House Price Crash Forum
wtw2

James Caan Sued By Dragons Den Contestant

Less than three weeks after I revealed that Dragons’ Den star James Caan has quit the BBC show amid a bitter row with fellow tycoon Duncan Bannatyne, I learn of another possible reason for his exit — he is being sued for defamation by one of the show’s most successful contestants.

Single mother Sharon Wright, 40, won an £80,000 investment for her company Talpa Products after she gave a pitch to the Dragons in 2009. Her idea was ‘MagnaMole’ — a plastic rod which threads cables safely through cavity walls.

But now Sharon, who left school with just two O-levels, has engaged lawyer Dean Dunham — whose ­clients also include several ­Premier League footballers — to pursue a High Court action against Caan.

Sharon came away from the Dragons’ ‘lair’ with Bannatyne, 61, and Caan, 50, as investors after they offered £80,000 for a 22.5 per cent stake in her company.

But the ‘expert help’ she was expecting never materialised. The investment turned out to be a loan she would have to pay back and, she claims, the contract drawn up by Caan’s lawyers meant that, in effect, they had bought nearly a quarter of her company for £29.

Sharon also claims she was asked to reduce her salary from £50,000 to £12,000, while Dunham points out that the two Dragons’ demands meant that one of them would become chairman of her firm.

At the same time, Sharon’s health began to suffer. She says: ‘I felt absolutely mentally, physically and emotionally exhausted.’

Eventually, Dunham organised a termination of the contract with the Dragons’ legal teams. Shortly afterwards, Sharon went into ­hospital for three weeks having suffered a nervous breakdown.

Dunham now confirms he has just issued a High Court writ demanding unspecified damages from Caan for defamation, but precisely what Caan is alleged to have said of his client is unclear.

Says the lawyer: ‘I can’t comment at present. The case is ongoing. The damages we are asking for have yet to be assessed.’

Caan could not be reached to comment last night.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1350182/Ex-Dragon-James-Caan-sued-contestant.html#ixzz1CL7EJcCW

Sharon came away from the Dragons’ ‘lair’ with Bannatyne, 61, and Caan, 50, as investors after they offered £80,000 for a 22.5 per cent stake in her company.

But the ‘expert help’ she was expecting never materialised. The investment turned out to be a loan she would have to pay back and, she claims, the contract drawn up by Caan’s lawyers meant that, in effect, they had bought nearly a quarter of her company for £29.

:o

Let's face it, Dragons Den is more about massaging the egos of the Dragons than funding innovative ideas.

The way they get pissy with some of the contestants and the 'how dare you waste my time' attitude show how far their heads appear to be up their own arses sometimes.

Andy

You don't become rich by being nice.

Or, put another way, when somebody says "I made my furtune through blood and sweat", ask them

"Whose?"

Let's face it, Dragons Den is more about massaging the egos of the Dragons than funding innovative ideas.

The way they get pissy with some of the contestants and the 'how dare you waste my time' attitude show how far their heads appear to be up their own arses sometimes.

Andy

"It's telly, darling."

Andy

Peter Jones is bloody everywhere..I'm sure he's in it to massage his own ego...I can't believe he did those moneysupermaket ads just for the money...

Andy

It's ALL higher degrees Masonic Puppetry from this >>>

life of Serf or Servanus, (life of 'a' Serf!)

associated with Culross and the culdees of Loch Leven, Scotland

Bannatine 'plays' the 'Bitter' Man - St 'Serf' derived from Gaelic 'serb' meaning ‘bitter’

(Burton BASS TRI-Angle Mercians)

Hopping mad!

Bannatine 'plays' the 'Bitter' Man - St 'Serf' derived from Gaelic 'serb' meaning ‘bitter’

Hopping mad!

What????

p.s. that's the Erranta we know and love - you've been posting far too sensibly of late :)

Hopping mad!

How I wish I could understand some of your posts....I am sure there must be a message in there somewhere. ;)

I have a big problem with the "independent" BBC giving these people an open mic to promote themselves and their products.

Where would Reggae Reggae sauce be without it ?

Rather than the "Dragons" getting a share, I reckon us licence fee payers get a share.

What????

p.s. that's the Erranta we know and love - you've been posting far too sensibly of late :)

Evan Davis - openly Gay (St Serf - Servanus)

Philosophy, Politics and Economics at St John's College, Oxford from 1981 to 1984, before obtaining an MPA at the Kennedy School of Government at Harv-ard University.

At the time when the Saint was in the cell at Dunning, it was told him that a dragon great and terrible and very loathesome, whose look no mortal could endure, had come into his city. The Saint went out to meet it, and taking his staff in his right hand, fought with the dragon in a certain valley and slew it.

From that day that valley is called the Dragon's Den.

After these things there came to Blessed Servanus from the Alps three blind men and three lame men and three deaf men, who had been told that if they came to Blessed Servanus in Scotland, they would be healed. Therefore when they came they addressed the holy man, saluting him, and revealed to him the reason of their great labour and journey, and earnestly besought him to cure them of their infirmities. But the holy man, fearing that they said these things for the purpose of tempting him, spoke to them saying: "Men, brethren, think you I am God, or do you tempt me beyond what you see in me when you ask this great thing from me that I should heal you?" But they, prostrating themselves at his feet and bursting into tears, said with an oath: "No, lord father, no; but we believe that thy prayers and petitions avail much with God, and that we can obtain health through thee from the great Creator."

Blessed Servanus, therefore, hearing their faith, blessed a certain fountain, and made them wash in it three times. And they, coming out thence, were made sound through the merit of the holy man. And thus the most holy Servanus gave sight to the blind, the power of walking to the lame, and hearing to the deaf. To these and to many others suffering divers kinds of diseases, he, through the power of God, gave and furnished health. Afterwards this Saint, beloved brethren, was assailed by a grievous infirmity, and was held down by the virulence of fever, and called all his brethren and announced to them that the day of his dissolution was near.

Edited by erranta

How I wish I could understand some of your posts....I am sure there must be a message in there somewhere. ;)

dissolution

Peter Jones is bloody everywhere..I'm sure he's in it to massage his own ego...I can't believe he did those moneysupermaket ads just for the money...

He's looking like a twerp appearing on so many shows. After all, isn't he supposed to be making a fortune from his own business? The only reason for so many appearances is surely to "big himself up". I suspect he's one of those successful characters who are nice in public, but treat their staff like dirt <_<

he means doug the jock is a grumpy miserable old c_nt

I'd like to see potential dragons bidding for a seat on the show. As it is, your licence fee is both paying the dragons and paying researchers to find business propositions for them to take advantage of. Their contacts and business acumen is somewhat less valuable than their weekly telly slot.

If the Illuminati spend so much time incorporating in-jokes, cryptic comments and hidden signs into absolutely everything they do, it's a wonder they've got any time left to run the world.

Or do they outsource it?

I'd like to see potential dragons bidding for a seat on the show. As it is, your licence fee is both paying the dragons and paying researchers to find business propositions for them to take advantage of. Their contacts and business acumen is somewhat less valuable than their weekly telly slot.

They could say "ok, you can be on the programme, but you have to contribute £100k to Children In Need" or something...and make them pay this for each series..

It's a pittance to them...

Edited by Dave Beans