House Price Crash Forum
easy2012

M.s.webb On Bbc Moneybox

Most savers would be worse off if the stock market and housing market crashed if IRs go up - did she really say that?

What a complete turn-around. I will be cancelling my MW subscription on Monday. I have had seveal years of MW saying that house prices are about to tank but noticed a change in MSW's editorial last year, IMPO, which resulted in the annoucement of the house being bought.

Same script as Gordon Brown. Must save the housing market whatever the cost. The cost of a semi has become some sort of national totem to be defended regardless of whether the rest of the economy and society is disintegrating. We can do without schools, hospitals, industry, and basic decency so long as the cost of a semi detached house in Surrey is not seen to fall. It's like the ravens and the Tower of London.

I wonder, when the final cost becomes known, if any of these people will own up to what they said and did?

Most savers would be worse off if the stock market and housing market crashed if IRs go up - did she really say that?

Yap, on the above iplayer link, 5 minutes in.

What a complete turn-around. I will be cancelling my MW subscription on Monday. I have had seveal years of MW saying that house prices are about to tank but noticed a change in MSW's editorial last year, IMPO, which resulted in the annoucement of the house being bought.

Me too.

To be honest, this story is not a huge issue in itself, but rather a wider issue of talking their book.

Anyway, I've been finding it a bit dull recently.

Blimey, she's changed her tune. Just goes to show that even people whose make their living giving supposedly independent economic advice are entirely driven by their own personal situation. No wonder we're in the mess we're in.

Ha ha, guess which STR bought a fancy Edinburgh townhouse last year?

Due to the very strict standards on financial journalism I'm sure she was forced to declare her interests. tongue.gif

Transcript of MSW:

“We can't really raise interest rates at the moment, our economy is very, very fragile. We're still in a very difficult position with the housing market. If that goes, we really are in trouble, and raising interest rates is the one thing that will absolutely guarantee that the housing market will go, so the longer we can hold off, probably the better. I say to [savers] that it's an extremely unfortunate situation and it's horrible to know that you're losing money in real terms every day. However, if interest rates were to go up too soon, the housing market were to crash and the stock market were to crash, most savers would be significantly worse off than they are now. They have to look at the bigger picture.”

It was another bout of superficial commentary on the economy. Infill much beloved by the media and their pundits. MSW reading from the BoE Handbook, you know the one recently announced by King about no alternative, sympathy for savers, 2% in 2 years and so on.

No mention whether high house prices were a good thing for the general economy and the future of the UK (that is the UK people rather than just the few bankers, the few politicians and the few pundits etc) it was just keep house prices up because that's all the UK has got now and if they fall then oh lor. No reference to FTBers and how old they are on average now etc.

MSW insisting that savers should see the bigger picture :lol: well the bigger picture certainly wasn't being presented on that programme.

Edited by billybong

It was another bout of superficial commentary on the economy. Infill much beloved by the media and their pundits. MSW reading from the BoE Handbook, you know the one recently announced by King about no alternative, sympathy for savers, 2% in 2 years and so on.

No mention whether high house prices were a good thing for the general economy and the future of the UK (that is the UK people rather than just the few bankers, the few politicians and the few pundits etc) it was just keep house prices up because that's all the UK has got now and if they fall then oh lor. No reference to FTBers and how old they are on average now etc.

MSW insisting that savers should see the bigger picture :lol: well the bigger picture certainly wasn't being presented on that programme.

I have always thought MoneyWeek is in the liberal school which dislike central bank manipulation of the economy...

I have always thought MoneyWeek is in the liberal school which dislike central bank manipulation of the economy...

It didn't come across in the radio comments, more like reading from the same Hymn Sheet as they say.

Edited by billybong

She lost her credibility with me when she "lost her belly" and bought last year.

I wish her well, however. She probably wanted to get on with her life and the money side wasn't an issue.

Interesting, but she and her type have absolutely no control over anything and therefore can only spout words.

The housing market will plummet what ever they do with interest rates. The game of the great financial fraud is coming to an end, as with all such games, the bad guys always have a few last gasps of fight in them, but the end game is here.

There actually is no way out.

Transcript of MSW:

“We can't really raise interest rates at the moment, our economy is very, very fragile. We're still in a very difficult position with the housing market. If that goes, we really are in trouble, and raising interest rates is the one thing that will absolutely guarantee that the housing market will go, so the longer we can hold off, probably the better. I say to [savers] that it's an extremely unfortunate situation and it's horrible to know that you're losing money in real terms every day. However, if interest rates were to go up too soon, the housing market were to crash and the stock market were to crash, most savers would be significantly worse off than they are now. They have to look at the bigger picture.”

This woman appears to lack some understanding in her subject. The fact that people pay her subscriptions underscores the mainstream lack of education which might explain the fiscal and industrial degradation in this country over the decade and a half.

Edited by Peppa Pig

Interesting, but she and her type have absolutely no control over anything and therefore can only spout words.

The housing market will plummet what ever they do with interest rates. The game of the great financial fraud is coming to an end, as with all such games, the bad guys always have a few last gasps of fight in them, but the end game is here.

