House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vman7

Unhelpful Estate Agents

Ok so i am having a quiet day in work so i phoned an estate agent regarding an aprtment for rent. I dont need to rent an aprtment till August but i am just testing the water to see if there is negotiation around rental prices.

MOD EDIT LINK REMOVED

This is how the convo went :

Me - I asked about parking spaces

EA - i think there is 2 but not sure, i couldnt tell you - How is this helpful????

Me- What about furniture

EA - this is optional

Me - i need furnished

EA - that will be extra

Me - how much

EA - Im not sure - How is the helpful??

Me - what is furniture like

EA - that is up to landlord but im sure it will be alright

Me - any negotaition around price

EA - no - he said nothing else, just no

Me - none at all?

EA - we have had a lot of interest so it should go for that price

Me - but no one has taken it yet so if i put an offer of £530 now you wont take it

EA - no

Why are people paying these estate agents when they dont even know anything about the rental property. He was very rude and blunt, alomost like he didnt care if it was rented or not. I would like to know if the landlord knows about his "i dont give a cr4p" attitude about his property. How does he know that the landlord wouldnt take £530 without asking him? I am living in dublin and everyone here uses daft.ie which completly cuts out the EA for rentals. this way u talk directly with landlord and negotiate rent price. why is this not happening up here?

If i could be bothered i would set up a similar website and get rid of these lazy, cocky gits out!!

Ok so i am having a quiet day in work so i phoned an estate agent regarding an aprtment for rent. I dont need to rent an aprtment till August but i am just testing the water to see if there is negotiation around rental prices.

EA - i think there is 2 but not sure, i couldnt tell you - How is this helpful????

Me- What about furniture

EA - this is optional

Me - i need furnished

EA - that will be extra

Me - how much

Me - none at all?

Me - but no one has taken it yet so if i put an offer of £530 now you wont take it

EA - no

Why are people paying these estate agents when they dont even know anything about the rental property. He was very rude and blunt, alomost like he didnt care if it was rented or not. I would like to know if the landlord knows about his "i dont give a cr4p" attitude about his property. How does he know that the landlord wouldnt take £530 without asking him? I am living in dublin and everyone here uses daft.ie which completly cuts out the EA for rentals. this way u talk directly with landlord and negotiate rent price. why is this not happening up here?

If i could be bothered i would set up a similar website and get rid of these lazy, cocky gits out!!

They are all the same its in there breeding :)

Me- What about furniture

EA - this is optional

Me - i need furnished

EA - that will be extra

Me - how much

Me - none at all?

EA - no

Maybe if you spent less time being a time waster and looked on propertynews (for the stupid people scroll down to the bottom of the page on propertynews), you would see you can advertise your own property for rent for £25.

http://www.propertynews.com/member/advert_type.php?adRegion=NI

How ever make sure you comply with the property misdescriptions act and your tenant gets all the documents in relation to The Private Tenancy Order.

Some smart tenant with to much free time on their hand may report you to your local council and have you fined up to £2500, good luck.

I take it that was you i was speaking to S S ;-)

Look this doesnt deflect from the fact that EA's think they are something special. If i owned that property i would be livid at the way he was getting on. He is there to persuade me to at least come down and look at the place (which he never once mentioned) and then talk financials but it seemed like he was to busy ( prob looking for a new job) to even deal with me and had no interest in letting this property

I take it that was you i was speaking to S S ;-)

Look this doesnt deflect from the fact that EA's think they are something special. If i owned that property i would be livid at the way he was getting on. He is there to persuade me to at least come down and look at the place (which he never once mentioned) and then talk financials but it seemed like he was to busy ( prob looking for a new job) to even deal with me and had no interest in letting this property

I'm afraid you didn't speak to me.

The fact is, the EA did his job. He sussed out you are a time waster fishing for information about a property you have no intention of renting.

If the guy had said the landlord may take your openning offer and organise you furniture, you would be on here giving us your story of how you haggled a rent reduction and some furniture on a property you don't even want to rent.

If I owned this property I would be more than happy with how the EA handled your enquiry. he did exactly what I would want him to do.

You are one of the main reasons why landlords use EA's.

S S i find it very difficult to see how you think he did his job? how does he know i was a time waster? i asked him all the ususal questions that i have asked anywhere that i have rented. Unless you tapped my phone (which seems to be popular these days) you dont know the full extent of the conversation and you have no idea how rude he was.

How can he have sussed out i was fishing after one sentence of car parking facilities!?!?

if you owned this property you would be happy? how could you be, the EA showed no iniative of renting it out and did not have a clue about the property.

you must be an EA....

Me- What about furniture

EA - this is optional

Me - i need furnished

EA - that will be extra

Me - how much

Me - none at all?

EA - no

You are are a renter. To him you are probably scum. I have encountered clowns like him before when i was looking for my current rental place. Luckily i picked up the paper and found my own place to rent.

