House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

6 Tomatoes Morrisons Up 13.6% From 88P To £1

Been shopping in Morrisons today and 6 tomatoes have jumped in price from 88p to £1, which if I've not screwed the maths up is a 13.6% increase in the price.

Clearly well within Mystic Merv's bo11ock inflation fan chart.

Still it all counts towards increasing the UK's GDP figures.

Looks like I'll start getting my tomatoes from the local netto now.

Bought some pre-packed vine tomatoes from Aldi just this morning. 69p for 5 (or 4 if you go for a tray with slightly larger ones in). On offer I think though, usually £1.

And £1 for 4 pints of semi-skimmed milk. That must be a loss-leader.

Been shopping in Morrisons today and 6 tomatoes have jumped in price from 88p to £1, which if I've not screwed the maths up is a 13.6% increase in the price.

Real world inflation is so much higher than the cynically manipulated figures that we are told to believe.

I switched to Netto from Morrisons a long while ago. Shame that Netto is being taken over by Asda later this year.

I just come on here to post my smilar story.

Sainsburys doughnuts 5 pack up to last week cost 60p. Just been to sainsburys and now they are 70p! 16.66% rise in one week!

I'm peeved. If it wasn't for the fact that they are my staple diet and good doughnuts are hard to come by I would have refused to buy.

Hyperinflation is here. I think this should be the official hyperinflation thread.

Yeh but, no but! 6 Tomatoes are still 88p. But the packaging has gone up. So you pay the £1. Inflation can still be 0% as packaging is excluded in Core Inflation! You don't eat plastic. Yeh but, no but!

Bought a packet of those small halogen bulbs today at Robert Dyas. The shelf price was £4.49, the till price was £4.99. When I asked why the difference he said 'it's the VAT increase'. I pointed out that it was way above the 2.5% increase and he heartily agreed that prices across the store had shot up. He showed me one item that had increased 50%, from £40 to £60. He then said that it all worked out though, because 'the increase across the store averages out to 2.5%'. That's one big porky they're telling their customers, although to be fair I think that thelad himself actually believed it.

Bought a packet of those small halogen bulbs today at Robert Dyas. The shelf price was £4.49, the till price was £4.99. When I asked why the difference he said 'it's the VAT increase'. I pointed out that it was way above the 2.5% increase and he heartily agreed that prices across the store had shot up. He showed me one item that had increased 50%, from £40 to £60. He then said that it all worked out though, because 'the increase across the store averages out to 2.5%'. That's one big porky they're telling their customers, although to be fair I think that thelad himself actually believed it.

It's 2.1% not 2.5%

Morrison's annual report

http://www.morrisons.co.uk/Global/Images/Corporate/Annual%20Report/Morrisons_AnRep10.pdf

Their Remuneration Committee has decided to:

maintain Executive Director base salary levels;

increase the maximum annual bonus potential for Executive Directors from 100% of base

salary to 200% of base salary for 2010/11. Bonus potential will also be increased for other

less senior executives. Reflecting the increased bonus potential, the bonus vesting schedule

has been made more stretching;

• introduce bonus deferral, so that 50% of any bonus payable to Executive Directors is deferred

in shares for three years; and

increase the level of Long Term Incentive Plan (LTIP) awards for Executive Directors

(with the exception of the incoming Chief Executive) for 2010/11 from 200% of salary to

240% of salary. The incoming Chief Executive will receive an LTIP award equal to 275% of salary.

These award levels are within the individual limit of 300% of salary contained in the LTIP rules.

As a result of these changes, the Executive Directors’ ongoing total remuneration, with base

salary at current levels and a greater focus on performance-related elements, will be consistent

with the stated remuneration policy in the Summary remuneration report which follows and

will be broadly comparable to the packages provided by the Company’s key competitors.

The Committee considers that this is critical to the Group’s future success and the recruitment

and retention of key individuals.

During the year, the Committee has also had

to deal with the change of Chief Executive. Details

of the termination arrangements for Marc Bolland, and Dalton Philips’ ongoing remuneration

package from appointment on 1 March 2010 (which is consistent with the revised Executive

Director remuneration policy) and share awards required to facilitate his recruitment, are set

out in the detailed Directors’ remuneration report which follows. Following Marc Bolland’s

resignation the Remuneration Committee considered that it was responsible and commercially

appropriate to secure the services of Richard Pennycook and Mark Gunter. The Committee,

therefore, very quickly took certain steps to this end and agreed to an additional LTIP award of

100% of salary to these two individuals, in addition to the 200% of salary award already received

in 2009/10 and within the 300% of salary annual limit contained in the LTIP rules. Within the

limitations imposed by the urgency to communicate the proposals to these individuals, the

Committee consulted with major shareholders who understood the reasons for the increased

LTIP grant and the future increases to incentive pay and who were, in the majority, supportive.

Tomatoes always get dearer during the winter... they're not normally grown in the uK at this time of year and so have to fly in first class in their own seats.

They also taste crap too.

People will need to shop around more to find the deals and stock up whilst things are cheap. (Obviously you can't stock up on fresh veg though)

Edited by SarahBell

Tomatoes always get dearer during the winter... they're not normally grown in the uK at this time of year and so have to fly in first class in their own seats.

People will need to shop around more to find the deals and stock up whilst things are cheap. (Obviously you can't stock up on fresh veg though)

Or they could buy stuff which is in season. More limited yes, but cheaper....

