House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
getknk

'takeaway' Homes

http://www.bbc.co.uk...h-asia-12315039

People looking for a new house are being told they could save thousands of pounds by buying one that is made in a factory.

A new report says prefabricated homes are very different to those of 60 years ago.

They last longer, buyers can get a mortgage on them and they are 10% cheaper to buy, according to The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.

I thought they should be 60% cheaper !! at 50K

http://www.bbc.co.uk...h-asia-12315039

People looking for a new house are being told they could save thousands of pounds by buying one that is made in a factory.

A new report says prefabricated homes are very different to those of 60 years ago.

They last longer, buyers can get a mortgage on them and they are 10% cheaper to buy, according to The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.

I've had this idea for ages. It is the future.

£30k sounds very expensive. Giver me a bog standard 26m^2 container * 3 with basic conveniences for under £10k and were talking.

Edited by Unemployed Youth

[/size][/font][/color]

The cost of building a house has nothing to do with the cost of buying a house. It is all about land prices. As an example, my parents built a house in 1977. The land was 15% the cost of building the house. In 1995 they built another house, and the land was 30% of building the house. If they were to do the same thing today the land would be 120% the cost of building the actual house.

Houses are relatively cheap. Land is the expensive bit. It is the bit whose value is inflated by easy credit and tight planning restrictions.

The cost of building a house has nothing to do with the cost of buying a house. It is all about land prices. As an example, my parents built a house in 1977. The land was 15% the cost of building the house. In 1995 they built another house, and the land was 30% of building the house. If they were to do the same thing today the land would be 120% the cost of building the actual house.

Houses are relatively cheap. Land is the expensive bit. It is the bit whose value is inflated by easy credit and tight planning restrictions.

With modular housing land is not a problem.

I'll be a nouveau gypsy. Folding mezzanine on the 3rd unit which can rotate 90 degrees to become functional.

Just need a few like minded individuals so the camp is always guarded and bob's your next door neighbour and 100% of your wages are your own and not a landowner's! you have a fully functional and mobile community smile.gif

In the medium to long term, we need to reduce the population, firstly by removing recent immigrants and then by discouraging indigenous people from having more than two children.

In the medium to long term, we need to reduce the population, firstly by removing recent immigrants and then by discouraging indigenous people from having more than two children.

Indigenous people already breeding below replacement level. Hence the need for immigration to drive economic growth. Birth rates have fallen worldwide quite considerably over the past few decades.

The cost of building a house has nothing to do with the cost of buying a house. It is all about land prices.

Exactly. I've found my dream "flat pack" home, but finding a plot to put it on, now there's the trick..

When I've looked at plots "with permission" the land seems to cost as much as a house already built on land that size. hardly worth buying.

There are some pretty nasty building methods and most are to be seen in the "Park Home" business. It is possible to factory manufacture modular build houses pretty cheaply but once you get serious about meeting UK building regs and level 4 or 5 Code for Sustainable Homes, then the price per sq.m will not be very much cheaper. Especially if you build something you might actually want to live in.

There are factories making entire wall sections using a sandwich of two sheets of plywood filled with expanding foam. Cut out the window & door openings, fill with cheap pvc etc, assemble on site, clad or render, dry wall & bingo you have your walls up. Some chip board flooring and a cheap roof and you are done...... well sort of.. there is the plumbing, electrical and heating install.

The problem is that current regulations demand high levels of air tightness ( eco) and these sealed houses just sweat and quickly become moldy inside. Proper attention must be given to air recirculation and heat recovery systems, dew points and thermal efficiencies. Without, these, the house will be quickly become a nightmare.

This is why RICS (?) have stated that maybe only a 10% saving is possible. As for buying a house for £30k, forget it. A two bed house of say 70 sq.m ( and that is a small single story house ok for a couple) will cost about £1000 /m2 to build. You can add to that planning fees, architect/engineer fees, local authority fees, utility connections of maybe 10 - 20 % if you are lucky.

As has been pointed out above, this all is minor compared with the cost of a decent plot !

By the way, the cost of cleaning up old industrial brown field sites, landfill sites etc to a level suitable for housing is very expensive ( soil remediation, hazardous material, waste disposal costs, planning) and you still end up with a house next to the sewage works !

If you want to look at some modern, modular, factory built houses that are well built see www.cloudnine-living.com Not everyone's cup of tea but it gives an indication of what can be done.

Edited by Harold Bishop

As for buying a house for £30k, forget it. A two bed house of say 70 sq.m ( and that is a small single story house ok for a couple) will cost about £1000 /m2 to build. You can add to that planning fees, architect/engineer fees, local authority fees, utility connections of maybe 10 - 20 % if you are lucky.

As has been pointed out above, this all is minor compared with the cost of a decent plot!

£30k is perfectly possible, when building IN VOLUME.

Building a single house is expensive. Building 200 houses at once makes each one cheap.