S S i find it very difficult to see how you think he did his job? how does he know i was a time waster? i asked him all the ususal questions that i have asked anywhere that i have rented. Unless you tapped my phone (which seems to be popular these days) you dont know the full extent of the conversation and you have no idea how rude he was.

How can he have sussed out i was fishing after one sentence of car parking facilities!?!?

if you owned this property you would be happy? how could you be, the EA showed no iniative of renting it out and did not have a clue about the property.

you must be an EA....

Because an EA didn't reduce the price of a property he's renting for someone else, never mind the fact you hadn't even viewed it. Doesn't mean I'm an EA.

It might have been your first question about a car parking space that set his radar off. Who cares about the inside of the house or what it offers. Maybe your first questions should have been "is the property still available? Can I arrange a viewing?" Oh no dunder head jumps in with "how many car parking spaces are there? classic :D

Your simply a time waster annoyed at a sales person (I use sales person loosely) because he didn't try to sell you something you didn't want :rolleyes:

In this instance the EA filtered out one more time waster. One of the main reasons landlords use EA's

Well done EA keep up the good work.

He might have thought that you were not serious, but what a pathetic way for a salesman to behave.

Could not be bothered, did not try to engage you or ask you any further questions to see if you were serious about renting.

S S : not so much " EA filtered out one more time waster" but rather EA could not be bothered.

I wonder how clever all these EA's will feel when they are propping up the dole queue every week only to be asked by some smug spotty work experience kid 'what they have done to get a job this week' :lol:

so i posted this last week saying how unhelpful the estate agent was. This was originally up for £575pm and when i asked the estate agent was there any negotiation around the price, he siad no and that there were loads of people interested. I said to him i would be interested if they would lower it to £550 and he said no. well i just go on to propertypal and low and behold its now priced at £525!!

MOD EDIT LINK REMOVED

The estate agent could have had this rented out last week and for £25 more. i would love to know who the landlord is and mention this to him, better yet i would love it if he read this post!!

I viewed a house over a week ago. So far the EA has not bothered to contact me to ask me how interested I am, whether I am going to put in a an offer, etc.

Staggering - I wonder what the house sellers are thinking and I wonder why they are paying the EA fees? For what?

I'm afraid you didn't speak to me.

The fact is, the EA did his job. He sussed out you are a time waster fishing for information about a property you have no intention of renting.

If the guy had said the landlord may take your openning offer and organise you furniture, you would be on here giving us your story of how you haggled a rent reduction and some furniture on a property you don't even want to rent.

If I owned this property I would be more than happy with how the EA handled your enquiry. he did exactly what I would want him to do.

You are one of the main reasons why landlords use EA's.

Well property news allowing private rentals is a new thing, and somewhat limited compared to what EA have access to. I was a LL and only used EAs because I had no other choice, they charged me a months rent for putting the flat on PN, with a 6 month contract.

The point is here the EAs are not adding any value unless the LL has alot of properties and wants to pay someone in a suit and car to show clients around, the OP was finding out about rent negotiations, a perfectly justifiable activity.

Well property news allowing private rentals is a new thing, and somewhat limited compared to what EA have access to. I was a LL and only used EAs because I had no other choice, they charged me a months rent for putting the flat on PN, with a 6 month contract.

The point is here the EAs are not adding any value unless the LL has alot of properties and wants to pay someone in a suit and car to show clients around, the OP was finding out about rent negotiations, a perfectly justifiable activity.

Propertynews advertising private LL properties is not new. I considered it over a year ago myself but used a local letting agent who charged me £200. If you paid an EA one months rent…. Well what more can I say?

The fact is the OP is complaining about how an EA handles the enquiry about rent negotiation. Before the OP publicly made assumptions that the EA was not acting in the best interests of the LL, the OP should have consider, was the EA acting on the instruction of the LL with regard to the price. From my own experience with selling and renting out property the seller/LL would agree to the price and instruct the EA to act on this price.

By adding a link to the property therefore publicly referring to the EA involved. The OP is publicly attacking the agent without knowing the content of any agreement or discussions the agent and the LL have had in regard to the properties price/rent.

If I was the EA involved I would be looking at this thread and seeking legal advise. See below.

Defamation

Essentially, libel and slander are legal claims that protect an individual’s reputation against defamation. In practical terms, a defamatory statement is one which injures the reputation of another person: that is if it “tends to lower him or her in the estimation of right-thinking members of society generally”.

An action for defamation can also be brought by: a company, in respect of statements that damage its business reputation.

I’ll send the EA an e-mail to ask the what they think. Let hope they don’t have to much free time.

I'm surprised a moderator didn't remove the link to the property/EA in the OP.

The supposed estate agent only has themselves to blame!! Demafation or not it doesnt cover the fact that ALL estate agents are surplus to requirements and the sooner landlords/sellers realise this the better!!

Daft.ie works perfectly well in the south and no reason why the propertynews landlord option wont kick off