House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Super Rich Unaffected As Christies See Biz Double

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/8287252/Christies-auction-house-has-best-year-in-245-year-history.html

Christie's auction house has best year in 245-year history
Christie's has announced record sales for 2010 after the auction house enjoyed the best 12 months in its 245-year history.
Total sales rose more than 50pc to hit £3.3bn last year, as the company retained its position as the world’s largest auction house.

So, who is escaping the "all in it togther" new world of austerity that is seeing linving standards return to the 1920's?

Must be the oil sheiks and banksters.

or just the inevitable process of cash rich people turning paper into something tangible.

Which is precisely what monetary policy in much of the West is trying to encourage people to do.

The flaw in their plan is that people are looking for stores of real value rather than buying what the central banks would consider to be risky assets (houses, factories, businesses, corporate bonds, equities etc).

The flaw in their plan is

the lack of a convincing enemy to rally against, it is all going to end up like iceland (which is good) in a huge biflationary collapse and rebirth (hopefully)

What use is art?

Sure, it's nice to look at an the artist deserves payment!

Another bubble I think! :huh:

have you seen the price of les paul guitars at the mo?

2 years ago i could have bought 140 of em with my deposit, today 14, crikes.

Yes I have Bob, I play myself!

Another madness! :huh:

or just the inevitable process of cash rich people turning paper into something tangible.

...doesn't make them happier or healthier though does it....... ;)

have you seen the price of les paul guitars at the mo?

2 years ago i could have bought 140 of em with my deposit, today 14, crikes.

Generic LPs have risen maybe 10-15% in the last year. The '59s are probably up 20-30%. Peter Green's went for $250k IIRC which may be a record.

Edited by Realistbear

Generic LPs have risen maybe 10-15% in the last year. The '59s are probably up 20-30%. Peter Green's went for $250k IIRC which may be a record.

A new LP "Standard" model is about £1800. And a nice instrument, if rather expensive!

I can't see why I would want an old one when the quality might have been a bit "variable" back in those days!

Me! Well I would want to play it, not stick it in a glass case, as an "investment"! :huh:

So, who is escaping the "all in it togther" new world of austerity that is seeing linving standards return to the 1920's?

Must be the oil sheiks and banksters.

"We're all in it together" was actually Dave mis-reading his notes during the speech.

What was written on the page was "you're all in it together".

Once you have this information, everything else falls into place ;)

check out the new vos custom shop models 4k to 10khttp://www.guitarvillage.co.uk/product-list.asp?manuid=119&catid=3

Those are serious numbers!

A friend of mine bought a '67 goldtop LP, with a "bit of damage" for a tenner in the late 70's! :huh:

tell me about it, ive seen on ebay a 63 sg custom for 17k.

I like SG's. I like the shape! They fit well and you can sit down and play them. Always cheaper that a LP!

Quite honestly I don't care how old it is or who owned it!

Most I ever spent on an instrument is just over £1500 for a hollow body Gretcsh!

And that was nearly new, and my talent did not really justify the price, but shit I like it!

I'm not a great player, but if no music at all comes out of it, then it's just an ornament! ;)