House Price Crash Forum
Kyoto

Flat Without Building Regs

I have found a flat which I like and which is very keenly priced.

The issue is that it doesn't have 'building regs'.

What does this mean?

The building has them and every other flat in the building also has them, but not this particular flat.

I assume this is a don't touch it with a barge pole situation?

Correct. Not even going to bother explaining why, just forget about it.

P.S. Don't suppose this is the £125k flat you were considering buying in N London?

No, different flat.

Would be interested in a 1 line reply as to what it means? I wouldn't even consider it, I just thought it was an interesting situation that you would have to apply for these regs after completion. Weird!

Incidentally, there are no shortage of places in that price range in zone 4. It really isn't scraping the barrel that much with the collapse of the FTB market.

No, different flat.

Would be interested in a 1 line reply as to what it means? I wouldn't even consider it, I just thought it was an interesting situation that you would have to apply for these regs after completion. Weird!

Incidentally, there are no shortage of places in that price range in zone 4. It really isn't scraping the barrel that much with the collapse of the FTB market.

It means lots of remedial work to get it up to standard.

It means lots of remedial work to get it up to standard.

Imagine it like an mot for a house, it may be fine and just need approval, it may need tens of thousands spending on it. I would be surprised if you would get a mortgage on it without approval.

Unless the vendor can get it signed off quickly or you can get it for 20% of asking, walk away.

Imagine it like an mot for a house, it may be fine and just need approval, it may need tens of thousands spending on it. I would be surprised if you would get a mortgage on it without approval.

Unless the vendor can get it signed off quickly or you can get it for 20% of asking, walk away.

And there is probably a reason why this flat doesn't have approval when everything else in the development does.

I have found a flat which I like and which is very keenly priced.

The issue is that it doesn't have 'building regs'.

What does this mean?

The building has them and every other flat in the building also has them, but not this particular flat.

I assume this is a don't touch it with a barge pole situation?

Ask local Building Control how it has happended that this is the only property in the block not to be signed off.

It is most unusual

tim