House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

'clock Out If You Want To Talk About The Weather Or Your Babies' Angry Council Tells 'timewasting' Employees

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1351337/Clock-want-talk-weather-babies-angry-council-tells-timewasting-employees.html

From local managers at Carlisle City Council, Cumbria

'In order to ensure maximum output is produced, the working ethos within the office will need to change.

'Staff should be aware of the reason why they are here, which is to work and not to treat the office as a day-to-day holiday camp.

'It is not a requirement for you not to talk to your fellow colleagues but you should ensure that non-work conversations are kept to a minimum.'

The e-mail lists examples of 'non-work' subjects, including 'conversations about holidays, babies and pets.'

The e-mail also warns against social-networking, sport or fashion websites, looking at photographs and posting adverts on for-sale or wanted websites.

'Staff should log into systems first thing and not "catch up on gossip".'

'Smokers are required to clock-out when they want a cigarette. Surely it is not unreasonable to expect you to clock-out if you wish to have a 10-minute conversation with a colleague about the weather?

'The way we have worked previously cannot be sustained in the current economic climate and we must all change our ways.'

I bet this has done wonders for morale, the manages who sent it haven't been backed, the staff will now hate them and not trust them productivity I bet is through the floor. A happy team is going to be more productive than an unhappy one.

Still some of them will be able to do all the gossiping they can once the redundancies happen. :ph34r:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1351337/Clock-want-talk-weather-babies-angry-council-tells-timewasting-employees.html

From local managers at Carlisle City Council, Cumbria

I bet this has done wonders for morale, the manages who sent it haven't been backed, the staff will now hate them and not trust them productivity I bet is through the floor. A happy team is going to be more productive than an unhappy one.

Still some of them will be able to do all the gossiping they can once the redundancies happen. :ph34r:

I don't like the way that email has been written. What's with the double negative in the 3rd paragraph?

Whereas the Chief Exec is made "redundant" and creams off half a million quid in bonuses and other payments...then goes and instantly finds another similar job in the public sector...

Whereas the Chief Exec is made "redundant" and creams off half a million quid in bonuses and other payments...then goes and instantly finds another similar job in the public sector...

A personal anecdote from a civil service department (not council or public sector) where someone I know works (maybe in the area of law!). There have been talks about potential voluntary redunancies (but not forced redundancy). About 20 of 55 have already told the managers that they are willing to take voluntary redunancy, even before such redundancy packages have even been offered! As in, nothing has been offered and they don't even know what a redundancy would be in money terms. Imagine the numbers when redundancy is offered, it will probably increase even more.

That's quite a strong indicator of the complete lack of morale in this specific department. I can't go into more detail I'm afraid. I don't know if the same can be said for all public sector/civil service departments as this is full of lawyers.

I haven't got a problem with it, I need to concentrate when I work and the last thing I want to overhear is women (usually) prattling on about the minutiae of their lives.

I worked at a company where one room was designated a "silent room", and you had to leave the room to talk. I wanted to be transferred there :(

They don't actually re-print the memo, so its difficult to comment. But since its The Daily Mail, I suspect its really a non-story. We were once told by our boss in a weekly staff meeting that we should try and do our number twos at home rather than in work time, which didn't go down particularly well.

About time too. I worked in a Pharmaceutical Company and most employees spent about 20% of their working time on the internet doing private business. E mails, e Bay, sports, booking holidays, forums etc etc

Ban all private use of the internet at work and productivity would rise dramatically.

They don't actually re-print the memo, so its difficult to comment. But since its The Daily Mail, I suspect its really a non-story. We were once told by our boss in a weekly staff meeting that we should try and do our number twos at home rather than in work time, which didn't go down particularly well.

What's quoted is the memo.

A personal anecdote from a civil service department (not council or public sector) where someone I know works (maybe in the area of law!). There have been talks about potential voluntary redunancies (but not forced redundancy). About 20 of 55 have already told the managers that they are willing to take voluntary redunancy, even before such redundancy packages have even been offered! As in, nothing has been offered and they don't even know what a redundancy would be in money terms. Imagine the numbers when redundancy is offered, it will probably increase even more.

That's quite a strong indicator of the complete lack of morale in this specific department. I can't go into more detail I'm afraid. I don't know if the same can be said for all public sector/civil service departments as this is full of lawyers.

I thought redundency was usually when a business need was gone.

in this case, we have an insolvent employer....redundancy isnt really whats happening.

I worked at a company where one room was designated a "silent room", and you had to leave the room to talk. I wanted to be transferred there :(

That sounds like bliss.

Ban all private use of the internet at work and productivity would rise dramatically.

Unfortunately, there's no practical way to do that.

The companies who sell software that claims to filter non-work related websites are snake-oil merchants IMO.

For example, they blanket-ban all forums. Which is nice, except that for geeks, tech forums are nowadays a better source of info than the manuals that come with the software. So we are less productive :angry:

About time too. I worked in a Pharmaceutical Company and most employees spent about 20% of their working time on the internet doing private business. E mails, e Bay, sports, booking holidays, forums etc etc

Obviously avid reading of HPC in work hours is clearly 'business' and so allowed?

Surely balance in all things?

No one wants to work in an office where all conversations/internet is banned, and nobody can work in an office where everybody prattles and surfs all day.

The solution is probably to say, as long as the work gets gone, you can do what ever you like. If everybody still has time to spend most of the day buggering about then they obviously need more work (or less staff).

In our office we're quite lucky. We have almost unrestricted access and provided nobody takes the piss a blind eye is usually turned.

Nothing more than a sign of utterly incompetent management.

If work is getting done, this will only serve to reduce morale. If work isn't getting done, then it's up to managers to sort it out with individual employees.

Did you post that from work? :)

Surely balance in all things?

No one wants to work in an office where all conversations/internet is banned, and nobody can work in an office where everybody prattles and surfs all day.

The solution is probably to say, as long as the work gets gone, you can do what ever you like. If everybody still has time to spend most of the day buggering about then they obviously need more work (or less staff).

In our office we're quite lucky. We have almost unrestricted access and provided nobody takes the piss a blind eye is usually turned.

That's the approach I would have. As long as what needs to get done gets done what's the problem. There is only so much people can do before they burn out.

I haven't got a problem with it, I need to concentrate when I work and the last thing I want to overhear is women (usually) prattling on about the minutiae of their lives.

I once worked in a room like that...no windows and only artificial light....it could have been +40% or -10% outside I wouldn't have had a clue.......I might as well have been working in solitary confinement it felt like it. ;)

I work in an estate agents and one of the guys there is always looking at a message board about the house price crash! How he ever gets any work done is beyond me :lol:

One of my systems can block non-work related if required but it logs everthing including how long they spend on the website amongst logging other activities including phone calls and numbers to correlate which customers are more hassle than they are worth.

What I'll be suggesting to business is they change their company policy, banning non-work related sites as new sites will always pop up and you cant waste time blocking sites. Better to monitor and act on the evidence imo.

Better still, log how much time they spend dicking around on forums/facebook etc. then add it to the time they have to work to before clocking off.

You'll be amazed how little "surfing" would happen