House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SickofRenting

Global Civil Unrest

Been wandering on recent spates of protests aimed at governments (aren't they always) of Egypt and Tunisia and Yemen - especially those whos president has been in power for a long time.

My question is why now? Why are people protesting simutaneously (more or less)? Is protesting becoming viral?

Now with the internet firmly in place in nearly every corner of the world I think protesters are getting more organised. Could it turn into a runaway global civil unrest? or an unlikely scenario a global civil war?

Thanks

Been wandering on recent spates of protests aimed at governments (aren't they always) of Egypt and Tunisia and Yemen - especially those whos president has been in power for a long time.

My question is why now? Why are people protesting simutaneously (more or less)? Is protesting becoming viral?

Now with the internet firmly in place in nearly every corner of the world I think protesters are getting more organised. Could it turn into a runaway global civil unrest? or an unlikely scenario a global civil war?

Thanks

As I understand it, the Tunisian thing began because some chap was prevented from selling stuff on the street without a licence. So, realising he couldn't earn a living he set himself on fire. That sparked the initial riots which then became a general anti-corruption/nepotism action.

You can push a population into accepting many things but once you prevent them earning a living they will lynch any number of government officials until the anger is spent.

The days where a totalitarian regime could control the public is past. The ability to record video to a mobile device and post it to a global audience is beginning to have an impact.

Dropping a petrol bomb inside an armoured car and posting video of the security forces burning to death inside removes the invincibility factor that a lot of these State intelligence bureaux rely on.

Guest sillybear2

The near hyper-inflation of basic commodities like food and fuel are really starting to bite hard in developing countries, you hear people in the UK complaining so you can appreciate how this plays out with people near absolute poverty. It's just another unintended consequence of QE2 from the Fed, all that hot money has moved into speculating on the food in peoples' mouths.

I think global civil unrest is not only possible, it's the most likely course of events as things stand. The financial sector and government debts cannot be paid, so there will either be default and deflation which hurt the wealthy elites or alternatively bailouts, tax hikes and (hyper)inflation in an attempt to push the costs onto the masses. Given how little influence the masses have even in Western democracies, politicians will go for the latter.

Things will get better eventually, but they will get worse first as the system tries to force the innocent to repay the elite's unpayable debts. It will take angry commoners in the streets to stop this. I fully expect to be one of them.

I think global civil unrest is not only possible, it's the most likely course of events as things stand. The financial sector and government debts cannot be paid, so there will either be default and deflation which hurt the wealthy elites or alternatively bailouts, tax hikes and (hyper)inflation in an attempt to push the costs onto the masses. Given how little influence the masses have even in Western democracies, politicians will go for the latter.

Things will get better eventually, but they will get worse first as the system tries to force the innocent to repay the elite's unpayable debts. It will take angry commoners in the streets to stop this. I fully expect to be one of them.

....you mean none of us commoners overspent and acted with greed and delusion.....?.... :rolleyes:

As I understand it, the Tunisian thing began because some chap was prevented from selling stuff on the street without a licence. So, realising he couldn't earn a living he set himself on fire.

As you do.....

It will take angry commoners in the streets to stop this. I fully expect to be one of them.

Be sure to secure your house well and lock/hide any valuables/food while you are out rioting.

That was no revolution.

It was a bunch of people (not even very many) misbehaving and taking the Law into their own hands.

Mob rule. Very unattractive.

Much smarter to have controlled, steady, organised, peaceful large turnout, behaving well. That will gain the majority support.

Smashing the place up, screaming and shouting, behaving in a threatening manner achieves little.

....you mean none of us commoners overspent and acted with greed and delusion.....?.... :rolleyes:

Well 'Bart' did, he bought an iPad.

It's his fault.

We shall see if it's a revolution or not. But I think you're wrong. Mubarak has been in power for like 30 years; he has had a lot of time to set up defences against this sort of thing.

