House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
liquid

The Anonymity Of The Web, Is It A Freedom Or A Cur

A new member naively made a post with what, I assume, is her real name. Besides the naivety of her post, was she naïve to post under her own name? I assume she’s not used web forums before (and after her thread, I’ll doubt whether she will use one again), but, it occurs to me, why do we use aliases? What freedom does it give? Some members appear with their real names. I’d be interested to hear why you decided on that.

A new member naively made a post with what, I assume, is her real name.  Besides the naivety of her post, was she naïve to post under her own name?  I assume she’s not used web forums before (and after her thread, I’ll doubt whether she will use one again),

LINK! Please post Link.

Justice Yield Jr.

Surely someone can post under whatever name they wish, 'real' or otherwise...

I agree. However, perhaps for some people, the freedom of being anonymous allows them to take on an alter ego. Thus, when someone walks into a room and introduces themselves, someone in the room says ****** off. Would this happen in real life. Sadly, it appears it would.

I agree.  However, perhaps for some people, the freedom of being anonymous allows them to take on an alter ego.  Thus, when someone walks into a room and introduces themselves, someone in the room says ****** off.  Would this happen in real life.  Sadly, it appears it would.

The poster in question was spamming.

A comparable situation would be if you were sitting in a pub which had a big sign in the window saying 'Soliciting for business in prohibited'. If someone came in and tried to sell you double glazing telling them to ****** off would not be unreasonable.

In defence of said poster, clearly she couldn't read (although I realise that may not be much defence at all?!). Thus, I would assume that first and then respond accordingly. As this notion is alien to some, it would be as follows:

'You may not realise this, but you're not allowed to do that here, and you'll have to leave your wares outside. However, you're welcome to buy me a drink'.

Yeah but, no but I don't care 'bout using my own name,

I even used it when I was getting it off the man who owns

the chip shop, otherwise he wouldn't have given me free

chips for a week, and I could 'ave used Trisha Parsons

name, but I wouldn't cos she's got verrucas in places you

shouldn't get them, but I don't care who knows who I am

when I'm on the web, even if they know I'm on while

I'm on, so there...

we use aliases because we're probably being watched by big bro....and not going out and spending is A SUBVERSIVE ATTITUDE!!!!

the resistance to being seduced into debt-slavery is something that some in authority would not particularly like to see spread...it makes us more difficult to control.

They are probably missing the point....control of our finances is what we want,not control of other people.

the prey in this debt cycle are fair game to us as well as them,but they probably don't like that either.

A new member naively made a post with what, I assume, is her real name.  Besides the naivety of her post, was she naïve to post under her own name?  I assume she’s not used web forums before (and after her thread, I’ll doubt whether she will use one again), but, it occurs to me, why do we use aliases?  What freedom does it give?  Some members appear with their real names.  I’d be interested to hear why you decided on that.

Karen is my real name. It's just not my full name.

:ph34r:

This is a public forum where you can meet and greet complete strangers and discuss matters in common.

If this were to occur in "real life" we would perhaps introduce ourselves by our real names, but nobody would really have the ability to cast up something you said in a moment of madness. No written proof at least.

With webforums it's there for all to see. So I guess it's a (sub?)conscious way to protect ourselves.

That said, I do use my real name. ;)

NDL

I think it's because of big brother too. All my friends know my views in real life, which are the same as posted here.

However when you talk down the pub, or wherever, your conversations are not being fed out on the web for anyone to read and archive to hold against you sometime in the future.

If you are a celeb or a parlimentary politician you are usually rich enough to proect yourself from what you say:

Tory MP: 'I'm sorry i said asylum seekers had bones through their noses at a private function. It was a stupid comment said ironically, and didn't know it would be reported.'

Celeb: 'I'm sorry I told the disabled autograph hunter to f-off. I was high on coke, which has destroyed my life. Give me 100k and I'll give you the low-down'.

The web does make you more anonymity focused. Say you wrote an article in Anarcho-Trotskyist Gazette when you 20 at Uni ranting about the system. Chances are your subervise hot-headed exploits would be long forgotten. But then what if Anarcho-Trotskyist Gazette was a website that had turned up on your boss at Useless Consumer Products Ltd's google search? It could really prejudice you!

The net, in a way, stops people having their voice in a the proper sense, because it can be archived so easily. That hot-headed, silly, ironic, ambigious, unreflective-of-your-character statement could be trawled up - 'Two years ago you said, on embarrassingsite.com that...'

In fact, there's not much to stop anyone writing 'Horatio Cuthbert Bloggs, who lives in Luton, is a liar and a cheat who always looks down girl's blouses' out of sheer malice on web forums.

The enslavement vs. liberation debate about the rise of the net is pretty much 50:50, particularly when it comes to personal privacy.

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

A new member naively made a post with what, I assume, is her real name.  Besides the naivety of her post, was she naïve to post under her own name?  I assume she’s not used web forums before (and after her thread, I’ll doubt whether she will use one again), but, it occurs to me, why do we use aliases?  What freedom does it give?  Some members appear with their real names.  I’d be interested to hear why you decided on that.

If it was a guy that posted it people probably wouldnt of cared what was said to him. Infact i think that its because people seen the post as from a 'niave fairer of the two sexes' daintly lil woman. Well quite honestly ... f*ck that... and if that is the case i would consider that to be proactive sexism, which just sucks.

Of course people will now say something like "no its not because shes a woman, have some respect for your fellow person" .. again f*ck that, i am not aware that this is a free advertising board? I will show respect to people that show it to me and even then only if i think they deserve it.

It was a blatant advert for property ... since when is that acceptable even from a dainty lil woman.

I once used a piece of 'collaberative' software where people used thier real names it was messy. 14 James' and each one completly differnt.

I envy the petulance of the young. That feverish disrespect for civility. **** you is their mantra. Such verve. Such glamour. The way they can take their narcissistic attitude to new heights truly inspires. Their off-spring will of course be a joy to the world. They will be the ones to watch. They'll define the next generation of **** you's.

I'm off to create an alter ego called **** you so that I can feel what it is to be young again.