Tesco started advertising their tom's would be on teh vine last week, I saw it as an opportunity to put the price up.

Presumably, since they're sold by weight, you're paying for the green bit as well now !

Everything is going up by 8-10% if not more.

Last week I popped into Sainsbury's to pick up a few breakfasty things, I like their large loaves of Tiger bread (so nice with a good thick spreading of butter on), it had gone up from £1 to £1.20 ... 20% on bread ffs.

Normally I go to Aldi and Lidl - they're great for the basics and the veg in Aldi this week beat the sh1t off Tesco's (courgettes, peppers, onions, sugar snap peas, mangetout) - and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Examples of being ripped off abound - Lidl's shower gel is 79p, I get eczma a lot so have to use sensitive shower gel. Used to buy Sanex which is £2.75 normally. Lidl's have a sensitive one that does the job.... who's getting ripped off! :angry:

More signs of hyperdeflation eh?

How terrible...

no, signs of QE in the commodities market.

where is the rise in credit?

...everything is certainly going up in price, have noticed more things are the cost of £1 just the weight or size differs, inflation is now not only measured in price it is measured in both quantity and quality...a loaf of bread is 800g noticed this week they are now selling not only the large loaf at 800g or the small loaf at 400g but they have a new size 600g that is selling for the same price as the 800g was...cheeky if you ask me.

...last week bought in the market as many small yellow cherry tomatoes as you could fit into a large plastic bag £1 could not eat them all so roasted with garlic and herbs and froze, will make a lovely pasta sauce......with shopping it is best to buy seasonal or buy when you spot a bargain then you will save some money..... ;)

Bought some pre-packed vine tomatoes from Aldi just this morning. 69p for 5 (or 4 if you go for a tray with slightly larger ones in). On offer I think though, usually £1.

And £1 for 4 pints of semi-skimmed milk. That must be a loss-leader.

4 pints in Morrison's is £1.55 but it's 2 for £2 so the same price. just seen some one pick up just one though I've given up pointing thing like that out to people. Morrison's also do a 2litre for £1 which is what I normally buy.

4 pints in Morrison's is £1.55 but it's 2 for £2 so the same price. just seen some one pick up just one though I've given up pointing thing like that out to people. Morrison's also do a 2litre for £1 which is what I normally buy.

Not everyone can get through 2 x 4pt bottles of milk before the use by date. These multiple offers are small householdism

Lidl and Farmfoods do a single 4pt milk for £1 instead of small householdism.

4 x pork chops for £1.74 at Lidl yesterday (50% off) :lol:

they don't taste of anything. Same with their spuds. Nothing at all. Threw some away. We should get used to seasonal variations to our diet again.

though everyone says supermarket's are bad/ harming shops etc..

i still feel, they are the only reason we could still live here..

i feel food is still something which is not that costly when u compare to other services..

my purchase bill (from supermarkets) is just 50% extra than my council bill.. which seems OK

and just 1/4th my house rent !!

PS:

go to tesco's around 9pm (tesco extra)

normally get tomatoes etc. .for 10p..

You know, you're doing it all wrong. These threads are supposed to be subtitled ...more signs of deflation

Go to Costco/Booker/Landmark groups and learn to shop in advance of things (i.e. once/twice a month in bulk) and you can save an absolute fortune, bought a 48 pack of felix catfood today for £8.75 and 24 cans of chopped toms for £5.50.

I even saw an inflatable canoe today for under £300. Wholesale is the retail future IMO

Go to Costco/Booker/Landmark groups and learn to shop in advance of things (i.e. once/twice a month in bulk) and you can save an absolute fortune, bought a 48 pack of felix catfood today for £8.75 and 24 cans of chopped toms for £5.50.

I even saw an inflatable canoe today for under £300. Wholesale is the retail future IMO

hhmmmmmm.....felix and tomatoes....my favourite :lol:

You can freeze milk and believe it or not, becuase the majority is homogenised it does last passed the sell by date provided its stored properly.

Reducing the sell by date does help increase food sales becuase some unthinking people believe its not fit for consumption anymore and throw it away becuase of a potential risk as seen here http://www.netmums.com/food/Know_your_use_by_sell_by_dates.1246/

Most cheese like virtually all food doesnt instantly go off once the sell by date has passed, if anything cheese actually gets better if stored properly, its called extra extra mature. :D

I cannot be bothered freezing milk - it's space wasted. I would rather use my space to freeze something like my pile of more valuable 50% off Lidl pork chops. I agree that sell by dates don't always mean food is inedible but my nose always agrees with the date as far as milk is concerned.

Our cheese rarely gets a chance to reach the sell by date :lol: I think the last lot was another Lidl, 400gm block for £1.79

Was that pound for pound or was it just 6 tomatoes?

I very rarely buy fresh milk now I buy the skimmed UHT milk in the cardboard cartons, makes a very good cup of tea, and works out better value....also the value/smart price or what ever you want to call it orange juice is very good in cartons made from 100% orange juice concentrate, I noticed just before the vat rise people had been buying in bulk....this orange juice is/was very good value and better tasting than many of the branded types, it stores well also, so well stocked up....fruit juice can only go up in price, it has to be imported and is very labour intensive as fruit has to be picked by hand. ;)