House Price Crash Forum

Streeview Brings It Down To Earth...

HOLA441

This is a nice enough looking place, and £395k doesn't seem an unreasonable asking price.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31406102.html

You'd want to pick it up for £340k or so, but it is a "superb individually built modern detached house", and let's not overlook the "historic village" that it's set in.

Then you click on streetview, telling the full story including the chavtastic Corsa parked on the pavement.

OK, it's not THAT funny, but I can imagine the frustration of the owner and EA, knowing there's nothing they can do... :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by hedgefunded

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

This is a nice enough looking place, and £395k doesn't seem an unreasonable asking price.

You'd want to pick it up for £340k or so, but it is a "superb individually built modern detached house", and let's not overlook the "historic village" that it's set in.

Then you click on streetview, telling the full story including the chavtastic Corsa parked on the pavement.

OK, it's not THAT funny, but I can imagine the frustration of the owner and EA, knowing there's nothing they can do... :lol::lol::lol:

Is 400k for a house next to the m5 really reasonable?

I'm not trying to be facetious, I genuinely think that is a ludicrous price for what, anywhere else in Europe, would be classed as pretty ordinary.

What does your ordinary "middle class" family earn around there?

HOLA449

Nice trampolines

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Are those council-houses opposite? I'd want to buy the cheapest house in the best road not vice-versa!

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

The Motorway seems a long way away. So would it be a bonus that it is reasonably close? What is the pricing like? Is it good or bad for that area? i.e. are they asking a reasonable price for what it is in the current market?

Well it's a reasonable asking price, and I guess they'd sell for a bit less, or maybe a lot less......

The M5 Junction 23 is less than a mile away, and that does make it very convenient for commuting to Bristol, Taunton or Exeter.

The point I wanted to make is how streetview is totally out of the EA's control, and in this case the first thing you see is a bunch of council houses and a blacked out Corsa on the pavement.

If that house were in a nicer part of the village it would be a fair price, but it's on the main road and it's a busy road too.

Overall I'd say the asking price is a bit high in the current market, but if you picked it up for £350k and enjoyed living in what is a fairly decent sized house you wouldn't go far wrong.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

15020_7COLEY_IMG_07_0000.jpg

I used to live in Coley Hill, Reading in a house just like that one that had been converted into flats.

In fact I think it was the one just to the right of the one for sale.

I was paying £400 per month rent for just one floor of it back in 1992.

Edited by caparn

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I grew up in Puriton from age 4 to 18... It's in easy earshot of the M5, so it's alright as a commuter dormitory for Bilgewater ... sorry, Bridgwater ... and Taunton, or Burnham in the other direction. It's not the nicest though. I can't imagine the average wage in that area is much to shout about. But the Somerset levels are nice, if you like flat countryside, and it's close enough to the Mendips and the Quantocks for those who enjoy a spot of hillwalking.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

With Streetview, Goole cache and the Bee, EAs have a much harder time trying to BS us.

Not that it stops them trying it of course.

Some times even property Bee cannot keep up, as property is taken off the market and put back up with a different EA so you dont know how long a property has been up for sale.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
Streetview, great tool. I've discounted dozens of properties I would otherwise have viewed after seeing their surroundings on Streetview.

I would imagine EAs love streetview. It means that by the time someone requests are viewing, most of the basics have been sorted out. If you don't like bungalows with Astras in front, then you're not going to buy the house. If street view didn't exist, then you'd still work it out on the day, but at a huge cost in terms of everyone's time. When we bought a few years ago, google earth and streetview allowed us to go to the viewing with the right questions, and there was no chance of us walking away in the first minute due to some unforeseen issue.

Edited by rxe