House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
_w_

Eas Personal Investments In The Property Market

I have long suspected that near 100% of estate agents had personal BTL investments in the property market. This seemed inevitable after 10-15 years of boom and the ever stranger behaviour of individual EAs trying to talk the sales and rental market up 'as a whole'.

I just noticed the following tidbit today as I was doing my now daily (it's too much fun to miss, even for a single day) rightmove doomfest party:

The vendor of this property is employed by this Company within the Estate Agents Act and a declaration to that effect is hereby made in accordance with Section 21 of that Act.

http://www.rightmove...3913215BEEAF881

The market has been on an accelerating downside trend over the last month. But the last few days have shown all the sheeple running for the exit at the same time.

This is funny considering the same EAs are still saying the prices and rental are going up :-)

Edited by _w_

EAs earn much less than they make out.

When I was an EA, I was buying flats and trying to do them up and make enough to buy a two bed house.

The properties I can aspire to are much better now.

EAs earn much less than they make out.

When I was an EA, I was buying flats and trying to do them up and make enough to buy a two bed house.

The properties I can aspire to are much better now.

Were you an EA in the 80s/90s?

That's interesting - last Summer one of the local EAs I know turned out to be selling a house not far myself but it was like getting blood out of a stone for the firm to admit that the seller was one of their own.

I have long suspected that near 100% of estate agents had personal BTL investments in the property market. This seemed inevitable after 10-15 years of boom and the ever stranger behaviour of individual EAs trying to talk the sales and rental market up 'as a whole'.

Of the agents I know I would say the number is more like 15-20%. I would say though that the vast majority or EA principles in know have BTLs. I agree that employee agents' basic pay is very poor and is topped up with commission. At the peak of the market 60% of my pay was commission now it's down to about 20% and my basic is little more than it was.

I nearly bought a studio appartment 4 years ago but decided to spend the money on a big German car. Turns out it was a much better investment :)

It might only be 20% with personal investments, but I bet it's almost 100% who have given the nod to their chums when there's a bargain to be had or a desperate seller to be slaughtered.

Edited by hedgefunded

It might only be 20% with personal investments, but I bet it's almost 100% who have given the nod to their chums when there's a bargain to be had or a desperate seller to be slaughtered.

One of my closest friends is an ea and most of the good bargains (i.e desperate sellers, bank repos) are bought by himself or relatives of his to be turned around for tidy profit!!! (well most of the time). Personally i dont see a problem in people behaving like this when our politicians do the same (fingers in pies etc). It may be wrong but what's good for the goose!!

(edited for typo)

Edited by ChadzKhan

I have long suspected that near 100% of estate agents had personal BTL investments in the property market.

EA's don't earn enough and they certainly don't have the practical skills to develop a property. Even the sight of a paint brush confuses and distresses them, they'll often grasp it by the bristle end, getting paint on their Next suits.

One of my closest friends is an ea and most of the good bargains (i.e desperate sellers, bank repos) are bought by himself or relatives of his to be turned around for tidy profit!!! (well most of the time). Personally i dont see a problem in people behaving like this when our politicians do the same (fingers in pies etc). It may be wrong but what's good for the goose!!

(edited for typo)

An EA near me is a front . Although in a High St position the houses for sale in his shop window are years old and none of them are really for sale but they are priced high. He seems to be only involved in distressed sales and probate - usually non local relatives of the deceased instruct him. He has numerous ltd companies registered at his address and is involved in letting but fails to maintain the properties. Although obviously involved in these properties he hides behind the various limited companies he sets up.

How do i know? He is involved with the house next door, lived in alone by a 90 yr old woman. There are no plug sockets upstairs, no central heating and half of the rooms are unuseable.He tells her that one person doesn't need so many rooms. It's a 3 bed and she's been there since the 50s.

He's also involved in a first floor flat conversion opposite. The plumbing in that flat is terrible and floods downstairs regularly. He only lets to HB as well and normally they speak no English but he turns a blind eye to the over occupation/sub letting. He's got 'em just where he wants them this way. A complete c**t . Terrible for the neighbourhood and occupants.