House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Nick Clegg: No More Government Business Please After 3Pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/liberaldemocrats/8290552/Nick-Clegg-no-more-Government-business-please-after-3pm.html

The Deputy Prime Minister’s office has sent a memo to other Whitehall departments telling them that routine reports and memos will not be put into Mr Clegg’s “red box” after 3pm between Monday and Thursday.

A Labour MP accused Mr Clegg of “putting his feet up” – a claim strongly denied by the officials in the Lib Dem leader’s office.

Normally a minister's box "closes" when he or she leaves the office. Whitehall experts said they had never heard a similar example of a minister packing up so early.

One Labour MP accused Mr Clegg of "putting his feet up" – a claim which was vigorously denied by the Lib Dem leader's office, which stressed that urgent business could still find its way into Mr Clegg's in tray after the deadline.

In recent weeks, Mr Clegg has had to brush aside claims he has been suffering from stress during a bruising political period which has seen him come under fire over student tuition fee increases and poor opinion poll ratings for the Liberal Democrats.

Michael Dugher, the Labour MP who spent eight years as a special adviser to several ministers, said he had never heard of a government member finishing official business so early.

He added: While the rest of Britain is asked to do more for less, and while so many people are losing their jobs or seeing their living standards eroded, Nick Clegg seems to be clocking off after lunch and putting his feet up.

"This is another example of 'do as I say, not as I do' and it shows how arrogant and out of touch this government has become."

A bit of Clegg bashing here, why shouldn't he have some work / life balance and I don't agree that he's simply clocking off, I mean his red box could still be completely full by 3pm. There is only so much information a person can digest, this might be an effective tool for getting the best quality output from yourself. You can't run yourself into the ground 24/7 mentally and physically you won't be able to do it.

I wonder what the reasons are for this leak, are some of the other Ministers jealous that Clegg has put his foot down?

Well, it's the Telegraph which for some reason seems to regularly stick the boot into the LibDems (perhaps to keep their Tory faithful happy).

As for Nick Clegg, that seems like a sensible way of working. I have started having a 4pm cut off point for new work requests myself (otherwise the sheer number of urgent things that magically appear at 5:15pm on a Friday for feedback gets ridiculous, then there'll be another rash of them at 5:45pm). Inevitably, because the work is done on a Friday it is poor quality and so requires lots of work to complete it and sign off.

Believe me there is nothing like being dumped on like that while the perpetrators go home for the weekend content to have cleared their work plate. Thankfully, I'm in the position now where I can refuse unreasonable requests (although doing so doesn't help my future chances of promotion).

The worst case I ever had was a manager who asked at 4pm for an entire project to be completed before he left to see a client the following Monday. 5 of us were in the office until 4am on Friday night/Saturday morning. Needless to say he didn't actually stick around to help. The client then cancelled the Monday morning meeting.

Edited by greencat

The worst case I ever had was a manager who asked at 4pm for an entire project to be completed before he left to see a client the following Monday. 5 of us were in the office until 4am on Friday night/Saturday morning. Needless to say he didn't actually stick around to help. The client then cancelled the Monday morning meeting.

Nice.

I'd have been well impressed.

The worst case I ever had was a manager who asked at 4pm for an entire project to be completed before he left to see a client the following Monday. 5 of us were in the office until 4am on Friday night/Saturday morning.

Did he ask for it in an email?