House Price Crash Forum

Governments Stockpile Food Staples

HOLA441

Governments across the developing world are stockpiling food staples in an attempt to contain panic buying, inflation and social unrest.

But the hoarding is driving agricultural commodity prices even higher. The cost of wheat, the world’s most important staple, reached a fresh two-and-a-half-year high on Thursday, after countries from Algeria to Saudi Arabia announced extraordinary purchases.

FT link

HOLA442

Governments across the developing world are stockpiling food staples in an attempt to contain panic buying, inflation and social unrest.

But the hoarding is driving agricultural commodity prices even higher. The cost of wheat, the world's most important staple, reached a fresh two-and-a-half-year high on Thursday, after countries from Algeria to Saudi Arabia announced extraordinary purchases.

FT link

They are speculating. It was ever thus.

I've been quoting the following passage for years now.

(Rev 6:5 NIV) I looked, and there before me was a black horse! Its rider was holding a pair of scales in his hand. Then I heard what sounded like a voice among the four living creatures, saying, "
A quart of wheat for a day's wages
, and three quarts of barley for a day's wages, and do not damage the oil and the wine!"

In other words, when times get hard, the price of wheat goes up.

Some people see the revelation of St John as some sort of prediction. I don't. It's more like a biblical HPC.

HOLA443

They are speculating. It was ever thus.

I've been quoting the following passage for years now.

(Rev 6:5 NIV) I looked, and there before me was a black horse! Its rider was holding a pair of scales in his hand. Then I heard what sounded like a voice among the four living creatures, saying, "
A quart of wheat for a day's wages
, and three quarts of barley for a day's wages, and do not damage the oil and the wine!"

In other words, when times get hard, the price of wheat goes up.

Some people see the revelation of St John as some sort of prediction. I don't. It's more like a biblical HPC.

I wondered where ole black went!

HOLA444
HOLA445

I wondered where ole black went!

Oh damn, you're here already?

I looked and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death, and Hell was following close behind him.

PS. Red and white phoned. They want a party when they get back from the great game.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

hold one, let's get this right - if the price of commodoties is going to rocket with governments getting in on the act then anyone on here when the 'crisis' hit will be able to buy a full property portfolio.

i estimate bogle's bunker to have a NPV of $165.45m

most of that is tied up in pasta and beans and tuna.