House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
needle

Question For Seasoned Hpc'ers...

Have been looking at a few properties lately.

Decided to do some viewings with the missus to keep 'match fit'.

Strangest thing has happened though; of 6 houses we have been to see 3 of them have been delisted as soon as we saw them.

That is, they are no longer listed on Rightmove or on the EAs website.

The only way they can be viewed is by doing a Google search and finding a cached page.

All were removed within 2 or 3 days of us viewing.

Its important to note that they did not go 'Sale Agreed' or 'Sold - STC' - they were totally removed and cannot be viewed or enquired about by anyone else.

EDIT - they are also NOT being moved to the rental market - I have checked.

Now I'm fairly sure these are not 'phantom' houses - ones the EA pretends are on sale to generate interest- because this is illegal.

So can the good burghers of HPC come up with any answers?

Why are houses being delisted almost as soon as we view them?

Edited by needle

So can the good burghers of HPC come up with any answers?

Why are houses being delisted almost as soon as we view them?

1. The vendors put their house on the market, but then their mortgage-to-move paperwork came back with a big red X on it.. they figured they'd stay put.

2. Public sector worker put on notice of redundancies

There are a few reasons this might happen.

Were these houses all forced sales, all homemovers, or a mix?

Often if a property has been on the market for ages and gets a viewing, the vendor finally gets round to telling the agent that they decided they weren't going to sell after all but just couldn't be bothered picking up the phone.

Pretty much what he said!

Friend of my wife has been trying to sell and then thought about renting it out. On with both agents. Then decided after about 2 months with only one rental viewing not to rent out as she didn't like the idea of someone living in her house ( how that is different to selling to someone else beats me!) Takes it off the rental agent. Within a couple of days someone turns up to view, the agent had arranged it and never bothered to tell the prospective tenant. Could be something similar. Did you put any offers in? If they were realistic, they may have had a dose of reality and realised a realistic selling price would leave them in NE, therefore pull the plug!

Now I'm fairly sure these are not 'phantom' houses - ones the EA pretends are on sale to generate interest- because this is illegal.

Lots of things are illegal - doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I can point you to a dozen or so properties I know have sold but are still shown on a local EA site.

If you've viewed one recently ring and ASK for a second viewing.

Edited by SarahBell

Lots of things are illegal - doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I can point you to a dozen or so properties I know have sold but are still shown on a local EA site.

If you've viewed one recently ring and ASK for a second viewing.

I agree - but 3 out of 6?

Seems pretty high to me.

I must have misunderstood because it seems to obvious too me?

I'll post on the off chance that I haven't!

When I sold my place the vendor requested that the agent ceased marketing it immediately, we were happy to agree as we had a cash buyer (the lady did well from her divorce!). The next day they removed the board outside the house, it came off the internet (having only been there for a day!) - I never saw the house in the agents window.

So here's a crazy thought - were the houses sold?

That said, a house on our street we had been tracking since it went on a few months ago (it's overpriced - our neighbours house has completed since this other one was listed!!) disappeared for a week and then came on again. Who knows why? We know it was bought by a developer and renovated but I think they paid too much, spent a load on it and can't reduce the price as they'll make a loss. Shame cos I actually don't begrudge developers who do up otherwise run down houses - we need more of that.

Edited by Orbital