House Price Crash Forum

Make No Mistake, Tory Economic Policy Is In Trouble

pandora's box

HOLA441

Plan A failed and Mervyn King can't deliver on plan B. The GDP data release for the fourth quarter of 2011 has got the government and its supporters rattled. At PMQs yesterday, George Osborne looked dishevelled and seemed out if it; shocked, presumably, from the shellacking he has been getting from the media -- and Ed Balls -- for his reckless and failing austerity policies. His response that this was all down to the weather is absurd.

New Statesman

Edited by pandora's box

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Guest UK Debt Slave

Plan A failed and Mervyn King can't deliver on plan B. The GDP data release for the fourth quarter of 2011 has got the government and its supporters rattled. At PMQs yesterday, George Osborne looked dishevelled and seemed out if it; shocked, presumably, from the shellacking he has been getting from the media -- and Ed Balls -- for his reckless and failing austerity policies. His response that this was all down to the weather is absurd.

Relax

It's all theatre

Politics is bullzhit, endof and amen

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

It is, but must it always be?

Imagine if someone with genuine vision and humanity came to power and succeeded.

It's not impossible.

This would require one of the niche parties to be elected, and the electorate are too terrified about being labelled as "racist" to vote for one of them.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Yep.

Can't say that I agree that it's the Tories fault though.

This was going to happen whoever was in charge. If it was that moron GB we would have been even deeper in the poo by now.

Dave was a fool to accept the poisoned chalice in the first place, IMHO

tim

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Yep.

Can't say that I agree that it's the Tories fault though.

This was going to happen whoever was in charge. If it was that moron GB we would have been even deeper in the poo by now.

Dave was a fool to accept the poisoned chalice in the first place, IMHO

tim

Wouldn't it be nice if the deficit/surplus built up by one administration is frozen until they come back into power - it would certainly make them behave better wouldn't it. Of course it's an impossiblity to introduce (until at least the slate is zeroed?). I did think about this when the chalice was being handed over - it is totally unfair to be handed over such a mess. I remember ever at the time it was handed over, Labour making glib remarks about the cupboard being bare - and an extra unnecessary splurge being hurriedly undertaken at the last minute just to maximize the damage done. Insidious and underhanded it was. They rely on people's fickle nature and general ignorance.

Of course - if such a system were ever implemented, Labour would start to behave like those rogue traders, who simply go bankrupt and start up under a new name each time <_<

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Of course - if such a system were ever implemented, Labour would start to behave like those rogue traders, who simply go bankrupt and start up under a new name each time <_<

Well they sort of did that anyway; left the economy in tatters in 1979, re-branded themselves as New Labour in 1997 to get in. 2015 we'll see New New Labour.

HOLA4415

"Wouldn't it be nice if the deficit/surplus built up by one administration is frozen until they come back into power - it would certainly make them behave better wouldn't it."

It's a nice idea, but it's the electorate that's to blame. They kept voting for the cash machine whilst ignoring the fact that the massive growing bill was going to have to be paid out of their account. Now that the bill has to be paid they've voted to for a different bank manager and expect that to make a difference.

Edited by tommyweaves

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

This makes me laugh.

It's like watching the captain of the titanic complaining that he doesn't like the music the band are playing as the ship he ploughed into an iceberg begins to sink.

SS Britannia is holed below the water line and will sink, Bailing out won't work and neither can the damage be repaired.

Blaming Osbourne for trying to slow the sinking is quite quite laughable. Spending money we don't have on an economy that can't exist without magic money is doomed. Pretending that it isn't ala Mr Balls doesn't make it less true.

HOLA4418

They kept voting for the cash machine whilst ignoring the fact that the massive growing bill was going to have to be paid out of their account.

In 2010 ONE MILLION CCJs were issued by County Courts and the best job today is a Bailiff. :rolleyes:

Well they sort of did that anyway; left the economy in tatters in 1979

You must start from 1970 with a far deeper analysis of the economy for the whole decade. ;)

HOLA4419

I never liked the torys but feel now they are better than labour I feel very let down by them. But the only thing I know about George Osborne is he thought we should be following the Irish example Look and learn from across the Irish Sea

OK so he doesn't believe in that any more but what dose he believe? his video profile is hardly informative http://www.conservatives.com/People/Members_of_Parliament/Osborne_George.aspx

HOLA4420

Politically wasn't that the point of Kinnock being followed by Blair and the New Labour project.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I think the judgement by the OP is a little harsh,

No one could predict the crisis.

No experts could see it coming.

And if the numbers at present are disturbing, they will be unexpected.

But . . there is no need for alarm, because the projections for 2016 may have to revised, but not until 2018 - and then in 2022 Greece will repay its debt and the Winter Heating Allowance will no longer be paid and then people will not retire until they are 75. Ireland will return to growth in 2056, boosting Northern Ireland and obviously depressed areas like Liverpool. By 2060, tuition fee paying students will owe the country more than it needs in taxes.

So, it will all come right on the night.

The short term is fine because we will sell the New Forest, Dover and Dame Vera Lynn.

Honestly, some people panic over nothing.

HOLA4423
Guest UK Debt Slave

You must start from 1970 with a far deeper analysis of the economy for the whole decade. ;)

We could go back to 1694 to study the origins of this nation's woes

How long is a piece of string

The overriding common denominator is the rich and powerful have always run Britain for themselves, not for the bovine proles.

It's ALWAYS been the same, certainly during my 46 years on this planet.

There are 2 nations in this country

1. The City of London

2. Everywhere else

Basically, the UK is an investment club for powerful financial interests. To hell with everyone else!

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

We could go back to 1694 to study the origins of this nation's woes

How long is a piece of string

The overriding common denominator is the rich and powerful have always run Britain for themselves, not for the bovine proles.

It's ALWAYS been the same, certainly during my 46 years on this planet.

There are 2 nations in this country

1. The City of London

2. Everywhere else

Basically, the UK is an investment club for powerful financial interests. To hell with everyone else!

Spot on, and I would love to read a convincing counterpoint.