I think that this is the intention behind low interest rates policy; it buoys up the equities market while the policies of not responding to increases in inflation, higher mortgage costs and static wages all act to erode house prices.

Transcript of MSW:

“We can't really raise interest rates at the moment, our economy is very, very fragile. We're still in a very difficult position with the housing market. If that goes, we really are in trouble

When your economy is based on financial services and people selling each other the same houses at ever increasing prices, what do you expect?

I think that this is the intention behind low interest rates policy; it buoys up the equities market while the policies of not responding to increases in inflation, higher mortgage costs and static wages all act to erode house prices.

And herein you have the great debate about equities both in the UK and in the US.

The QE has pumped up shares but what will happen next? The bulls say they have made money since March 2009 and will continue to do so right through till the end of QE2... at which point they suspect QE3 will be announced. They also point to the fact that so far most of the share rises have been driven by QE money being 'lent' to banksters who have bought shares.

The bears, on the other hand, say that any day now QE might be pulled or announced that there will be no more QE... or that interest rates will... Any one enough to bring the DOW crashing... The bears point to the 100%, 200% and even 300% increase in some shares in 18 months whilst pointing at poor sales/revenues and say that a crash is over-due.... S&P having risen for more consequtive days than at any time in its history, etc...

Then you have the paranoia, or caution, of the bears hitting in and claims that the stock market rise is all about the Fed/BOE and Banksters waiting for Joe Public to dive into shares so they can short the shares, pull the rug out and fleece oe Public again. The bulls say - buy the dip and you can't beat the Fed/tape.

I mention all the above because for 2 years now Moneyweek has been firmly in the deflationist camp but it appears to have moved to the inflation camp now - perhaps they have realised that you cannot beat the Fed/tape and that QE will keep on coming - QE3 in May? - in order to drive up shares even higher and higher?

I put this out there that perhaps some of us should be rethinking out strategies? Perhaps we should all be buying into shares? Or perhaps that is what 'they' want us to do?

Edit:

Discuss.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

And herein you have the great debate about equities both in the UK and in the US.

The QE has pumped up shares but what will happen next? The bulls say they have made money since March 2009 and will continue to do so right through till the end of QE2... at which point they suspect QE3 will be announced. They also point to the fact that so far most of the share rises have been driven by QE money being 'lent' to banksters who have bought shares.

The bears, on the other hand, say that any day now QE might be pulled or announced that there will be no more QE... or that interest rates will... Any one enough to bring the DOW crashing... The bears point to the 100%, 200% and even 300% increase in some shares in 18 months whilst pointing at poor sales/revenues and say that a crash is over-due.... S&P having risen for more consequtive days than at any time in its history, etc...

Then you have the paranoia, or caution, of the bears hitting in and claims that the stock market rise is all about the Fed/BOE and Banksters waiting for Joe Public to dive into shares so they can short the shares, pull the rug out and fleece oe Public again. The bulls say - buy the dip and you can't beat the Fed/tape.

I mention all the above because for 2 years now Moneyweek has been firmly in the deflationist camp but it appears to have moved to the inflation camp now - perhaps they have realised that you cannot beat the Fed/tape and that QE will keep on coming - QE3 in May? - in order to drive up shares even higher and higher?

I put this out there that perhaps some of us should be rethinking out strategies? Perhaps we should all be buying into shares? Or perhaps that is what 'they' want us to do?

Edit:

Discuss.

Shares have risen from an oversold position on earnings strength. Moneyweek has given out some very costly advice on equities.

I believe the ftse overshot by 500 points on the way down and is about 500 points too high now.

Well, you are correct in that the great financial fraud is coming to an end, but you have, like so many others, mistaken the identity of the fraud itself. The fraud is the irredeemable money we are being forced to use which has ramified into all aspects of all markets causing widespread disruption, corruption and imbalances in prices. I really would not be holding out any hope of a spectacular comeback regarding this particular regime and I would seek safe havens for your accumulated wealth and future savings, and I would do this at the earliest convenience.

The housing market has already plummetted measured in prices of consumables in the last six years (they have halved more or less) I think we should re name this website as FIATMONEYBULLMARKET.CO.UK because that is apparently the thesis now, having incorrectly speculated on the nominal prices of houses.

Well, you are correct in that the great financial fraud is coming to an end, but you have, like so many others, mistaken the identity of the fraud itself. The fraud is the irredeemable money we are being forced to use which has ramified into all aspects of all markets causing widespread disruption, corruption and imbalances in prices. I really would not be holding out any hope of a spectacular comeback regarding this particular regime and I would seek safe havens for your accumulated wealth and future savings, and I would do this at the earliest convenience.

The housing market has already plummetted measured in prices of consumables in the last six years (they have halved more or less) I think we should re name this website as FIATMONEYBULLMARKET.CO.UK because that is apparently the thesis now, having incorrectly speculated on the nominal prices of houses.

i think you could probably count on one hand the number of people on this site who think Fiat is about to go on a multiyear bull market, everyone else is now strictly scared crapless about inflation

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka