House Price Crash Forum
Dave Beans

Deadline Day Madness

Chelski might regret paying 50m plus wages for Torres. He hasnt played anywhere near his best for more than a year and might or might not temporarily reach those peaks again. He is only worth 50m on the assumption that he will perform at his best consistently for the next 5 seasons and that is not going to happen. There will be no lucrative resale possibilities after 3/4 years also.

Chelski might regret paying 50m plus wages for Torres. He hasnt played anywhere near his best for more than a year and might or might not temporarily reach those peaks again. He is only worth 50m on the assumption that he will perform at his best consistently for the next 5 seasons and that is not going to happen. There will be no lucrative resale possibilities after 3/4 years also.

If I were Chelsea, knowing that Torres wants to go, I would put in a reduced offer. Liverpool would have to take it.

If I were Chelsea, knowing that Torres wants to go, I would put in a reduced offer. Liverpool would have to take it.

He's got a £50m clause in his contract which will be activated if Liverpool don't qualify for the Champs League...In theory they could hold on for as long as they wanted, but they know they have a player who doesn't really want to be there..

I think this is the influence of foreign ownership. Typically there are one or two transfers that set that bar for all the others. In this window it was Darren Bent to Villa for £24m and Dzeko to Man City for £26m. Neither player is worth that kind of money, certainly not Bent, and in both cases the clubs are owned by rich benefactors. Randy Learner is less willing to spend the stupid amounts the arabs have pumped into City but I'm quite sure Villa wouldn't be in a position to spend £24m on Darren Bent if it weren't for their rich American owner. It then makes it very difficult for clubs like Spurs or Arsenal - who have significant resources but still turn a profit and are run both as businesses - to compete in the transfer market both in terms of transfer fees and wages.

For the most part attendances and tv money and sponsorship have held up so far, certainly in the south of England. The only way that I can see sanity being restored at the very top end of the premiership is if the FIFA financial fair play rules really do stop super rich owners spending silly money on transfers and wages. I suspect however, given how corrupt and ineffective FIFA are, that there will be some way for the super rich owner to circumnavigate the rules.

I think this is the influence of foreign ownership. Typically there are one or two transfers that set that bar for all the others. In this window it was Darren Bent to Villa for £24m and Dzeko to Man City for £26m. Neither player is worth that kind of money, certainly not Bent, and in both cases the clubs are owned by rich benefactors. Randy Learner is less willing to spend the stupid amounts the arabs have pumped into City but I'm quite sure Villa wouldn't be in a position to spend £24m on Darren Bent if it weren't for their rich American owner. It then makes it very difficult for clubs like Spurs or Arsenal - who have significant resources but still turn a profit and are run both as businesses - to compete in the transfer market both in terms of transfer fees and wages.

Villa have been reluctant to splash the cash for the last few seasons - that was one reason Martin o Neil left. In the Darren Bent case, Villa are just spending the money they made on the Milner transfer. It leads back to City paying ridiculous transfer fees and even more ridiculous wages - many substitutes sitting there on more than 5M+ per year.

He's got a £50m clause in his contract which will be activated if Liverpool don't qualify for the Champs League...In theory they could hold on for as long as they wanted, but they know they have a player who doesn't really want to be there..

It seems to me that the contracts on this one are irrelevant. No point having a player who doesnt want to play for you. And given the form of Torres, £30million would be a price that LFC should be happy with.

It seems to me that the contracts on this one are irrelevant. No point having a player who doesnt want to play for you. And given the form of Torres, £30million would be a price that LFC should be happy with.

Charlie Adam is worth more than Torres IMO.

With deadline day being tomorrow, we are starting to see ludicrous deals poking their heads... Is this one last hurrah for for the Premiershite?

Tottenham bid £38.5m for Aguero

£50m for Torres

It's the trickle down effect of QE artificially keeping asset prices high. Abramovich has done very well out of the Fed propping up commodities, that then gets stuffed into the pockets of players like Torres and agents like Pini Zahavi to spend on 5k bottle of Cristal.

Recall in 2005 the then CEO of Chelski, Peter Kenyon, said they would break even by 2010 :lol: ......meanwhile back in the real world

'watched the cup highlights last night and couldn't believe Spurs have Pinaar playing for them- he really is bolux. Assou-Ekotto is rubbish too. I thought Spurs were going places until Rednapp's more recent signings (he's not at Portsmouth now).

btw the way I'm no Spurs fan, I'd just like to see more competition at the top of the league.

Up The Blades!

The trouble with buying/selling players is that "agents" are involved.

The trouble with buying/selling houses is......

Answers on a post card please ?

:lol::lol::lol:

Players will always need agents but agents for 99.9% of housing? Do me a favour. Can see estate agents going the same way as bookshops with the inexorable rise of the internet - shame :P

Not once you factor in shirt sales. Apparently Torres has sold more shirts than anyone else in the UK since arriving at the scouse.

Not once you factor in shirt sales. Apparently Torres has sold more shirts than anyone else in the UK since arriving at the scouse.

Although with Adam being hugely influential player for Blackpool, what's he worth to them, if he manages to help keep them up? £80m?

Adam was a £500k buy from rangers where he could hardly get a game

and spent most of his time on loan to St Mirren and Ross County

if he was a horse his value would be calculated in pints of glue

Torres for £50m -the world has gone mental

the EPL is a money laundering operation for the elite criminals

the peoples game hijacked by Murdoch, Abramovich, Sheiks and despots

mind boggling salaries paid to very very avg players

the best players used to get 3-5X the avg wage

ticket prices have exploded and skysports subscriptions have captured the armchair supporter

footballpricecrash bring it on

'watched the cup highlights last night and couldn't believe Spurs have Pinaar playing for them- he really is bolux. Assou-Ekotto is rubbish too. I thought Spurs were going places until Rednapp's more recent signings (he's not at Portsmouth now).

btw the way I'm no Spurs fan, I'd just like to see more competition at the top of the league.

Up The Blades!

I'm a Spurs fan and we played awful yesterday, no doubt about that. Pieenar needs some time to settle but is really no more than a squad player (backup for Bale and Lennon) - but I'd rather him than Bentley or Kranjcar. Assou-Ekotto comes in for some stick from pundits (Hansen et al) but most Spurs fans think he's immense, including me. He has his off days, but for the most part he's a top notch defender. I just love his skill and nonchalant swagger.

Redknapp is a fantastic coach and man manager but I'm not convinced about his dealings in the transfer market. He seems to do well picking up bargains and get the best out of players but seems out of his depth when it comes to scouting for real top class players in foreign leagues.

Edited by monstermunch

Will we be seeing "I'm a proper Charlie" t-shirt ?

Adam was a £500k buy from rangers where he could hardly get a game

and spent most of his time on loan to St Mirren and Ross County

if he was a horse his value would be calculated in pints of glue

Torres for £50m -the world has gone mental

the EPL is a money laundering operation for the elite criminals

the peoples game hijacked by Murdoch, Abramovich, Sheiks and despots

mind boggling salaries paid to very very avg players

the best players used to get 3-5X the avg wage

ticket prices have exploded and skysports subscriptions have captured the armchair supporter

footballpricecrash bring it on

+1

Only the meek will survive (i.e. the debt free).

50m for a player with no resale value, plus an estimated 30m wages over that period. Taking into account that he will probably be injured for about half the time, that is 32m per season or a little under 1 million per match.

Chelski lost 70m in the last year WITHOUT spending big on transfers.

Its just lucky for Abramovich that the oil price keeps going up and up.

50m for a player with no resale value, plus an estimated 30m wages over that period. Taking into account that he will probably be injured for about half the time, that is 32m per season or a little under 1 million per match.

Chelski lost 70m in the last year WITHOUT spending big on transfers.

Its just lucky for Abramovich that the oil price keeps going up and up.

The more money these footballers earn and feel entitled to the better imo! Then the sport will go pop and the fans can take their game back.

Although with Adam being hugely influential player for Blackpool, what's he worth to them, if he manages to help keep them up? £80m?

Isn't it about time that football merchandising, much of which is aimed at children boys, is treated like advertising aimed at children on TV?

Footballers, bankers and big property developers are immune from recession or financial failure.

I'm in my 50's and I reckon I might well live to see the first billion pound footballer.

Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

Isn't it about time that football merchandising, much of which is aimed at children boys, is treated like advertising aimed at children on TV?

Footballers, bankers and big property developers are immune from recession or financial failure.

I'm in my 50's and I reckon I might well live to see the first billion pound footballer.

We've gone from £1m to £80m in thirty years, so anything is possible...

Guest eight

Redknapp is a fantastic coach and man manager but I'm not convinced about his dealings in the transfer market. He seems to do well picking up bargains and get the best out of players but seems out of his depth when it comes to scouting for real top class players in foreign leagues.

I think the sheer number of transfers between clubs presently or formerly managed by Redknapp (sometimes involving the same player more than once) might be worthy of, ahem, closer investigation.

eight

Absolute lunacy yesterday, particularly the Torres deal with all of his injury problems. I wonder what effect the new UEFA wages regulations coming into effect in 2012 will have on the transfer market and player wages. Knowing football, it will likely lead to even more corruption and under the counter payments.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/26/michel-platini-champions-league