House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

guitarman001

Sarah Connor Chronicles

Just finished watching the excellent series as in title... but found out that just like the EXCELLENT Firefly, this series has also been cancelled!?!?

Anybody else seen it? Gutted as it was awesome......

While I'm on the subject, in the extras there were some clips from 'Comic-con' - looks a lot of fun :D Anybody know more?

I used to watch it when it was on TV and loved it.

For me, TSCC was more of a natural and fitting sequel to the original Terminator film than anything that has succeeded it at the cinema (yes, I enjoyed T2 but it never had the same tone as the original despite it being a great movie; the other 2 Terminator films were dire however - yes, even Bale's).

The series had some stunning moments, the ones that spring instantly to mind are: the beautiful hotel pool massacre scene, when the Terminator bodyguard (Cameron) was observed learning ballet by someone who thought her only capable of death, and the intimate personal moments between John Connor and his family members (I'm trying to be spoiler free here.) These subtler moments made a good series great and gave a great balance to some of the more chase-orientated episodes and darker moments of blood and grim horror; and bloody hell weren't those something!! Some brilliant moments there to enjoy which I wouldn't dream of spoiling.

That's not to say the series was perfect. The second series suffered from the same problem as most non-episodic US TV shows of this genre: "what do we do now??". Well, it meandered. I could've done without all the additional female characters they introduced - especially the pregnant landlady and the girlfriends - although I suspect they were being introduced to play a far more important role later; especially the unborn child. Sadly, we'll never know.

I suspect that series 3 was going to have been awesome and would have continued to operate in two time periods (same timeline). I also suspect that the war with the machines was also going to be revealed as not a war between humans and cyborg at all but actually one in which humans were caught in the middle of a civil war between the skeletal Arnie-style Terminators and the... umm... other ones... ;) . That would've been an interesting twist and there were plenty of clues in the second season to indicate as much...

Thanks guitarman. I've not thought about this show since it was cancelled but I've just managed to geek myself into a repeat viewing. The series wasn't perfect but the homages to the original Terminator film and the confidence and imagination it displayed in playing with the format and taking the story and its characters into interesting new directions are more than can be said for the last two run-of-the-mill cinematic sequels.

Highly entertaining and it sadly ended well before it's time. Well worth a viewing if you've never seen it.

I thought this was worth repeating...

I suspect that series 3 was going to have been awesome and would have continued to operate in two time periods (same timeline). I also suspect that the war with the machines was also going to be revealed as not a war between humans and cyborg at all but actually one in which humans were caught in the middle of a civil war between the skeletal Arnie-style Terminators and the... umm... other ones... ;) . That would've been an interesting twist and there were plenty of clues in the second season to indicate as much...

As I say, it's been a while since I've seen it but what do you think, gman? Was that your impression too or am I just talking Garbage...?

Got to agree with you guys. A damn fine series, far better than any/all of the Terminator sequel movies, canned.... Seems like if it's any good, it'll get canned, whereas stuff of much lower quality goes onandonandon....

Fortunately, it's relatively cheap to pick up on DVD, so I can indulge my passion for stony faced leather clad ladies with huge guns to my hearts content.

I used to watch it when it was on TV and loved it.

For me, TSCC was more of a natural and fitting sequel to the original Terminator film than anything that has succeeded it at the cinema (yes, I enjoyed T2 but it never had the same tone as the original despite it being a great movie; the other 2 Terminator films were dire however - yes, even Bale's).

The series had some stunning moments, the ones that spring instantly to mind are: the beautiful hotel pool massacre scene, when the Terminator bodyguard (Cameron) was observed learning ballet by someone who thought her only capable of death, and the intimate personal moments between John Connor and his family members (I'm trying to be spoiler free here.) These subtler moments made a good series great and gave a great balance to some of the more chase-orientated episodes and darker moments of blood and grim horror; and bloody hell weren't those something!! Some brilliant moments there to enjoy which I wouldn't dream of spoiling.

