House Price Crash Forum

Trouble Ahead

dubsie

HOLA441

While we all sit here and moan about property prices and how our standard of living has fallen 12% over the last two years, I think at some point we are all going to realise that things are about to go very wrong.

There are a lot of problems coming our way and the current economic crisis has somehow taken our minds off some of the real problems that face us all. Climate change is here and the world has failed to to get on top of carbon emissions. Despite all the hype from the politicians and taxes we have all paid, us humans are still taking too much from our planet.

Brazil has just approved the Belo Monte Damn, Polar Ice Caps are melting at an alarming rate, Polar Bears swimming hundreds of miles to find land, realisation that we may not be able to feed the world, oil prices soaring amid fears of peak oil, shocking localised climatic events are hitting the news.....

I honestly believe in a years time the topics on this forum may well be centred on oil and food prices as opposed to housing.

HOLA442

While we all sit here and moan about property prices and how our standard of living has fallen 12% over the last two years, I think at some point we are all going to realise that things are about to go very wrong.

There are a lot of problems coming our way and the current economic crisis has somehow taken our minds off some of the real problems that face us all. Climate change is here and the world has failed to to get on top of carbon emissions. Despite all the hype from the politicians and taxes we have all paid, us humans are still taking too much from our planet.

Brazil has just approved the Belo Monte Damn, Polar Ice Caps are melting at an alarming rate, Polar Bears swimming hundreds of miles to find land, realisation that we may not be able to feed the world, oil prices soaring amid fears of peak oil, shocking localised climatic events are hitting the news.....

I honestly believe in a years time the topics on this forum may well be centred on oil and food prices as opposed to housing.

and some people just want a job, shame on them.

HOLA443
HOLA444

I never lived on credit, i never lived beyond my means. I dont like shopping.

I drive a car that does 35-40mpg that cost next to nothing. If petrol doubles, ill get a 70mpg diseasal. If it double again, ill cut half my mileage out

A lot more people are going to suffer a change of lifestyle before me.

Climate change has always been there. Latest *shock* report says sea levels 4m up in 1000 years.

1000 years!!!

We'll have far more likely succumbed to bio warfare, an islamist genocide of infidels, or sheer overpopulation by then.

HOLA445

If everything is as bad as you say, in a year's time the polar ice meltwater will come bursting into our living rooms, and we will be crushed by the swimming polar bear (which was riding the wave) before we even have time to drown

HOLA446

If everything is as bad as you say, in a year's time the polar ice meltwater will come bursting into our living rooms, and we will be crushed by the swimming polar bear (which was riding the wave) before we even have time to drown

lol....I don't think it will be that dramatic. My point is that house prices probably won't be important. The problem will be how the hell to I heat my home in the winter, or feed my family when food prices rocket this autumn.

For lots of us it might be just a matter of cutting back but for many working families cutting back isn't an option....they are already in poverty. As soon as people start to go without food you get unrest.

As for Global Warming, anyone who doesn't believe current scientific consesus is a bit a fool or is simply fooling themselves. C02 is rising and started rising around the age of industrialisation....the very period we have seen massive global temp rise. If you look at sun spots, magnetic data from the earth etc etc the world should be actually cooling. The problem is some people simply don't care about the fact that our greed is destroying natural habitat, as they are more concerned about wealth and power and fund scientific nut jobs to rubbish climate change findings.

HOLA447

Climate change have nothing to do with mankind's activities.

HOLA448

lol....I don't think it will be that dramatic. My point is that house prices probably won't be important. The problem will be how the hell to I heat my home in the winter, or feed my family when food prices rocket this autumn.

For lots of us it might be just a matter of cutting back but for many working families cutting back isn't an option....they are already in poverty. As soon as people start to go without food you get unrest.

As for Global Warming, anyone who doesn't believe current scientific consesus is a bit a fool or is simply fooling themselves. C02 is rising and started rising around the age of industrialisation....the very period we have seen massive global temp rise. If you look at sun spots, magnetic data from the earth etc etc the world should be actually cooling. The problem is some people simply don't care about the fact that our greed is destroying natural habitat, as they are more concerned about wealth and power and fund scientific nut jobs to rubbish climate change findings.

