House Price Crash Forum
NW11

Great Britain 2011

David Cameron has now set his agenda. Clegg is bending over and submitting, Milliband is is a pansy and has stepped aside. Public Sector will be slashed and the free market and enterprise wibe liberated. Employment laws will now favour the employers, union powers will be curbed, benefits will be capped. This week we learn that 94% of of DLA was fraud as were 94% ofLabour's buy now pay later policies. Living off GB's VISA CARD to be enjoyed by you but paid back by our children and grand children at a higher cost than defence and education costs combined. Cameron had stamped his foot down, declared war on Moronity..

Welcome to Great Britain 2011.

God help us if World Was 3 was suddenly declared upon us.

David Cameron has now set his agenda. Clegg is bending over and submitting, Milliband is is a pansy and has stepped aside. Public Sector will be slashed and the free market and enterprise wibe liberated. Employment laws will now favour the employers, union powers will be curbed, benefits will be capped. This week we learn that 94% of of DLA was fraud as were 94% ofLabour's buy now pay later policies. Living off GB's VISA CARD to be enjoyed by you but paid back by our children and grand children at a higher cost than defence and education costs combined. Cameron had stamped his foot down, declared war on Moronity..

See North Africa for what is coming to Britain's streets. It's started slowly but will build up steam.

Just declare a hair cut on the debt if the choice is between war and paying debt (2/3 Brits, 1/3 Foreigner)..

It was remakable how quickly UK and US managed to retool when forced to. All those human right acts and employment red tapes will

be out of the window in a minute.

OK, that's all well and good, but will I be able to afford even a small terraced house without submitting myself to 25 years of hand-to-mouth debt slavery?

All the so-called advantages that labour brought everyone cost the country a fortune but gave them nothing. At the end of the day, I'd rather my job was less secure and benefits were lower if I shoudl lose it, if, on the reasonable salary I am on, I could afford a half decent ******* house!!!

However, the reality of the Conservatives being more "sensible" is that we get all the pitfalls of labour and none of the benefits.

Seperate investment and retail banking and DO IT NOW. No wait...the Conseratives are just a bunch of self-serving public school ***** looking after their own.... my mistake....

OK, that's all well and good, but will I be able to afford even a small terraced house without submitting myself to 25 years of hand-to-mouth debt slavery?

Not sure. The semi im renting is on the market for £1.3 million. 1/2 a mile down the road and further from the tube station a similar property is one the market at "a realistic, priced to sell" £410K. The difference is the other house owners are desperate to sell and my house owners bought this place 50 years ago and have zero mortgage are not serious sellers but opportunists fishing for the greater fool.

I would like to buy this place as a home for 3x my current income and sign a contract with the government to pay 100% capital gain tax. Neither of these is going to happen,

All the so-called advantages that labour brought everyone cost the country a fortune but gave them nothing. At the end of the day, I'd rather my job was less secure and benefits were lower if I shoudl lose it, if, on the reasonable salary I am on, I could afford a half decent ******* house!!!

What advantages? The dillusions of grandeur, inflated self worth, the confidence to use your home as an ATM and pension pot and overleveraging inflated assets? We have been pretty much rubbish at everything over the last generation and Asian countries and well and truly caught up. America has also fallen by the way side but they at least can mobilise themselves to enterprise and compete. We need to recognise how crap we are and how many sacrifices and hard work we're gonna need to get to where we need to be. One of my former colleagues left her well paid job last year because she had an 'because Im worth it' moment. She has been out of work for almost 6 months, risks losing her 2007 new build flat and spent Christmas working as a check out chick at tesco on a quarter the hourly rate she salaried before. Painful to watch friends and family fall but I can see people who have crashed and been burned in this recession picking themselves up and waking up to the new normal.

However, the reality of the Conservatives being more "sensible" is that we get all the pitfalls of labour and none of the benefits.

Not sure what the pros of Labour were. A lot of people decided to become nurses, students and other worthwhile public sector workers even though their jobs were unsustainable. Now these poor folk who have committed to inflated mortgages and career paths and going to be dumped and will have to start new careers from the bottom and work their way up. Labour are masters of delusion.

Seperate investment and retail banking and DO IT NOW. No wait...the Conseratives are just a bunch of self-serving public school ***** looking after their own.... my mistake....

The Tories readily created the City and would as just as readily destroy it. You think theyre being brutal with the electorate now? Their 'brutality' is indiscriminate and would just as easily turn against the bankers if it was feasible and for the greater good than being forever held to ransom. They would have bought NR, LLOYDS, HBOS, nationalised them and sold them for a profit to China. They offer minimal insulation to market forces to the public & private sector and the electorate.

Dicta-TOR = TOR'Y' :rolleyes:

ROT-ters!

One of my former colleagues left her well paid job last year because she had an 'because Im worth it' moment. She has been out of work for almost 6 months, risks losing her 2007 new build flat and spent Christmas working as a check out chick at tesco on a quarter the hourly rate she salaried before. Painful to watch friends and family fall but I can see people who have crashed and been burned in this recession picking themselves up and waking up to the new normal.

How is leaving your job a 'because I'm worth it' moment?

David Cameron has now set his agenda. Clegg is bending over and submitting, Milliband is is a pansy and has stepped aside. Public Sector will be slashed and the free market and enterprise wibe liberated. Employment laws will now favour the employers, union powers will be curbed, benefits will be capped. This week we learn that 94% of of DLA was fraud as were 94% ofLabour's buy now pay later policies. Living off GB's VISA CARD to be enjoyed by you but paid back by our children and grand children at a higher cost than defence and education costs combined. Cameron had stamped his foot down, declared war on Moronity

Don't be a fanboy all your life. They don't care about you.