That's not to say the series was perfect. The second series suffered from the same problem as most non-episodic US TV shows of this genre: "what do we do now??". Well, it meandered. I could've done without all the additional female characters they introduced - especially the pregnant landlady and the girlfriends - although I suspect they were being introduced to play a far more important role later; especially the unborn child. Sadly, we'll never know.

Thanks guitarman. I've not thought about this show since it was cancelled but I've just managed to geek myself into a repeat viewing. The series wasn't perfect but the homages to the original Terminator film and the confidence and imagination it displayed in playing with the format and taking the story and its characters into interesting new directions are more than can be said for the last two run-of-the-mill cinematic sequels.

Highly entertaining and it sadly ended well before it's time. Well worth a viewing if you've never seen it.

Wow great post!!

T1 was awesome, without so much CGI the Terminator almost looked 'real', if you get my drift.

T2 was a tad long, but I thought it was also pretty awesome... when Arnie gives the thumbs up as he sinks into the molten lava... the iconic truck/bike chase to 'You Could Be Mine'.... there were a lot of moments thta made you think.

T3 - initially I was disgusted (lol)... but as a simple piece of entertainment it wasn't THAT bad and it's always good seeing a Terminator film..

T4 I actually quite enjoyed! I think Christian Bale is great and this fulfilled my lust to see a Terminator film set in the future. Some compare this to the AWFUL Transformers... but no WAY was it that bad.

This weekend I bought the Terminator Quadrilogy!! Looking forward to watching them all again. I also have TTSC on DVD... there's actually a site dedicated to getting it back on track, have you been on it? Maybe it's the Summer Glau curse that it ended lol...

I agree about some of the great scenes. Series 2 was a KNOCKOUT, though some of it really did drag:

- the episode where Sarah hallucinated and woke up in a sleep clinic

- the introduction of Jesse who REALLY annoyed me with her pouting and manly strides.

The core characters were cast PERFECTLY! I was so surprised to hear Dekker's high-pitched voice in the extras compared to on the series!! I RARELY watch extras, so this is how much I enjoyed this show. Firefly is another show I enjoyed, as well as the more recent Merlin (and the awesome Star Trek lol). Not too keen on many others - any recommendations?

Loved John Henry's relationship with the kid.. and all the moments you mention. The end of series 2 nearly brought a tear to my eye ;)

I just find it all so EPIC! Same with most fictional/sci-fi things derived from the 80s period (G N' R, Van Halen, Evil Dead, Back to the Future etc). Not willing to try out things like 24, True Blood etc as I don't think they look THAT good.....??

Friends of mine never enjoyed it (!) - I think they were more into the whole Arnie action thing...... but for me there was a deeper more thoughtful meaning to it all. There's a rumour they're going to do a direct to DVD film... a 3rd series would be better but one can only hope!

If you haven't seen Firefly, do so NOW.

T2 had (and still has) the most incredible special effect, which changed everything in films for me -> when Robert Patrick goes through the bars but his gun gets stuck. I couldn't believe what I was watching!

Got to agree with you guys. A damn fine series, far better than any/all of the Terminator sequel movies, canned.... Seems like if it's any good, it'll get canned, whereas stuff of much lower quality goes onandonandon....

Fortunately, it's relatively cheap to pick up on DVD, so I can indulge my passion for stony faced leather clad ladies with huge guns to my hearts content.

I wonder why, though. Is it because most people are a bit dumb and watch dross?

I have to go out now but I could sit here and discuss TSCC and other genre shows all afternoon with other intelligent and like-minded fans (unlike with the dipsh!ts you get over on AICN).

Guitarman, I will get back to you with recommendations for other shows that I think you might like to fill that TV void but I will say to give "The 4400" a shot: imagine Heroes but with a lower budget, better stories and more interesting characters. Again, it's not perfect but I think you might enjoy its low-key X-Files come X-Men approach. The opening title sequence and tune is particularly, subtly brilliant. It's also another series that got cancelled (after 4 seasons) the moment Summer Glau joined the cast [waves fist] and, if you're interested, was co-created by and then executive produced by DS9's René Echevarria and Ira Steven Behr. Jeffrey Combs also has a recurring role. It was a very enjoyable show, came before Heroes and was far, far superior. The 4400 is also on my list of shows cancelled before their time (Heroes, on the other hand, is on the list of those that outstayed their welcome, bloated PoS that it was.).