Oh missus, you are so yesterday in your terminology. Now that it is cooling and snowing more and pissing it down in all four seasons in the UK it is now climate change here, get with the PR speak.. Other countries maybe have global warming we have climate change. As to whether that is caused by CO2, sunspots, el nina cows farting has not been proved.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Always the sky is about to fall, and yet always the sky stays resolutely up there...

18 months time will see prices down at least 30% from their highs

I still think 14th September for a major banking failure.

Can I be on the record on this point...been saying it for months now.

Most of the discussion on this site this time next year will be about food shortages and rising food prices, house's are the least of our worries just surving will be the object.

I reckon the big new story for 2009 will be the tanking of the bond market in the UK and the USA (UK in particular as not reserve currency) .

the euro to be 1=£1.15 + by the end of march 2009..

I do - and we will see it [the FTSE 100] below 1000 possibly around beginning 2010 if not before

house prices will increase steadily, this time next year i will not be surprised to see house prices have doubled or tripled :o .

However a loaf or bread will cost about £500 so its all relative isn,t it?

Sure living standards are going to fall - Mr Mervyn King said as much recently - but total collapse in a year seems highly improbable.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Climate change induced by mankind is real. The science is sound. The lack of belief is fuelled by the media, who are mostly social sciences and humanities students not natural scientists, and the mega rich individuals and business who don't want it to be true and will pay lots of money to be told it isn't.

No I don't see the collapse of social structure or us being deluged by rising sea levels in my lifetime, but since we complain about the legacy we have been left with by our greedy selfish baby boomer parents, we should not do the same to our children. If we want to be regarded as the mature sensible generation we need to act like it.

HOLA4415

Climate change induced by mankind is real. The science is sound. The lack of belief is fuelled by the media, who are mostly social sciences and humanities students not natural scientists, and the mega rich individuals and business who don't want it to be true and will pay lots of money to be told it isn't.

No I don't see the collapse of social structure or us being deluged by rising sea levels in my lifetime, but since we complain about the legacy we have been left with by our greedy selfish baby boomer parents, we should not do the same to our children. If we want to be regarded as the mature sensible generation we need to act like it.

wasnt there a program on last weekend about the ice caps moving up and down.

how the Thames used to be in Suffolk and North Essex but moved by a melting glacier.

how lochness was under over a mile of ice.

and that it all melted.

long before man arrived.

And in spite of all that ice melting....here we are.

HOLA4416

:lol:

Funniest thing I've heard this week!

HOLA4417

And don't forget those who worked on the smoking-lung cancer denialist campaign and found a new job.

You also have to blame the postmodernists, who made it intellectually acceptable to deny reality, and insist that the conclusions that people reach are entirely due to their 'worldview' and nothing to do with an underlying objective reality, which according to them does not exist. On an intellectual level, it is amusing to see supposedly hard headed conservatives using such airy-fairly leftist ideas; on the practical level of what-is-the-best-thing-for-humanity, it isn't.

Well.. given that China seems hell-bent on burning every scrap of coal it can find in record time, the West is doing nothing to move away from fossil fuels (apart from erecting a few token windmills and acting surprised that that have f-all effect) and the rest of the developing world are hardly going to restrain their own development against this backdrop (and why should they?).. I would not be entirely surprised to see some major impacts in the next 50 years. Ironically, if China cleans up it's act as far as sulphur dioxide aerosol emissions go, we could see a warming jump pretty quickly.

As far as real impacts go, I'd expect that changes in the hydrological cycle (i.e. drought/flood/moving targets for agriculture) will be the first noticable impact - indeed if you live in Pakistan, Russia, or Australia you could arguably claim to be already witnessing these changes. As far as sea level changes in our lifetimes go.. there is geological evidence that sea level rise of 10m per century can happen. 'Can' and 'will' are, of course, separate matters.

