House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Sky To Open Sheffield Customer Service Centre - Creating 500 Jobs

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/sky_to_open_sheffield_customer_service_centre_creating_500_jobs_1_2983065

SHEFFIELD has been handed a huge boost with the announcement Sky is to create more than 500 jobs in the city.

The media and communication giant announced it plans to create 1,500 jobs around the country with a third of those to be based in Sheffield.

The company plans to open a new customer service centre in the city centre - but has not yet revealed exactly where it will be.

Chris Stylianou, Director of Sky Customer Contact Centres, said: “We have picked Sheffield for its pool of talented prospective employees and its good transport links.”

“Over 500 new multi-skilled jobs will be produced, creating roles for many people within the city and proving that Sky has confidence in the people of Sheffield and their skills, knowledge and enterprise.

“At a time when Sheffield’s future is dependent on private sector growth, this investment shows the private sector has faith in the city and that Sheffield is really open for business and has the right support for businesses such as Sky to grow and be successful.”

Ann Allen, Business Investment Manager at Creativesheffield, said the news followed 18 months of work and collaboration between Sky, her organisation and the council.

She added: “The move will boost the profile and competitiveness of our city’s burgeoning digital and business services sectors on a global stage.”

Interested applicants can log on to www.workforsky.com for more information.

Added the job link for anyone wanting one of these exciting multi-skilled jobs, or anyone who just wants a job.

Love the VI spin that in our wonderful knowledge based economy the high point of job creation is call centre jobs which can be labelled as multi-skilled jobs. I suppose answering the phone, talking on the phone whilst entering details on a PC is quite multi-skilled. The spin it being taken to a whole new level on this.

I wonder what inducements Sky have been given to bring the jobs to Sheffield, rather than off-shoring them.

Nice to see CreativeSheffield taking some of the credit for bringing in these jobs, sounds like a pointless quango I wonder if this is their only "major" investment success. Anyone know of any other of their great successes in generating business?

Chris Stylianou, Director of Sky Customer Contact Centres, said: “We have picked Sheffield for its pool of talented prospective employees and its good transport links.”

The former rather than the latter surely?

No airport and still no sign of an electrified rail link, hardly makes us stand out from the crowd.

Odd, I thought that given the Economic situation Sky would be loosing customers.

Switching to FreeView/FreeSat saves you £20->£70 a month, quite an easy move to make...

Where are people cutting back?

Personally? Stopped buying stuff for my hobbie (mountain biking and photography - no new purchases this year). Stopped my gym membership (just going to buy some weights, should have done this a long time ago) and stopped buying coffee at work from fancy coffee carts and now drinking coffee from the machines (which is free, but terrible in comparison to the lovely coffee from the carts).

Savings from not buying 2-3 cups of coffee a year: 40-60 pounds a month which is 700-800 a year

Gym membership: 38 quid a month : 450 a year

No new purchases for hobbies: thousands

Think I will have to buy a new computer though for 450 quid. And that will last me for 2-4 years which means less spending on anything else as well. Just paying off the car, won't be buying a new car for at least 5 years I would say.

Odd, I thought that given the Economic situation Sky would be loosing customers.

The Sky "habit" is deeply ingrained, especially if you have kids. Today's young viewers would be lost without their repetitive fix of generic, interchangeable "comedy" shows like Zack and Cody with a Chance of a Suite Life at Waverly Place.

Honestly, one lookee-likey show has ended and the next one started --- and I haven't noticed. And it's not even the same show!

Personally? Stopped buying stuff for my hobbie (mountain biking and photography - no new purchases this year). Stopped my gym membership (just going to buy some weights, should have done this a long time ago) and stopped buying coffee at work from fancy coffee carts and now drinking coffee from the machines (which is free, but terrible in comparison to the lovely coffee from the carts).

Savings from not buying 2-3 cups of coffee a year: 40-60 pounds a month which is 700-800 a yearGym membership: 38 quid a month : 450 a year

No new purchases for hobbies: thousands

Think I will have to buy a new computer though for 450 quid. And that will last me for 2-4 years which means less spending on anything else as well. Just paying off the car, won't be buying a new car for at least 5 years I would say.

I work with people who will routinely buy 3 to 4 Starbucks/Costa/Cafe Nero coffees a day 5 days a week, works out at £1800 per year :blink: even though we have a decent coffee machine in the office. Thankfully i am a tea drinker and make my own :rolleyes:

Switching to FreeView/FreeSat saves you £20->£70 a month, quite an easy move to make...

Just walk into any supermarket and look at what type of products are being discounted - all branded goods. Last night when I was shopping row up row of half price branded cleaning stuff, toilettries, coffee, pies, cheese, cooked meats, etc. Now that half the population know that supermarket own label items are exactly same as the branded ones i.e wheetabix, they are buying these. The branded manufacturers have such good marketing machines they would only discount if they are forced too.

Pubs are also having a hard time as people drink at home.

When people are being austere they like some little luxuries and I would think they put sky in this category with the mentality of it is only £1.50 per day so if I make my own packed lunch or stop the starbucks then that pays for sky.

Just walk into any supermarket and look at what type of products are being discounted - all branded goods. Last night when I was shopping row up row of half price branded cleaning stuff, toilettries, coffee, pies, cheese, cooked meats, etc. Now that half the population know that supermarket own label items are exactly same as the branded ones i.e wheetabix, they are buying these. The branded manufacturers have such good marketing machines they would only discount if they are forced too.

Pubs are also having a hard time as people drink at home.

When people are being austere they like some little luxuries and I would think they put sky in this category with the mentality of it is only £1.50 per day so if I make my own packed lunch or stop the starbucks then that pays for sky.

we have no choice here...no ordinary TV signal and now its digi...no chance.

FM barely works too.

Football. It was costing me £60 for tickets for me and my wife, the petrol (120 mile round trip), a drink and maybe a veggie burger each (dont trust the ones allegedly made with meat) and suddenly it was closing on £100 to go and watch a match.

The driving factor for me was that the club just treat you like a moron. You pay to sit on hold on an 08712 number for 10 minutes to buy a ticket, you get herded around like sheep, the toilets are appalling and the food / beverage on offer are below par. I got to a stage where i resented spending any money with the club. So since Jan 2009 I have only bought 1 ticket. (but ive got in free to about 20 games since then)

Edited by Caveat Mortgagor

I work with people who will routinely buy 3 to 4 Starbucks/Costa/Cafe Nero coffees a day 5 days a week, works out at £1800 per year :blink: even though we have a decent coffee machine in the office. Thankfully i am a tea drinker and make my own :rolleyes:

I take that to it's logical extreme by just drinking water at work...

Save all the aggro of finding tea bags and boiling water.

Prepare yourself I’m about to save your hundreds of pounds!:

If you buy a FreeSat box you can just swap out you old Sky box with it, no need for anything to be done to the dish! Many FreeSat boxes now come with an Ethernet socket, so if you connect it you can watch Iplayer, YouTube Etc…

we have no choice here...no ordinary TV signal and now its digi...no chance.

FM barely works too.

Nice although it's not a substitute for normal TV, with FreeSat you get at least three HD channels, with more to follow.

I just play my iTouch through the telly. iPlayer, Youtube etc. Just need a 'Composite AV cable' to link them up.

How many hundreds does that save?