The ConDems have pushed forward ZERO policies that will make things easier for small businesses or made the UK any more of a free market economy. Cutting the public sector and making thousands of people jobless, without making conditions easier for any future prospective private sector employers, is stupid.

The government aren't right leaning in an economic sense, they are right leaning in a traditional sense.

E.g. Dumping vocational subjects at school because they aren't maths or english. Or making you get counselling before allowing your divorce to go through, because of a belief that single parents and single people in general, are evil, even though you have no formal research to prove so. Or telling Manchester council that their system that distributes funds is "too complicated" and therefore shrouded in red tape, and they must abandon it (which directly resulted in affluent areas getting more funding than poorer areas).

Don't be a fanboy all your life. They don't care about you.

The ConDems have pushed forward ZERO policies that will make things easier for small businesses or made the UK any more of a free market economy. Cutting the public sector and making thousands of people jobless, without making conditions easier for any future prospective private sector employers, is stupid.

What is your solution?

I'm sure the Tories/Libdems would love to create a million public sector jobs, magically make the private sector more competitive, drum up a record trade surplus and balance all of the books into the deal.

In reality, you can't do what you want. You do what you can.

Edited by libspero

What is your solution?

All policies must be geared toward making the UK more competitive, enterprising and skilled. This would mean it would be necessary to stop farting around with useless policies that are going to make the traditionalists feel nice.

EDIT - just saw the rest of your post:

What is your solution?

I'm sure the Tories/Libdems would love to create a million public sector jobs, magically make the private sector more competitive, drum up a record trade surplus and balance all of the books into the deal.

In reality, you can't do what you want. You do what you can.

I accept your point totally and I know that Money doesn't grow on trees (QE, anyone?).

I'm basically arguing that we need to make conditions for small business easier somehow, e.g. by offering taxbreaks. We need to make it easier for them to hire and fire people, and for the process of employment to be cheaper to take on and administer.

We have to obviously find cuts somewhere else in order to allow for these such tax breaks. I'd love to see the UKs foreign Aid budget looked at, as well as the billions that are shipped off to the EU each year

Edited by Superted187

Cameron has hardly stamped his foot down. First thing he did was give the pensioners a formula that guarantees that the state pension will gradually take a larger and larger share of the national income to pay. Except that share will get much larger very quickly if we have negative growth.

Cutting jobs doesnt help much either. Pruning wages and benefits would yield much higher returns for the taxpayer, just paying people off five times earnings or whatever they do, and then letting them claim SMI whilst on an early public sector pension doesnt do much for the finances.

I am afraid to say that the new captain, after declaring there is an iceberg directly ahead, which we can all see, has jammed the rudder and gone full steam ahead.

I'm basically arguing that we need to make conditions for small business easier somehow, e.g. by offering taxbreaks. We need to make it easier for them to hire and fire people, and for the process of employment to be cheaper to take on and administer.

I think they are trying to make it easier to hire by extending to two years (from 12 months) the length of time in which you can effectively fire someone with no questions asked. This means if you are a small business owner you could expand and take on staff, safe in the knowledge that if things turn out worse than expected you can reverse the decision again relatively cheaply.

We have to obviously find cuts somewhere else in order to allow for these such tax breaks. I'd love to see the UKs foreign Aid budget looked at, as well as the billions that are shipped off to the EU each year

Not many easy places to make cuts.. and a deficit of £150bn per year.

spending_chart_390.gifreceipts_chart_390.gif

I think they are trying to make it easier to hire by extending to two years (from 12 months) the length of time in which you can effectively fire someone with no questions asked. This means if you are a small business owner you could expand and take on staff, safe in the knowledge that if things turn out worse than expected you can reverse the decision again relatively cheaply.

spending_chart_390.gifreceipts_chart_390.gif

Charts show how the "big three" of Income Tax, National Insurance and VAT dominate the revenue raising side of things. Also how changing one of these will cause a knock-on and reduce the other tax income: Income Tax rises, less money available for people to spend so VAT receipts and corporation tax down. Same for National Insurance. VAT up, people spend less or companies absorb the extra cost so corporation tax down. You can only squeeze so much out of people then they change their speding habits. If a tax system is based on "lifestyle" taxes then people will at some paoint change their lifestyle.

Cheers - interesting charts. Two wars won't have helped the defence budget...

The best thing about those charts is the difficulty you will have in taking out £170billion from expenditure without impacting on pensions.

Have a go, and see if you can do it without leaving our nation open to invasion by the Channel Islands?

And remember, the Tories implemented a formula that will guarantee that pensions consume an ever greater proportion of national income as time goes by.

<snip>

The most obvious area to raise additional revenue is on the value of the UK's housing stock.

If we had a market price based, annual property tax of 1.5% (with say 40% going directly to local governments and 60% going to national governments) imposed on the owners of our housing stock, we could raise something like 60bn rather than the 25bn that we currently raise from the value of our housing stock.

In addition to the taxes raised, there are a few other benefits of property taxes :

1. They help make the housing market more liquid as there is a benchmark value (the tax base) which is transparent to buyers and sellers.

2. People don't like paying taxes. They will try to lower the value of their houses for tax purposes but are unlikely to try to raise them.

3. It will help bring stock onto the market as there are "house rich, cash poor" households.

4. The tax is very progressive relative to the current council tax regime where the caps kick in very early.

5. Switching the tax from the occupants to the owners will help bring empty stock back onto the market and would be politically popular.

6. Rising house prices would be seen as less of a good thing as it increases the tax burden that households have to pay.