Of course, it could all be a conspiracy whereby teh Evil Vested Environut Interests are suppressing the efforts of the Poor, Heroic and Honest Oil and Coal industry-sponsored talking heads scientists, or would do if said Heroic Scientists actually published anything.

HOLA4418

wasnt there a program on last weekend about the ice caps moving up and down.

how the Thames used to be in Suffolk and North Essex but moved by a melting glacier.

how lochness was under over a mile of ice.

and that it all melted.

long before man arrived.

And in spite of all that ice melting....here we are.

Men of Rock is the program.

(I'm not quite sure how the existence of natural changes of climate disproves man made changes - quite the opposite, but if your starting axiom is that man made global warming cannot happen then you have to twist logic a bit)

HOLA4419

If you Subscribe to both he global warming carbon model and peak oil theory you should realise that every penny spent on reducing co2 is wasted. Peak oil means returning to Edwardian lifestyles and an automatic reduction in co2 or using nuclear (no co2) or wind or wave or sun etc. Global warming will come to a natural end as we diminish the volumes of fossil fuels. I'd rather see those pounds spent on making the world a better place than a place it is destined to become anyway, spend or not.

HOLA4420

The planet is fine, the people are ****ed.

+1 I'll never get bored of that one!

I wonder what the scientific consensus would be, should every car/truck/train/ship/office/factory/home etc all run on clean energy.....and yet the CO2 levels still rise?!?

Instead of worrying about things which may or may not happen in a 100 years, maybe we should start pooling resources to intercept more pressing issues instead. Resources, energy and food would be a good start.

HOLA4421

I'd love to. Now do you want to tell the Chinese to stop breading and building power stations or shall I?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
As far as sea level changes in our lifetimes go.. there is geological evidence that sea level rise of 10m per century can happen. 'Can' and 'will' are, of course, separate matters.

Of course, it could all be a conspiracy whereby teh Evil Vested Environut Interests are suppressing the efforts of the Poor, Heroic and Honest Oil and Coal industry-sponsored talking heads scientists, or would do if said Heroic Scientists actually published anything.

Were those 10m sea level changes caused by man?

Who sponsors the environuts?

HOLA4424
Climate change is here and the world has failed to to get on top of carbon emissions. Despite all the hype from the politicians and taxes we have all paid, us humans are still taking too much from our planet.
It's not the climate change or carbon emissions we need to worry about, it's the fact that we're rapidly using up the finite resources that our civilisation depends on. Adding a small percentage of extra CO2 to our atmosphere might or might not have influenced the climate, as we can't rule out natural variation, and the sharp rise in global temperatures during the 1990's hasn't continued over the last 10 years.

But when if comes to finite resources, it's not whether or not they'll run out but when. Will oil last 40 years or 60 years? North Sea gas is already running out. Will known reserves of uranium last 80 years or 100 years? Anyway, when oil and gas start to run low, CO2 emissions will start to reduce and so any effect on the climate is bound to be temporary and reversible.

Sea levels have been rising for at least the last 20,000 years, when the world came out of the last ice age. Even as recently as 6000 years ago, the Dogger Bank in the North Sea was a large island as big as Yorkshire. In Roman times, the Isles of Scilly were joined together as one larger island. The sea levels were lower because so much more of the world's water was locked up as ice sheets over land. There is a process called isostacy - whereby the earth's crust is pushed down by the weight of ice on top - sinks by 25% of the thickness of the ice. As the ice melted, the land started to rise up slowly - a process that's still going on, and is thought to be the cause of many of small earth tremors that occur in UK from time to time.

HOLA4425

It's not the climate change or carbon emissions we need to worry about, it's the fact that we're rapidly using up the finite resources that our civilisation depends on. Adding a small percentage of extra CO2 to our atmosphere might or might not have influenced the climate, as we can't rule out natural variation, and the sharp rise in global temperatures during the 1990's hasn't continued over the last 10 years.

Well, actually it has but..

I wounder how many people would put money on the 2010-2019 period being colder than 2000-2009? (unless there is a major volcanic eruption on the pinatabu scale)?

Archived