House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pezerinno

Documentaries

World At War

The Nazis - A Warning from History

Four Hours in My Lai - BBC Everyman documentary about the massacre of a Vietnamese village by US troops

One Day In September - Munich Olympic Games massacre

Nightmail

Cosmos

Connections (1978) by James Burke.

Cosmos (1980) by Carl Sagan

The World at War (1973)

I.O.U.S.A. (2008)

Connections (1978) by James Burke.

Cosmos (1980) by Carl Sagan

The World at War (1973)

I.O.U.S.A. (2008)

Connections was excellent. Why don't they make TV like that anymore?

Connections was excellent. Why don't they make TV like that anymore?

It's a series I've watched many times. Some kind soul has put all the episodes on YouTube (link) along with a good selection of his other TV work.

Of course, there is also this amusing swipe at Mr. B from Not the 9 o'clock News:

The Box that changed Britain. About shipping containers. Fascinating. No - really.

Also a series just been on BBC2 late recently. The Planets IIRC. Repeat I think.

I should declare a VI here, as an academic who has researched and published, for a living, the ways in which programme makers use archived moving image and audio to construct arguments and interpretations. +1 on The World at War; though its predecessor, The Great War, deserves an honourable mention at the very least. It was published very briefly on DVD, is now out of print and secondhand copies go for quite impressive sums on Ebay. I think you can still rent it on Love Film, though. Both were masterpieces of footage interpretation, including some quite clever devices to pull the wool over the viewer's eyes on some finer points. Some others, in no particular order:

Grass (the expedition of which was possibly the inspiration for the original King Kong)

The Edge of the World (clumsy and sentimental in places, but with stunning photography and serving a genuine purpose in commenting on the population decline and sustainablility of rural communities - as someone who lived in the Faroes for six years, it rings a bell with me)

Hospital (the "I'm gonna die, man!" projectile vomiting scene has to be seen to be believed)

The Atomic Cafe - a virtuouso found footage project

The Thin Blue Line - the research for this film overturned a wrongful murder conviction

Taking Liberties - compulsory viewing for all Blair/Brown apologists

I should declare a VI here, as an academic who has researched and published, for a living, the ways in which programme makers use archived moving image and audio to construct arguments and interpretations. +1 on The World at War; though its predecessor, The Great War, deserves an honourable mention at the very least. It was published very briefly on DVD, is now out of print and secondhand copies go for quite impressive sums on Ebay. I think you can still rent it on Love Film, though. Both were masterpieces of footage interpretation, including some quite clever devices to pull the wool over the viewer's eyes on some finer points. Some others, in no particular order:

Grass (the expedition of which was possibly the inspiration for the original King Kong)

The Edge of the World (clumsy and sentimental in places, but with stunning photography and serving a genuine purpose in commenting on the population decline and sustainablility of rural communities - as someone who lived in the Faroes for six years, it rings a bell with me)

Hospital (the "I'm gonna die, man!" projectile vomiting scene has to be seen to be believed)

The Atomic Cafe - a virtuouso found footage project

The Thin Blue Line - the research for this film overturned a wrongful murder conviction

Taking Liberties - compulsory viewing for all Blair/Brown apologists

Taking Liberties & Starsuckers were both directed by Chris Atkins...

Here's a list of documentaries available online...

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/

A cheerful one for you - The Boy Whos Skin Fell Off. Changed my outlook on life, some poor little guy with a marvellous outlook despite a horrible disease. It's on YouTube if you have an hour.

Money as Debt

Money as Debt 2

Watching money as debt, was the very first time that the nature of modern money clicked into place for me.

The cartoon documentary explains in very clear terms the nature of money creation in the modern world. For me, it was the first thing I ever seen that stated 'Bankers create money out of thin air and lend it to the government at interest'. Although 'Money Masters' is an earlier documentary that provides a lot more detail and history, Money as Debt condenses all the need to know fine points of money creation into 45 minutes in a way that is both entertaining and can be easily understood by all.

Since these videos hit the internet and went viral, the concept of "Bankers creating money out of thin air and charging interest on it" has become an almost mainstream concept. It is this fundamental mischief underlying the global economic system which corrupts the entire structure, yet hardly any text or commentary on economics bothers to mention it, even when our present unsustainable economic system is being heavily criticised, the facts of 'money creation' are not highlighted.

Money as Debt

Money as Debt 2

Watching money as debt, was the very first time that the nature of modern money clicked into place for me.

The cartoon documentary explains in very clear terms the nature of money creation in the modern world. For me, it was the first thing I ever seen that stated 'Bankers create money out of thin air and lend it to the government at interest'. Although 'Money Masters' is an earlier documentary that provides a lot more detail and history, Money as Debt condenses all the need to know fine points of money creation into 45 minutes in a way that is both entertaining and can be easily understood by all.

Since these videos hit the internet and went viral, the concept of "Bankers creating money out of thin air and charging interest on it" has become an almost mainstream concept. It is this fundamental mischief underlying the global economic system which corrupts the entire structure, yet hardly any text or commentary on economics bothers to mention it, even when our present unsustainable economic system is being heavily criticised, the facts of 'money creation' are not highlighted.

I was trying to remember the name of these.

They're excellent and I agree it's bizaare how little understood the principles that it describes are.