watch it on U tube,it's brilliant!

And his daughter is fit ? Class.

HOLA4411

"I'd smash it" sounds like the testosterone filled blokish way of saying "she's attractive".

Perhaps the figurative has been confused somewhat with the literal.

I wonder if we'll see enterprising people following the famous and well heeled into night clubs in order to record brash, lecherous remarks.. post them on youtube then the "victim" claiming damages from the mark.

Sounds like a pretty good money spinner....

HOLA4412

It would be interesting to find out why Sky were recording these "segments"...were Keys & Gray constantly saying this sort of thing off-air, and if Sky wanted to get rid of them, this was a way of doing it?

These are good points. If the guys have been saying these things for years and getting away with it then surely their employer is taken to have consented to the bahavior through taking no action?

HOLA4413

Technically he shouldn't have been allowed to play as there was some mistake in the loan paperwork, if I remember rightly.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

These are good points. If the guys have been saying these things for years and getting away with it then surely their employer is taken to have consented to the bahavior through taking no action?

Especially if over all these years there has not been so much as an offical warning ?

Then suddenly this happens, this footage is found from under the settee and one is fired.

Perhaps this is the angle they are moving towards for the unfair dismissal chat ?

Will be interesting if Sky settle out of Court. I reckon they will coz they won't want to end up with this coming out in Court.

HOLA4416

I suppose it would be ok if he asked if they had made love. He asked a question how he phrased it should not matter as it all means the same thing.

In reality more football fans watching that would be offended by some 'making love' chat than the 'smash it' chat :lol:

But hey - as long as a small number of people are offended by it - that is all that matters. Let's not bother with what the majority think. That would be Democracy eh. And we cannot be having that in the UK of today. Can we.

No Comrade !!

HOLA4417

I cannot believe that several of my fellow HPCers here apparently seem to condone this behaviour by Keys and Gray - finding all sorts of excuses and reasons for it (i.e. they've been doing it for years so it must be OK; guys all over the place act like this etc. etc.).

Seems that I am well out of the norm to find them both repulsive and this type of behaviour abnormal.

Very, very strange and quite sad. :(

HOLA4418

In reality more football fans watching that would be offended by some 'making love' chat than the 'smash it' chat :lol:

But hey - as long as a small number of people are offended by it - that is all that matters. Let's not bother with what the majority think. That would be Democracy eh. And we cannot be having that in the UK of today. Can we.

No Comrade !!

And how do you know what the majority or minority think?

HOLA4419

I cannot believe that several of my fellow HPCers here apparently seem to condone this behaviour by Keys and Gray - finding all sorts of excuses and reasons for it (i.e. they've been doing it for years so it must be OK; guys all over the place act like this etc. etc.).

Seems that I am well out of the norm to find them both repulsive and this type of behaviour abnormal.

Well, I'm talking about the view a court will take over it. If they have been saying stuff like this for years and their employer knew and did nothing up until this point then they will be taken to have accepted it and therefore have no case for sacking them. It's irrelevant as to the rights and rongs of what was actually said.

HOLA4420

Personally, I think Keys is pathetic. In fact, I've never heard the term 'smash it' - and now I have, it seems very ofensive to me (IMHO more offensive than 'bang it' for example). And no, I'm not a hermit by any means!

I used to like Keys and Gray but now they seem to be nothing more than a couple of bullies high on their own self-importance and treating everyone around them (particularly women) like dirt.

And I say that as a red-blooded male.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX7noqN6SOI

I thought the 'hanging out of the back of it" comment was more novel.

HOLA4421

It would be interesting to find out why Sky were recording these "segments"...were Keys & Gray constantly saying this sort of thing off-air, and if Sky wanted to get rid of them, this was a way of doing it?

One large cmpany I worked for in the 1990s had the standard internet policy, which was never enforced. However, data was collected and when it came time to ditch people, it was much cheaper to do them for breaching their terms of employment than pay redundancy.

I suspect Sky collected this stuff for just such purposes.

HOLA4422

I cannot believe that several of my fellow HPCers here apparently seem to condone this behaviour by Keys and Gray

I'm not sure it's so much a matter of condoning or condemning.. to me it is exactly the sort of chatter I would expect to hear from time to time from a bunch of male footy fans. Boyish male banter.

I don't think it was their intention to offend.. I'm sure if there had been ladies present (particularly the lady in question) they would have been much more respectful.

They obviously thought they were off camera and just having a bit of a titter.

HOLA4423

Just saying it goes on and it is not a big deal. And let us be honest here - it goes on from birds as well. I don't find it repulsive personally. Maybe a little lame chat and a couple of old blokes being a couple of losers. Maybe a little cringeworthy yes.

Repulsive ? Nah. Not IMO anyway.

And how do you know what the majority or minority think?

I know a LOT of football fans. And I have been in the company of many thousands of football fans over a number of decades.

If you really think most football fans are more offended by 'smash it' chat than 'make love' to it chat ? I doubt you know much about football fans :lol:

One large cmpany I worked for in the 1990s had the standard internet policy, which was never enforced. However, data was collected and when it came time to ditch people, it was much cheaper to do them for breaching their terms of employment than pay redundancy.

I suspect Sky collected this stuff for just such purposes.

Could be onto something.

HOLA4424

Just saying it goes on and it is not a big deal. And let us be honest here - it goes on from birds as well. I don't find it repulsive personally. Maybe a little lame chat and a couple of old blokes being a couple of losers. Maybe a little cringeworthy yes.

Repulsive ? Nah. Not IMO anyway.

I know a LOT of football fans. And I have been in the company of many thousands of football fans over a number of decades.

If you really think most football fans are more offended by 'smash it' chat than 'make love' to it chat ? I doubt you know much about football fans :lol:

Could be onto something.

I must be hanging out with some really weird people because:

1. I'd never heard this 'smash it' phrase until the Keys incident happened.

2. I don't like it at all.

Obviously something is wrong with me. :unsure:

HOLA4425

I must be hanging out with some really weird people because:

1. I'd never heard this 'smash it' phrase until the Keys incident happened.

2. I don't like it at all.

Obviously something is wrong with me. :unsure:

I'll stand with you on this Sherwick, there is a nasty bullying attitude from Keys and Gray that I just don't like and they seemed to be feeding off each other. The clips we have seen are anti-women ones but I am sure other people would have got the treatment.

I have known blokes who are like this down the pub but they have always been friends of friends and afterwards I ask "Will so-and-so be there?" as I want to avoid. I always wonder if they're compensating in some way; if an attractive woman with big tits walks past we all look, but they will always be the one to say "Cor, look at the tits on that" as though they have this need to keep stressing that they're attrcated to women. I would always assume men are attracted to women, no need to keep saying it, we believe you.

It may seem a trivial matter over which to sack somebody but TV is all about image, so I don't blame Sky for using any excuse to drop them like hot bricks as I don't want to see them on again.

Archived