House Price Crash Forum

So I've found a place to buy, but I have found out the solicitors I was thinking of going with are already being used by the Vendor, is it a good idea to use the same one?

If not, can anyone reccomend one in the South East (M3 corridor)?

Also the fees quoted are £1400 on a £220k house, does that sound fine?

So I've found a place to buy, but I have found out the solicitors I was thinking of going with are already being used by the Vendor, is it a good idea to use the same one?

If not, can anyone reccomend one in the South East (M3 corridor)?

Also the fees quoted are £1400 on a £220k house, does that sound fine?

you cant use the same solicitors as the vendor. they cant act in both your interests if they represent the other party as well. i used these russell cooke solicitors in kingston for two transactions with no problems. if you want a contact there pm. the fees sound prohibitive to me. maybe they have gone up a lot in the last few years. in 2007 i paid about 500 pounds for all searches, document creation etc.

Edited by finallysold

Depending on your circumstances you may find a company of Conveyancers cheaper and more convenient . . We sold our house and used Cunningtons , they have branches throughout the UK and they are licenced . They only do house conveyancing and are much cheaper than a solicitor who does all aspects of legal work . 2 years ago we sold our house for circa 350 000 pounds and paid 400 to Cunningtons . We have now used them twice and cannot fault the service . Please please do not use the same solicitor I say this from personal experience

The only workarouns I can mention is if there are two conveyancing solicitors at the same firm. Then you can both use the same company. We have got round that issue twice this way. Once we used two in the same building. The other time we had to use someone at a different branch 3 miles away.

£1400 sounds a lot, the basic fee should be somewhere round the 400/500 mark, they obviously charge more as the price of the house goes up. Selling is cheaper than buying due to the searchs etc, leashold more than freehold.....ask for a quote including all the serches etc..........then add the stamp duty payment to the nice government.........although I guess your a first time buyer and its under the 250 threshold, bargin!

I used http://www.compareconveyancingquotes.co.uk/ which is an online comparison site (there others to, just ask google or similar)

As a result Im using a firm 250miles away that were far cheaper than all my local firms. They keep in contact via email and phone and I can't fault them.

Their fee was £300 + vat plus disbursements on a 420k purchase

Law society rules bar solicitors within the same firm working for opposite sides. The rules for licenced conveyancers are different and they can and do work on opposite sides. I would recommend you try a different sol and go direct for a quote rather than through an agent who will receive a referral fee on top too.