House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Socialhacker.co.uk

Hong Kong Housing World's Most Expensive

I thought this might interest this forum. Bubbles are made to burst - just look to Hong Kong in 1998 - the market dropped 60% and it had nothing to do with the handover back to China but rather the Asian Financial Crises at the time. I regard this as one to follow after watching Britain's Trillion Pound Horror Story on Channel 4 that suggested looking towards Hong Kong for a solution. When this bubble bursts it is going to hurt, and isn't China, and Hong Kong as a gateway, supposed to be carrying the rest of us out of recession in the Western world?

James

"Hong Kong housing world's most expensive - Savills

Jan 28 (Reuters) - Hong Kong housing is the most expensive in the world as negative real interest rates and ample liquidity boost demand while new supply remains tight, said Savills Plc (SVS.L) in a research of four top cities.

Hong Kong is the most expensive centre for every household type, including the global billionaire, property adviser Savills, said in a new Global Cities survey released on Friday.

The territory was 55 percent more expensive than London, with Moscow 7.4 percent higher than the British capital, but New York was 15 percent cheaper than London on current sterling values, it said.

The growth in the price of a CEO's home in Hong Kong had risen 148 percent in the past five years, compared with Moscow's 110 percent rise and London's gain of 47 percent while New York had fallen 7 percent, it added.

Luxury apartment rents in Hong Kong are increasing alongside an influx of expatriates, the adviser said.

Demand from wealthy mainland Chinese and low mortgage rates, since the territory tracks U.S. monetary policy as the Hong Kong dollar is pegged to the U.S. currency, helped lift demand and property prices in Hong Kong.

The Hong Kong government has imposed a slue of measures in the past year trying to rein in house prices, including raising stamp duty on short-term transactions and tightening mortgage restrictions. [iD:nTOE6AI04Z] (Reporting by Alison Leung; Editing by Jon Loades-Carter)"

Available here - http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/01/28/hongkong-property-idUSTOE70R06D20110128

I thought this might interest this forum. Bubbles are made to burst - just look to Hong Kong in 1998 - the market dropped 60% and it had nothing to do with the handover back to China but rather the Asian Financial Crises at the time. I regard this as one to follow after watching Britain's Trillion Pound Horror Story on Channel 4 that suggested looking towards Hong Kong for a solution. When this bubble bursts it is going to hurt, and isn't China, and Hong Kong as a gateway, supposed to be carrying the rest of us out of recession in the Western world?

Oh.. ibank employees that I know are rushing to Hong Kong and the private school there have a very very long queue.

There are lots of issues there now including mainland chinese (affected by their own high inflation) to cross to HK to buy up stuffs (including

baby milk powders).

The printing press by Fed, ECB, BoJ and the Chinese itself is now back firing (on the other news, we have Tunisia, Egypt, Yemen)

Didn't Bubb bet the farm on this a few years ago? Good call, once again.

Heh I've met Bubb, I've seen his pad, 247 security super highrise 50thish floor, Bubb is seriously loaded!

Heh I've met Bubb, I've seen his pad, 247 security super highrise 50thish floor, Bubb is seriously loaded!

Was that in HK?