House Price Crash Forum
Brave New World

Will Self Question Time

Just switched over to see Will Self on tonight's panel.

No sooner than he was answering a question and he has just unleashed a legendary diatribe against the bangsters and then rhetorically asks 'what are we awaiting for? Another property asset bubble so we can all max out on credit!?'

Superb!

I deliberately miss QT as it's usually a load of hot air.

This Week, which follows it, is usually quite good though. Portillo and Brillo have both been (for a few months now) pessimistic about 2011 economy- (and Euro-) wise and so it will be interesting to see what they say about the latest GDP figures.

Edited by Mr Deflation

No sooner than he was answering a question and he has just unleashed a legendary diatribe against the bangsters and then rhetorically asks 'what are we awaiting for? Another property asset bubble so we can all max out on credit!?'

Superb!

Watching it as well, great rant by Will the rest of the panel looked shocked.

Do you think he has been reading HPC ?

Watching it as well, great rant by Will the rest of the panel looked shocked.

Do you think he has been reading HPC ?

He has the same tone doesn't he!

Would be a lovely thought but his writing is very cutting of the feckless absurdities of modern 'society', so i think it comes with the territory that he sees the folly of Brown's bubble just as we all do.

Will self actually seemed quite balanced and non-partisan tonight.

Liebour droid didnt seem to go down to well...maybe liebours continual usage of young pretty faces is finally coming back to haunt them...though he'd have to be pretty bad to be worse than gloria de piero...

Portillo talking about the printing of money world-wide..

Charles Clarke - one labour man I thoroughly like, intelligent and decent

That'll be inflation then, Mr Deflation ;)

Yes, desperately trying to stop deflation from happening. You have to give them credit for having balls though: there would have been a heck of a lot of deflation - they saw that - so they printed a heck of a lot of money!!

Still, one lot of prices are coming down. And coming down like a ton of bricks in real terms... HOUSES! :P

"there would have been a heck of a lot of deflation - they saw that - so they printed a heck of a lot of money!!"

Yes, and then gave it to the banksters, in return for some worthless derivative based assets!

They should have just chucked it out of helicopters for us! I could have understood that, we could have spent it more wisely..... :rolleyes:

Thought Will Self was brilliant though, you would not want to get into an argument with him, unless you wanted to be cut up like a knife through butter.

Edited by Noginthenog

Thought Will Self was brilliant though, you would not want to get into an argument with him, unless you wanted to be cut up like a knife through butter.

Is this episode worth watching then or will I end up grinding my teeth down to the gumline?

Superb!

I liked it when Self said that bit about the banks making money lending billions to each other, the camera panned to Chris Hoon smirking at him. It added a little bit of justification to my decision to despise the smarmy Hoon and everything he stands for.

Is this episode worth watching then or will I end up grinding my teeth down to the gumline?

No.

In the week that saw a dramatic drop in growth, Merv's speech about the pay squeeze and inflation ever increasing, Dumblebore open the show with a thinly disguised pop at Sky, and the first 2 questions were about Coulson and Andy effing Gray.

No.

In the week that saw a dramatic drop in growth, Merv's speech about the pay squeeze and inflation ever increasing, Dumblebore open the show with a thinly disguised pop at Sky, and the first 2 questions were about Coulson and Andy effing Gray.

The questions are apparently chosen by "members of the public" tongue.gif

For those who don't want to sit through it all, that Will Self bit starts here (with thanks to SarahBell, I didn't realise you could link so precisely into a programme)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00y92x0/Question_Time_27_01_2011/?t=44m10s

If it was a rant it was a very calm one. I liked his line about "the fetishisation of percentage points".

edit: I see dom got there first

further edit: check out the last three Joined dates

Edited by happily renting

I didn't realise you could link so precisely into a programme

That's going to prove very useful in future, for QT threads if nothing else.

He is quite interesting on the tele. Will have to buy one of his books

[There is an interesting lecture he gives to Google on youtube]

But have to say When I switched over he was stating that we had a massive boom followed by a massive bust.

No we didnt.

We had a massive housing boom. Followed by the bank bailouts which averted the massive bust!

Otherwise we would all have bought a house for 2.5-3.5x single salary!

Which is probably what the majority of homeowners of his generation paid!!

So no. On the whole he didnt get it.

[Having said that, Im sure in private his opinions may be slightly different and he understands how bad the deficit/debt really is, and the social injustice, but he has chosen not to say this in public on the BBC, or he has been told not to?]

Once we all begin to understand this about the BBC. They become irrelevant dont they?

Edited by Dan1