House Price Crash Forum
exiges

Dormer Windows: Just Say No..

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31008302.html/svr/2708;jsessionid=758D6461C170F6116EABDC2D3861F081

Roof ? Converted.

Double Garage ? Converted.

Reducing house prices in a 100 yard radius.

8826_TDP03140_IMG_00_0000.JPG

8826_TDP03140_IMG_07_0000.JPG

Agreed. Absolutely hideous. Nothing Planning can do. Not a Listed Building. 10% increase permitted. Kids cannot afford to leave home. Granny's nursing home shut down by the Council and fees for private care prohibitive.

The disparity between rich and poor will grow ever wider and the the poor areas will see many more homes turned from being basically ugly and unattractive into eyesores. The richer areas will remain as they are with "in keeping" alterations.

'Twas ever thus.

Unusual that a dormer is allowed on the front. Quite agree that most loft conversion work has little style and it really annoys me that the windows in the new look building are so often misaligned. Mismatching soil pipe colours (gray and black) , mismatching tiles and general poor design leads to a shanty town appearance.

Certainly a lot of lofts cons going on round my way, as no one can affors/wants to move. Stamp duty at 4% stiffles the market.

In some parts of London, this kind of thing is everywhere. It's unusual to see a house without it in some areas. And in a lot of parts of West Yorkshire, the housing stock would simply be unusable without it (as they often convert a 1BR house to a 2BR house).

It has been something going for years though. The Huguenots immigrants often altered attic rooms to add bigger windows for more light.

Agreed. Absolutely hideous. Nothing Planning can do. Not a Listed Building. 10% increase permitted. Kids cannot afford to leave home. Granny's nursing home shut down by the Council and fees for private care prohibitive.

The disparity between rich and poor will grow ever wider and the the poor areas will see many more homes turned from being basically ugly and unattractive into eyesores. The richer areas will remain as they are with "in keeping" alterations.

'Twas ever thus.

Yes, Protect Rural England, perhaps planning rules should be tighter in the UK? :blink:

Edited by the.ciscokid

What the hell is the huge patch of damp on the roof and gable end?

SC

The damp patch is the run off from the flat roof being allowed to just flow down over the roof tiles into the existing gutters below.

If you look properly the damp patch isnt just on the roof either, it is on the exterior wall.

God alone knows how they got away with this.

My parents put a discreet dormer on the front of their bungalow when they converted the loft but the planning nazis made them take it down. It wasnt to my taste but didnt look too bad. Whovere turned a blind eye to this abortion must be a friend of the family or got a fat brown envelope from them.

Edited by richyc

http://www.rightmove...EABDC2D3861F081

Roof ? Converted.

Double Garage ? Converted.

Reducing house prices in a 100 yard radius.

Dormers are quite literally a window into the soul of the UK Housing Market. As mentioned it's a granny annexe, a priced out child annexe or a need more money lodger annexe. They're everywhere I'm afraid.

If it's reducing house prices then it can't be a bad thing surely.

If you're happy living in a conurbation of carbuncles perhaps, but I'd prefer drops without.

If you're happy living in a conurbation of carbuncles perhaps, but I'd prefer drops without.

The problem is bigger than Joe public's carbuncles though, if you'll pardon the expression. If houses weren't kept overpriced by planning law, tax incentives, too big to fail banks and so on, he wouldn't need to modify HIS property in a way which offends your sensibilities.

Edited by the.ciscokid

Listen to yourselves FFS.

Maybe the owner doesn't give 2 shits what it looks like or what other people think of it, which is an attitude I can fully sympathise with.

That house looks absolutely perfect for my needs and I'd live there without a second thought.

Edited by Beggar Thy Children

Maybe the owner doesn't give 2 shits what it looks like or what other people think of it, which is an attitude I can fully sympathise with.

That house looks absolutely perfect for my needs and I'd live there without a second thought.

+1

+1

I wouldn't as it will cook like a fan oven in the summer and be as cold as the moon in the winter and after living in a couple of converted dormers myself I'd live in more or less anything else. I'd have a serious talk to anyone who thought converting the attic was a good move.Will hasten the demise of Nan or give the kids chronic chest problems. Fair play if anyone likes that sort of thing though - go for it.

Edited by AndyAndy

I wouldn't as it will cook like a fan oven in the summer and be as cold as the moon in the winter and after living in a couple of converted dormers myself I'd live in more or less anything else. I'd have a serious talk to anyone who thought converting the attic was a good move.Will hasten the demise of Nan or give the kids chronic chest problems. Fair play if anyone likes that sort of thing though - go for it.

+1

dormers are like conservatories, great in principle but no fecking use. Saharan in the summer and alaskan in the winter.

+1

dormers are like conservatories, great in principle but no fecking use. Saharan in the summer and alaskan in the winter.

You know I live in a rented place with as fancy a conservatory as I've ever come across and only this morning I opened the door to it and remarked to Mrs AndyAndy that I may as well just sit in a chair outside.

All these experiences are good though as I know never to buy a attic converted house and not give an additional penny for the addition of a conservatory.

Edited by AndyAndy

You know I live in a rented place with as fancy a conservatory as I've ever come across and only this morning I opened the door to it and remarked to Mrs AndyAndy that I may as well just sit in a chair outside.

All these experiences are good though as I know never to buy a attic converted house and not give an additional penny for the addition of a conservatory.

Likewise.

Conservatory extra consideration = £0

If I were going to do anything on a house then it would be to spend the extra cash and have a proper extension in the space that a glass box would waste.

Awful, flat roofs just look 5h1t. They should have put in a sloped roof, it would still look out of place but just not as hideous.

Not always.

art%20deco%20house.jpg