House Price Crash Forum

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, is it correct that conversions of all these empty ships into flats with a sea view would get snapped up in no time?

I remember Hoogstraten looking at prison ship conversions a few yrs back, but this was not container ships .

Nothing new though .. A Hulk (prison ship) www.bl.uk/learning/timeline/item102904.html

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship
  • 4 years later...
23 minutes ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Now that is interesting.

It might be more difficult to keep a lid on inflation than previously thought.

Worse for the UK too, because of the hold ups at customs for accompanied trucks pushing importers towards containers.

Edited by Timm
45 minutes ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Thank you for that very interesting and well explained article.

What a massive increase in freight costs.

As Timm says, could this mean inflation takes off, and a lot more and quicker than we anticipated?

Shipping crisis: I'm being quoted £10,000 for a £1,600 container'    

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55740063

At the other end of the supply chain, Chinese manufacturers and logistics firms say they are equally frustrated.

Johnny Tseng is the owner and director of J&B Clothing Company Ltd., which manufactures garments for some of the UK's most popular fashion sites including Boohoo and Pretty Little Thing.

He's been supplying clothes to British retailers for more than 40 years, but he says his family-run firm won't be able to absorb inflated shipping rates for much longer.

"To be honest I don't even know how we can survive if we carry on shipping things at this kind of cost.....

Hopefully it will stop people getting everything manufacturered with the only consideration being the lowest price of manufacture.

Though obviously this would have a negative effect on inflation (probably very negative)

On 17/01/2021 at 12:24, moonriver said:

Thank you for that very interesting and well explained article.

What a massive increase in freight costs.

As Timm says, could this mean inflation takes off, and a lot more and quicker than we anticipated?

Quite a few respected commentators are saying exactly that for the next year, they say inflation may surprise on the upside

2 hours ago, Si1 said:

Quite a few respected commentators are saying exactly that for the next year, they say inflation may surprise on the upside

Reading this thread scared me, I put an order in with Amazon Fresh they will deliver on Monday and they had no Raspberries no Strawberries and no blackberries in stock, I can see Musk being much richer than Bezos for more than 3 days

2 minutes ago, shlomo said:

Reading this thread scared me, I put an order in with Amazon Fresh they will deliver on Monday and they had no Raspberries no Strawberries and no blackberries in stock, I can see Musk being much richer than Bezos for more than 3 days

Asda delivery for me were out of cucumbers and strawberries. Mother of God!

4 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Asda delivery for me were out of cucumbers and strawberries. Mother of God!

.......and so it starts.

Slowly the supply chain begins to unwind, prices are really starting to go up Homepride 1KG flour used to be £1 now it is £1.50, China provided the world with cheap manufactured goods I can see that also unwinding, which as someone pointed out will increase inflation and thereby causing a property crash

1 minute ago, shlomo said:

.......and so it starts.

Slowly the supply chain begins to unwind, prices are really starting to go up Homepride 1KG flour used to be £1 now it is £1.50, China provided the world with cheap manufactured goods I can see that also unwinding, which as someone pointed out will increase inflation and thereby causing a property crash

I think it's just Brexit and covid at this stage. Could be solved within a few months. I did think inflation is a possibility but I think these anecdotes are not connected to it.

5 hours ago, shlomo said:

.......and so it starts.

Even font sizes are going up too ...

On 5/9/2016 at 6:49 AM, Silverfinger said:

So, is it correct that conversions of all these empty ships into flats with a sea view would get snapped up in no time?

I thought the Home Office were going to buy them alongside cruise ships to hold all those ocoming over in dinghies?

5 hours ago, coypondboy said:

I thought the Home Office were going to buy them alongside cruise ships to hold all those ocoming over in dinghies?

Dinghies? Cut out the middle men, send the cruise ships over to pick them up at source.

15 hours ago, Si1 said:

This might be a blip, but if not, prices will obviously rise, which means consumption will fall. That means further pressure on businesses, whether or not they import. I'm not sure whether this type of inflation would put pressure on interest rates or government spending / borrowing / printing? If so, we get HPC.

For decades, we have got used to deflation in the price of things bought with cash and inflation in the price of things bought with credit. Is Biflation about to tip into reverse? Do we have any idea what to do about that?

6 minutes ago, Timm said:

This might be a blip, but if not, prices will obviously rise, which means consumption will fall. That means further pressure on businesses, whether or not they import. I'm not sure whether this type of inflation would put pressure on interest rates or government spending / borrowing / printing? If so, we get HPC.

For decades, we have got used to deflation in the price of things bought with cash and inflation in the price of things bought with credit. Is Biflation about to tip into reverse? Do we have any idea what to do about that?

Prices are going to shoot up for the next six months, because of supply chain problems, they might start to come down after that or might not depending on the next calamity 

5 minutes ago, shlomo said:

Prices are going to shoot up for the next six months, because of supply chain problems, they might start to come down after that or might not depending on the next calamity 

Yes, and it looks like the policy response will be "wait and see".

https://www.ft.com/content/0ca884ee-cdd1-4ef0-ba27-40ed5691f118

But if it's not a blip, that's a hell of a trap to walk into. How do you combat inflation when asset prices are falling? How do you stave off deflation when food prices are rocketing? 

1) Covid

- supply disruptions (e.g. soya beans prices up)

- China stimulating their economy to counter Covid impact on GDP (iron ore price more than double)

- increase demand for Chinese goods (PPE, electronics etc)

2) Brexit 

- red tape, additional charges, delays

- costs of shipping goods from the EU up

1 hour ago, Timm said:

Yes, and it looks like the policy response will be "wait and see".

https://www.ft.com/content/0ca884ee-cdd1-4ef0-ba27-40ed5691f118

But if it's not a blip, that's a hell of a trap to walk into. How do you combat inflation when asset prices are falling? How do you stave off deflation when food prices are rocketing? 

Is that stagflation? Serious question....