With TSCC I knew I was in for something special after the abomination that appeared in this grim scene from very early in season 1.

Sons of bitches indeed.

I wonder why, though. Is it because most people are a bit dumb and watch dross?

We watched the first series last year and I honestly can't remember much about it; I seem to recall it being pretty much the same thing every week as some new terminator turned up that they had to fight?

gives me a Summer Glau just thinking about killer women.

Surprised none of the BSG reboot fans have been in to pimp that combination of cool wrting, hot leather chicks with big guns

But, as they havent, I'll pimp something else instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3i44m_l-R4

I particularly recommend Aeryn's revenge on her former CO, about 3 30 in. Leather enough for you?

The BSG remake was ok... 1st season was GREAT but it really dragged after a while.

4400 looks good, might check it out. BUT it doesn't end abruptly does it? At least with Terminator and Firefly you knew what was going on, there were films... ??

My brother says 'Legend of the Seeker' is good?

T2 had (and still has) the most incredible special effect, which changed everything in films for me -> when Robert Patrick goes through the bars but his gun gets stuck. I couldn't believe what I was watching!

I prefer the first to the second one, but it's unbelievable to think that T2 is nearly 20 years old...

The BSG remake was ok... 1st season was GREAT but it really dragged after a while.

4400 looks good, might check it out. BUT it doesn't end abruptly does it? At least with Terminator and Firefly you knew what was going on, there were films... ??

My brother says 'Legend of the Seeker' is good?

BSG remake was good. I enjoyed that too. Again, had its faults but on the whole an excellent series.

The 4400: it doesn't end abruptly as I got the impression every season was intentionally written as though it could be the last. So it had a satisfying conclusion but not everything was resolved. I could have watched more. Characters also seemed to come and go each season (and come back), which I suspect was to do with the actors' contractual obligations elsewhere due to the annual will it / won't it be renewed. So it sometimes felt a little disjointed, and it sometimes felt that story lines were dropped or hastily changed to accommodate the cast but on the whole it was a good show. It was budget - CGI effects were used sparingly but always to great effect because of their under-use - so a lot of the "special powers" were ones that didn't require expensive visual effects (the ability to heal / teleportation / control another's behaviour). What it did have is an interesting premise, likeable characters and some good stories. If you liked "Quantum Leap" then you'd like this.

I've never seen "Legend of the Seeker" but I'm sure I'll get around to it. Never watched "Firefly" either but it always comes recommended so I'm sure I will.

I'm currently on season 2 of "The Wire" boxset: not a sci-fi show but still comes highly recommended as does "The Sopranos".

"24" was also an excellent series (with the exceptions of seasons 4 and 6, which I didn't care for much). It was occasionally ludicrous from season 2 onwards but that just added to the charm. Season 1 was absolutely brilliant and if you've never seen later seasons, or don't know how the first season ends, and go in spoiler-free, then you're in for a treat. My sister isn't really one for television and she polished off my season 1 boxset (all 24 episodes) in 6 evenings straight.

Just saw these and thought I'd post in case interested:

Terminator: Special Edition (2 Disc Set) @CDwow £2.49 (deal expires at midnight)

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/terminator-special-edition-2-disc-set-cdwow-2-49-deal-expires-midnight/865190

The 4400 The complete first season (DVD) £3.85 @ the hut

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/4400-complete-first-season-dvd-3-85-hut/865215

So the 4400 is pretty much self-contained? No hanging on after season 4 when it ends? The comments in the links say it ends on a cliffhanger which puts me off a bit.

Thanks for the links!

Ooooooooooohhh! A series I LOVED was Supernatural... the ending was incredible (but now they're making more seasons :(). I LOVED this show..