A quote from the video:

"We shall not be silenced. Whether you're a Christian, whether you're a Muslim, whether you're an Atheist, you will demand your goddam rights. And we will have our rights one way or the other. We will never be silenced!"

Good luck to that man. I feel a George Galloway moment coming on... saluting indefatigability and all that.

It was being claimed as a revolution.

I was claiming it was not.

You now say "we shall see if it is a revolution or not".

You say you think I'm wrong. Maybe.

But at least we both agree the jury is out on this one.

The Arab world has always been unstable certainly over the past 300 years. I feel for them and their frustrations. But they cannot have it both ways. Either they look to the West and adopt "our" values (some shockingly terrible) or they turn "East" and turn to Islam (some shockingly terrible "ideals"). They are at a crossroads. Extreme disparity of wealth. Populations too large. Not enough food. Western money in the hands of too few.

Worrying times for all.

Thanks

It's already happening and has been for a couple of years. It's just that up to now it has been in countries with dark skinned people who didn't control access to key resources. Now it's happenming in countries with dark skinned people that do control access to key resources. So, all of a sudden, our governments and media are interested

Guest UK Debt Slave

That was no revolution.

It was a bunch of people (not even very many) misbehaving and taking the Law into their own hands.

Much smarter to have controlled, steady, organised, peaceful large turnout, behaving well. That will gain the majority support.

Smashing the place up, screaming and shouting, behaving in a threatening manner achieves little.

Quiet desperation is the English way - Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon

Cucumber sandwich anyone?

Thanks

Nothing new about this sort of thing. It has happened in the past long before the internet turned up.

Have a look at the events of 1789, 1830 or 1848 to see how given certain common pre-conditions revolt can spread across a continent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolutions_of_1848

The common feature is that while the intitial spontaneous uprisings initially were often put down easily with force by the ancien regime governments they were the harbingers of fundamental change to come.

At the moment the world including the West is largely governed by equally corrupt latter day Bourbons with the bankers and government placemen fulfilling the role of the old aristocracy screwing money out of the the mass of the population so they can live out their Rococo fantasies in the modern versions of Versaille. From what I can see the sans cullotte have finally decided to take to the streets

BTW the real game changer for the World would be if this wide spread Arab unrest was to move to Saudi Arabia.

Guest sillybear2

That was no revolution.

+1

Zealots are often as ugly and power hungry as the authorities they're protesting against.

My expectation is that some parts of the elite are likely to sacrifice other parts of the elite in order to survive.

In addition these events are likely to create openings at the top for those who now how and when to play their cards.

Putting on my tin foil hat I sometimes wonder whether here in the UK Cameron and Osbourne have been set up as the people to make the pointless sacrifice so that others may benefit (ie they get to do all the dirty work and take all the blame). In fact if I was a member of Britain's aristocracy I would be a tad worried that so many toffs at the top will wind up in undoing all the hard work their class had to put in just to survive after the First World War.

As always keep an eye out for those who benefit from turmoil, unrest, terrorism etc. It is rarely those who are standing on the barricades

Guest sillybear2

My expectation is that some parts of the elite are likely to sacrifice other parts of the elite in order to survive.

In addition these events are likely to create openings at the top for those who now how and when to play their cards.

Putting on my tin foil hat I sometimes wonder whether here in the UK Cameron and Osbourne have been set up as the people to make the pointless sacrifice so that others may benefit (ie they get to do all the dirty work and take all the blame). In fact if I was a member of Britain's aristocracy I would be a tad worried that so many toffs at the top will wind up in undoing all the hard work their class had to put in just to survive after the First World War.

As always keep an eye out for those who benefit from turmoil, unrest, terrorism etc. It is rarely those who are standing on the barricades

Land ownership is pretty immutable, much like the cartel banks, all modern political parties are quite content with the status quo. In fact things are going the opposite way if the forests are anything to go by, it's like a neo-enclosure act. Put it like this, those bank bonuses aren't going to stay in bank shares are they?